Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 6:49 pm

I am bad at remembering things like the time something happened. I rarely remember time periods, people or events. Instead I have extremely vivid memories of single scenes and situations, most of them not even special or important. For example I have only little memory of my elementary school time - I couldn't tell you who was in the class with me, which teachers I had or what subjects I liked - but I do remember a specific evening during that time when I was sitting at home in my room, playing the first Harry Potter pc game, being in a cave where meteorites were falling from the ceiling, and then my parents coming in and telling me they were going out to see friends and that I was supposed to call them if anything happened.

Is that an "autism thing"? I guess so, because we focus on detail and not so much on the general facts?

EDIT: And also, I sometimes get "flashbacks" into these situations. It's almost like reviving it. I feel and think like a child again, or at least I remember closely what I thought or felt in that situation. It's interesting, but also makes me melancholic.

Last edited by Sanctus on 12 Apr 2013, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RagingShadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2013, 6:52 pm

I remember most everything, but I also have very detailed memories of specific scenes.
I tend to remember conversations (the words, not the emotions) and replay them with every possible combination, see all the outcomes.
I also see most of my memories from an outside perspective, not from my eyes.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 7:29 pm

I recently came into contact with a childhood friend I hadn't seen or spoken to in 40 years. He tried refreshing my memory about other schoolmates and teachers we knew when we were 10/11 years old; unfortunately, I just don't remember them. Chances are I didn't look them in the face even back then. I do remember planting green beans in agriculture class, taking notes in music appreciation class and making architectural sketches in a drafting class. I also remembered one particular accident when another student accidentally cut my forearm with a broken glass. I had to go to the hospital and receive stitches for that incident.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

12 Apr 2013, 8:56 pm

I remember many things from my childhood/distant past, though I can remember both general and specific things. I think I have better than average far-long term memory as when I talk to people about experiences we've both been through a long time ago often I can recall it in detail whilst they can barely remember. I have particularly vivid memories of things which had a lot of significance to me in the past and get 'flashbacks' of them (this often happens at night whilst I just get into bed).

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

My family complains about my detailed memory. I try not to "share" memories because they don't remember and it's a downer for them. It's too bad, because sometimes I'd like to ask why something happened, or where so-and-so went. But I let it go.

CuppaTea
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2013, 9:16 pm

I do not remember anything before I was about six years old. I also have a really hard time remembering faces and individual voices. (caller ID made everything so much easier) But I have an extremely good memory for things I read. I did a few Shakespeare plays in school, and I was always the kid who had their lines memorized first. I got through history class by literally memorizing chunks of the textbook and scanning it in my head during the test, them promptly "deleting" it as soon as it became irrelevant. (I've become a lot more passionate about history now that I'm not being forced to learn it.) And of course, I can quote my favorite movies and stand up comics verbatim. :roll:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 10:34 pm

It seems I remember literally everything of any significance in vivid photographic memory. I have memories from when I was under 4 like this as well, and with help from my mum, I can remember them very, very clearly and make sense of them in my mind, since out of context, some are weird. Then again, I don't have anything in my mind that 16 years or older in age, so these may become less vivid when I'm older. And I get the flashbacks, too, sometimes unwanted. Well, mostly. All the bad memories seem to come back to haunt me which is scary :(

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2013, 10:40 pm

I have very detailed memory for stuff that happened , and also for information.
But I have close to none when it comes to events-- maybe because I lack a reference point... as in, staring in the air doesn't remind me what the date/ time/ day is.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:
I have very detailed memory for stuff that happened , and also for information.
But I have close to none when it comes to events-- maybe because I lack a reference point... as in, staring in the air doesn't remind me what the date/ time/ day is.

I never know the date/time/day. I never did know. Oh boy is time ever an illusion! Thank heaven for computers.