Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2013, 9:43 pm

I've returned to WP after a break of about 3 years due to cancer . As I live just out of a small country town and am DX Aspergers I'm extremely isolated. Would like to get in touch with other older aspies.
As well as overcoming Cancer, and being Aspie I also have CFS. My interests are art,philosophy,psychology, reading, writing and recently swimming.
At present I feel quite "lost" as my life has changed dramatically since my surgery and treatment and I'm now at the stage of realizing that I need to find myself, so to speak, and create a new life purpose. My energy levels are poor and I need to focus on a narrow field of interest within physical capabilities, so I guess i'm having an identity crisis.
Anyone out there older than 50 who has grappled with these identity changing crises recently?

Thanks for reading my post!
Dancyclancy

Timtam71
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2013, 7:31 am

:wink: hi, I think it's like we are meant to be like spiders and weave a web each day take any path try this and that and then if you don't like it pull it down at the end of day and then spin another web tomorrow, it's part of the journey and the web of life, yes.....have you got one of those dream catchers? Maybe by one and remind yourself of the web of life

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 9:18 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Boxdog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2013, 1:35 am

Well, I'm from Australia but I'm not over 50. I can relate in some ways to you. Although where abouts are you and how did you get diagnosed? I'm at a point in my life I think I need an official diagnosis to try and figure out whats wrong with me but I don't yet feel confident about visiting my psychiatrist to do it.

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2013, 2:41 am

Thanks all for your replies.
Dark Rain,

Boxdog.:
I live in North East Victoria and I didn't go to a psychiatrist for a diagnosis but to a clinic that deals with people on the autistic spectrum "Embracing the Other Half" in Pymble, a Sydney suburb. Where do you live?

Tim Tam71:

As I am energy poor I cannot try this and that to see what suits me. I know what my interests are but cannot follow them in , what I consider to be a productive manner, as I used to do prior to severe illness.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 2:50 am

I'm in the opposite corner of Vic and under 50, but just wanted to say hi and welcome :)

Boxdog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Apr 2013, 12:41 am

Hi Dancyclancy, I live in the opposite corner of Victoria too, in Melbourne, and I've done some research on where you can go and how to get diag'd and it seems you can go to a clinical psychotherapist instead. Cost is around the $700 mark, and I'm hoping I can get some kind of rebate on the Medicare MHCP.

Hey yellowtamarin, when are we having our next melbourne meetup!! :)

ElunidIdol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2013, 12:30 am

Hi....I've just joined and I'm 50 and from Sydney.