Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 11:23 pm

It's been an interesting experience.
It's still really new to me, to know that I'm autistic, I have Asperger's, I'm on the spectrum. I figured it out in February, became almost totally sure of my self diagnosis on my 32 birthday. Only got a diagnosis three weeks ago. Still don't actually have the details of that, and I'm sure there's more to the process.
My little sister is autistic, like traditional, or low functioning. My mom adopted her when she was really young. So she's been around my sister full time for almost twenty years now. But I basically don't know my sister. I've lived with my mom less than six months out of the last 18 years (or so).
My mom seemed like she was really, really offended at first. I had spent about a month hyperfocused on self analysis, reflecting on my whole life, with this piece of the puzzle that is Asperger's. Laughing and crying at the same time because a lot of things suddenly made sense. I was convinced, and seeking help. Finally comfortable seeking help. I've had some bad experiences with the medical system.
So I sent my mom a message, saying "mom, I think I'm autistic..."
And as far as I can tell, she was pissed when she replied. I think I spent a month overwhelming her with messages, asking about what I was like when I was little, trying to get her to read an article about Asperger's.
It really didn't feel like she was on my side. Until I did an intake at the regional center here, and they called her, and talked to her for about an hour. Then it seemed like things changed, and she actually believed me. But it still doesn't feel like she's on my side.
It's kind of heartbreaking. I'm not sure she understands how much of an impact it's had on me. I don't even really understand it yet, but I thought she'd be on my side.
I'm sure that her and I will make some progress, it's still pretty early.
But it's really interesting the way people seem to react, the range of reactions, and the people who react the way they do. And sometimes it is infuriating.
I've realized that I do need to specify, sometimes, that it's Asperger's. If I say autistic, that's just too broad of a thing.
And I realize that I'm getting away from the original point here of family members who don't believe diagnosis.
And I'm just going to get more carried away if I continue.