Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 1:12 pm

Anyone here into computer repair:
Which aspects do you like the most, software errors or hardware errors or your choice?

Jainz
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2013, 3:07 pm

Sort of - I just had to beat some sense into my computer this weekend. Still not entirely sure what caused it, but I fixed it, that's what matters. :D

I don't mind software errors, so long as I have full admin powers over the machine I'm working on, but I think I prefer hardware errors. I like having an excuse to open up the case.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Anyone here into computer repair:
Which aspects do you like the most, software errors or hardware errors or your choice?

Hardware is usually the easiest to detect and fix. Software is a different story, depending on the operating system. Windoze always gave me fits, because of the damned registry. Macs are a helluva lot easier to take care of software problems, since 99% of the time, you pull the .plist file out of ~/Library, start the app back up and see if the issue disappears. The rest of the Unices, don't even ask. 8O

Chrisicus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2013, 3:53 pm

I'm very good at software, virus riddled computers are horrible to fix! I'm much more theoretical then practical, I'm ham fisted so I end up breaking everything so I stick to software stuff :D

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 5:27 pm

I love playing with hardware and it's one of my Aspie Obsessions to be able to build the most machine for the least cash. I've got it down to a fine art. ;)

BeautifulTechno
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2013, 8:26 am

Hardware is what makes the machine work, so I prefer much prefer the hardware. Sure, software is also important.

Simba7
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2013, 9:47 am

I'm a pro at this stuff. You should see my network.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 11:07 am

I'm an amateur at solving software problems, it is mainly through google-fu, although last time I tried it was enough to let me repair a windows machine with a damaged boot sector without having to reformat it. I like fooling around with software in general.

Hardware, on the other hand, is beyond me at the moment.

BeautifulTechno
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2013, 12:06 pm

I think if you can handle software too well, you will do rather great in hardware.

Just saying.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

Heh, thanks. I definitely want to get into hardware eventually, I'm bound to learn about it in uni later on, or ask a cousin for guidamce or something.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 6:32 am

I service my own computers and have done for years, even laptops which are slightly harder to work with due to the mass of screws taking them apart and limitation on what can be replaced anyway. I know enough to fix most software issues, however with both software and hardware there is more to learn so I am taking CompTIA A+ (which I mentioned in another thread)

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 6:04 pm

Don't get me started about certifications. Most of the time, I know more than the techs they send out to fix my machines. I've always said what matters is what you know in your head, not what some damn piece of paper says. The only reason you need the damn piece of paper is to satisfy some dumb requirement by management that says this person knows what they can do.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 7:20 pm

BeautifulTechno wrote:
I think if you can handle software too well, you will do rather great in hardware.

Software and hardware are two completely different worlds that have very little to do with each other.

I've known lots of coders who knew nothing about hardware, and hardware geeks (like me!) who can barely scratch out "Hello World" in BASIC.

Of course, if you can do one you're certainly smart enough to learn the other. ;)

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 7:45 pm

I'm actually in a volunteer internship for computer repair. I'm studying under a former Compaq IT consultant. I'm thinking about going back to college for network engineering or network security, maybe, too.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 10:39 am

I do anything from hardware to software. I do not know how to repair hardware so I usually just replace it. I can fix most software issues. I've fixed problems in Windows and Mac, but not linux. Not enough customers for that. I rarely have problems with linux to begin with.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 7:44 pm

BeautifulTechno wrote:

Just saying.

Nope, not me. But then again, it's more a "I suck at tasks requiring good hands" sort of thing and not just computer hardware.