Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

1. The Dark Knight - Brilliant underlying themes and plot, gripping performances, excellent portrayal and take on Batman villains.

2. Inception - Mind bending effects, a thrilling story and impressive performances from the cast. Although similar story lines have been seen in The Matrix, Dark City, Existenz and The Thirteenth Floor, this was a different approach to it and it captured it with a good sense of reality and immersion.

3. The Prestige - Excellent plot and performances, one of Nolan's better twists was in this film, great performances and an innovative story.

4. Batman Begins - An interesting portrayal of the league of shadows, a good origins story, good character development of Bruce Wayne and more true to the comic books in the way that Gotham was portrayed.

5. The Dark Knight Rises - Great choreography in the action scenes, a noble effort, excellent soundtrack, a few underlying themes but it had a few plot holes that took away from the film being consistent and I didn't feel it was as immersive as The Dark Knight. However it is still a great movie but not as great as the others, certain scenes like the Sewer fight or the Wall Street scene are great though.

If you had to rate them as films and not on personal opinions but based on production values, What are your top 5 Christopher Nolan films?

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 6:41 pm

You basically just listed the last five movies he made :P I know I would have at least included Memento in the top five, probably omitting The Dark Knight Rises, with Insomnia not quite making it either. I still haven't seen his first film, Following, but I own the other 7 on blu-ray.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins
4. Inception
5. The Prestige

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 6:03 am

eelektrik wrote:
You basically just listed the last five movies he made :P I know I would have at least included Memento in the top five, probably omitting The Dark Knight Rises, with Insomnia not quite making it either. I still haven't seen his first film, Following, but I own the other 7 on blu-ray.

Well he only did the directing for Insomnia and not the screenplay and as for Memento, I haven't seen it yet.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
eelektrik wrote:

Well he only did the directing for Insomnia and not the screenplay and as for Memento, I haven't seen it yet.

You should fix that, its a fantastic movie. Christopher Nolan wrote the screenplay for Memento based on a short story written by his brother Jonathan Nolan(Who also worked on the screenplay for The Prestige, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and created the show Person of Interest).

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2013, 1:03 am

eelektrik wrote:

I believe the Criterion Collection recently (as in this year) released a Blu-Ray of "Following", although last time I checked you could watch it via, ahem, shall we say, quasi-legal means on Youtube.

"Following" is pretty fantastic when you consider the fact that Nolan was working with a budget of just $10,000 (which is crazy when you consider the fact that candidate-for-worst-film-of-all-time "The Room" cost $6 million). Solid acting, good cinematography for such a low budget, an engaging story (though probably a little less deftly plotted than his later films). And there's a lot of typical Nolan-esque elements to the film, like the non-linear storytelling that you see in "Memento", "The Prestige", and to a lesser extent "Inception". And then weird coincidences, like a major character being named "Cobb", or the main character having a Batman sticker on the door to his flat. Definitely a film I would recommend to an aficionado of Nolan's other works.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 2:51 pm

Memento

Batman Begins

Inception

The Dark Knight

Following

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 3:32 pm

1) Memento
2) Batman Begins
3) The Dark Knight
4) Inception
5) The Prestige

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Frenchaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2013, 4:39 pm

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Inception

I did not like or see the others :oops:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 5:04 pm

The Batman trilogy, Inception, and Memento.

Those are ones I've seen. All good movies.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2013, 5:44 am

1) The Prestige
2) The Dark Knight
3) Memento
4) Inception
5) Batman Begins

I haven't seen TDKR, Insomnia, or Following.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 10:28 am

1. Memento
2. Insomnia
3. Inception
4. The Dark Knight Rises

The others do very little for me.

(Haven't seen Following, though. Now I sort of want to.)