Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Explosions hit Boston Marathon

Two people have been killed and at least 23 injured in two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, police say.

The blasts shattered the carnival atmosphere of one of the biggest sporting events in the US, causing panic and confusion.

A later incident at JFK Library in the city appears not to have caused casualties, Boston police say.

Horrible. My thoughts are with the families of those killed and injured in the blast, and those wondering where their friends and kin are.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 4:56 pm

A third bomb has exploded near the John F. Kennedy Library.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 4:57 pm

I'm guessing this is the work of a Timothy McVeigh type right wing nutjob.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 15 Apr 2013, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Apr 2013, 4:57 pm

It's terrible and abundantly clear in its intention. It looks very similar to the types of IEDs you see overseas to me but I don't know. Can't really say anything more until there is more information.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 4:58 pm

thomas81 wrote:

It's far too early to say anything like that. I'd say nothing until we know for sure. No-one should be blamed without proof - Islamist fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists or other terrorists.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:00 pm

Clearly the action of sick cowards, regardless of which loony affiliation. Hope there are no more. :evil:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

duncvis wrote:
Clearly the action of sick cowards, regardless of which loony affiliation. Hope there are no more. :evil:

This. There are a lot of scummy bastards about like this.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:10 pm

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

It's far too early to say anything like that. I'd say nothing until we know for sure. No-one should be blamed without proof - Islamist fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists or other terrorists.

Well that is America's problem, it has collected so many enemies over the years people with an axe to grind are queuing up to take pot shots at it. Now it has to trawl through a list of potential culprits.

I am suggesting its more likely to be right wing extremist or survivalist because Al Quaeda's style is to target areas of economic value- London, Madrid, New York etc. Boston? This seems more likely to be an odd loner with a personal agenda. Just a theory.

I hope to god it isn't Islamic terrorists. It will just give the white house a pretext to invade another country and wage an onslaught against another innocent populace with thousands of combatants and civilians alike dying in the process.

My deviant art profile

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

There were other undetonated bombs found, it seems fairly consistent with Al Qaeda. Set a few bombs off and wait for emergency responders to come. I find it unlikely to be the work of a lone wolf considering the number of bombs. A lot of speculation about the bombs being in backpacks dropped into garbage cans detonated with cellphones and that services in the area were shutdown to prevent any more detonations. The execution seems very similiar to the Madrid bombings.

The have been some reports about the police guarding a person of interest at the hospital, the New York Post has been reporting that the person of interest is a Saudi national. None of this has been confirmed, most of this is just speculation I suspect and the fog of information at the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I hope to god it isn't Islamic terrorists. It will just give the white house a pretext to invade another country and wage an onslaught against another innocent populace with thousands of combatants and civilians alike dying in the process.

Saudi National + Bombing = Islamic Terrorist

Here we go again ...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:44 pm

Jacoby wrote:
There were other undetonated bombs found, it seems fairly consistent with Al Qaeda. Set a few bombs off and wait for emergency responders to come. I find it unlikely to be the work of a lone wolf considering the number of bombs. A lot of speculation about the bombs being in backpacks dropped into garbage cans detonated with cellphones and that services in the area were shutdown to prevent any more detonations. The execution seems very similiar to the Madrid bombings.

I really hope it's not an Islamist attack, because it won't do cultural Muslims (who seem to be many in the U.S.) or people who simply identify themselves as Muslim who are essentially atheist that are genuinely trying their best to integrate any good.

I do think that the U.S. needs to take a stronger line on Islamic fanaticism, but by the same token it could also do to avoid military intervention in other countries unless there's a particularly good reason for it. (i.e. Defending people from other religions against genocide.)

Last edited by Tequila on 15 Apr 2013, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:48 pm

If this is indeed the work of Islamists, 'taking a stronger line on Islamic fanaticism' is going to invariably mean encouraging and cultivating an atmosphere where muslims from all walks of life in America are going to be persecuted. What is needed, is a cold and sober look at why Islamic groups are targeting America. Unfortunately, the liberal and conservative think tanks will ignore it, but the undeniable truth is that all roads lead to Americas dogmatic and unapologetic unconditional support for Israel, and their ongoing, unwanted involvement in other predominantly muslim countries. The saddest part is that if this provokes a war in yet another muslim country these terrorist attacks will simply be perpetuated and the cycle will start again, poisoning yet another generation.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 15 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:49 pm

It's bad news whoever is responsible.

The Saudi national story which was denied at first has now been confirmed by multiple sources.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:50 pm

Jacoby wrote:
It's bad news whoever is responsible.

Agreed.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2013, 8:10 pm

120+ injured now. One of the two dead an eight-year-old.

This is really depressing. Just ... depressing. And the most depressing part is the fact that this person probably doesn't feel any guilt.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 8:50 pm

thomas81 wrote:

It seems that's what you're hoping for.
:roll: