Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

monkeylodge
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2013, 3:14 pm

Hi Although I joined a long time ago this is my first post. I always knew my son was different and used to joke that he lived on a different planet. He had some problems at school concentrating but he was well liked by his teachers. He was bullied for being different but I did not realise that he had a problem, I just thought he was who he was. He is very intelligent and did well at school getting good A levels (we live in England). The major problems started when he went to University. He completed about half the course and then left because of depression. He was then diagnosed with ADD. He has had problem sticking at jobs and suffered a lot with low esteem and depression, he tried University again and managed to complete a third of the course. His problems continued and he has not worked since. About a year ago he was diagnosed with Aspergers. He has a partner who also suffers from mental health problems and has also (in the last 3 months) been diagnosed with Aspergers. They live in social housing and are under threat of eviction due to their Aspergers and mental health problems. I am at my wits end and I don't know how to help. From a neurotypical point of view l can see both sides of the problem but they see things completely differently. I am trying to act as a go between and am really concerned about the effects this is having on both of them. I don't know what to do.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm

you are definitely in the right place.

in the US, it is illegal for someone to be evicted due to a disability.

monkeylodge
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2013, 4:13 am

Thank you. I am not exactly sure of the situation here. We have complained of discrimination to the housing provider with a back up letter from my sons psychologist confirming his diagnosis but they have just ignored us. Even if they will not be evicted this is taking a big toll on them both. My sons partner self harms and in the past attempted suicide she is on the edge at the moment.

Last edited by monkeylodge on 19 Apr 2013, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

Welcome! :D

WitchsCat
Veteran