Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

robsten1990
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2013, 5:23 pm

I´ve always loved Moomin (Japanese animated version) and I still watch it from time to time. The colouring is so nice and calm. My favorite character is Little My, she is both bad ass and has a good heart. Also when I was little I thought Snufkin was hot :lol: I will always find the Groke scary, I know now that she is only alone and I do feel sorry for her. Still I have nightmares containing her. I don´t really have a favorite episode to be honest.

Do you like Moomin?

What´s your favorite character/characters?

Favorite episode(s)?

Diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 22 years of age.

The_Hemulen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2013, 6:18 am

I love The Moomins! I have seen some of the TV series, mostly the stop motion series with the characters made of felt. I am more a fan of the books though.

My favourite character is The Hemulen.

According to Wikipedia:
"Hemulens tend to have obsessive personalities, devoting themselves solidly to one interest, whether it be skiing, stamp-collecting, butterflies, or whatever. They tend also to be oblivious to the feelings and opinions of others. Other characters frequently find the Hemulens annoying or overwhelming, as they can be somewhat loud, bossy, abrasive and insensitive. However, they are well intentioned and usually have other redeeming qualities."

Doesn't that sound just like AS to you? :lol:

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 7:36 am

I just looked at some youtube clips of that show and looks like something I'd miss from the 80's, also noticed several users seem to have avatars related to that show, IS there a underground moomin movement on this website or something? lol

From the clips I gathered, I also noticed that the human character in that show seem to be a guiding moral figure to the animals, this makes me think Winnie The Pooh, since Christopher Robins was pretty much acting as a parent to the animals. In winnie the pooh the characters each depict some sort of mental illness too, which is what I loved about the show, Tigger had ADHD, Eyore had major depression, rabit was obesssed with his garden, owl DEFINITELY has aspergers since a running gag in the show was him being oblivious to the urgency of his guests during his anecdotes, kanga and roo were normal though, and piglet was scared of just about everything under the sun.

Just some obversations - it might be winnie the pooh inspired from what I gathered in the clips.

But what I'd give to relive these sort of shows as a 8 year old. Change sucks. :cry:

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 3:50 pm

I'm a Finn after all, I grew up with Moomin books and the series :) I loved them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 7:01 pm

Lilya wrote:
I'm a Finn after all, I grew up with Moomin books and the series :) I loved them.

Didnt realize they were Finnish creations.

Loved the books when I was a child.
Didnt know anything about these TV series's.

The first 'conversation' I ever had with anyone on WP was with a british young lady who was a fan of the moomin books. She seems to have vanished.

robsten1990

22 Apr 2013, 6:19 am

Here´s the English intro for the TV-show:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiZ0eBFTH6k[/youtube]

A very good episode where they discover the hattifatteners´ island.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlNqTqwr1BE&list=PLN6KcSS3cod367RpIYZ3CRPX9z6JaBGkx&index=7[/youtube]

I only watch them in Swedish, but I post them in English so everybpdy can understand :)

Diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 22 years of age.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 4:37 pm

How did I miss this thread? 8O

I love the Moomin books (not so much the TV shows), my current special interest is Finland / anything Finnish. Just started learning the language too.

Hi Hemulen :D I know what you mean about Hemulens being Aspie- like.

My favourite character is Snufkin, I aspire to be like him, but sadly I am more like Little My. Crossed with a Hemulen :lol:

The_Hemulen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2013, 4:54 pm

Hi Moomingirl! :D

The moomin books don't seem to be that well known. And people always think the moomins dangling from my bag are hippos! I have quite a collection of moomin items now, which would be much larger if I could navigate the Finnish and Swedish websites selling them! 'The Moomins and the Great Flood' has been translated now and published as an illustrated version. Have you seen it?

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 5:10 pm

Hi again Hemulen :D

Good to meet a fellow fan! Yes, I read The Great Flood recently. I couldn't believe it hadn't been translated before. I don't think the Moomins ever made it out of Europe (except to Japan for some strange reason), so while many people in England don't know about them, it seems that everyone on this website from outside Europe thinks my avatar is a hippo or similar. Hence the explanation line under my username. Heathens :lol:

Yes, the Finnish websites have some great Moomin stuff. Sadly I am only chapter 3 of my Finnish language book, so I am not able to navigate the websites either. I should get my Finnish language exchange friend to do it for me! But I am trying to be more like Snufkin, and have less stuff....

If you ever want to talk Moomins without boring the pants off everyone else in the threads, send me a PM :D

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

The_Hemulen wrote:
I love The Moomins! I have seen some of the TV series, mostly the stop motion series with the characters made of felt. I am more a fan of the books though.

My favourite character is The Hemulen.

According to Wikipedia:
"Hemulens tend to have obsessive personalities, devoting themselves solidly to one interest, whether it be skiing, stamp-collecting, butterflies, or whatever. They tend also to be oblivious to the feelings and opinions of others. Other characters frequently find the Hemulens annoying or overwhelming, as they can be somewhat loud, bossy, abrasive and insensitive. However, they are well intentioned and usually have other redeeming qualities."

Doesn't that sound just like AS to you? :lol:

NECROPOSTING TIME :mrgreen:

hemulens is clearly on Autistic Spectrum without doubt :-)

But what to say about aviation obsessed nerdy Snork older brother of Snork Maiden. According to Wikipedia

Quote:
"His character is obsessive over details, rules, and protocol in the books"

Does its remember something? :D

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:54 am

"hemul" and "hattifnatt" are icky words though...lol

"Snusmumrikken" reminds me of Charles Bronson in Leones OUATITW , with the harmonica etc........

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 2:04 pm

I've watched the 90s anime and found it very cute and wholesome. But why do so many people think Moomintroll and Snufkin are more than "just friends"? Seems like whenever two fictional characters of the same gender are really close friends they must be gay even when it's never mentioned that they are and they never do anything sexual or romantic. Bert and Ernie, Flick and C.J., Batman and Robin. I know there's nothing wrong with it but it gets annoying.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2022, 10:30 pm

Yes, I love them a lot, I grew up with the series. Even more as an adult I found the Moomin comic books and novels which are almost a tradition for me to read something each year.