new H7N9 flu, no sustained human-to-human, but . . .

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 2:52 pm

But it will be awfully bad if it does develop in the direction of sustained human-to-human transmission.

Quote:
Experts Look Beyond Birds in Investigation of Flu Strain in China

New York Times, JANE PERLEZ, April 18, 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/19/world ... html?_r=1&

' . . . Three families in Shanghai and two young children in Beijing were being examined as possible examples of human-to-human transmission, Gregory Hartl, the spokesman for W.H.O. in Geneva, said in a telephone interview.

'“Even if two family members are positive, it is not necessarily the case they got it from each other,” Mr. Hartl said. “They may have gotten it from the same bird.” . . '

And there are also questions whether birds are the only or even the primary animal reservoir for this new strain.

=============

For flu in general, a relapse with high fever is bad because that relapse may be bacterial pneumonia (after the flu virus has stripped the helpful epithelial cells in the upper respiratory tract). Don't panic, but do call your regular doctor and hopefully he or she can put in a call for an antibiotic. Start soon.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4895501.html&highlight=

And apparently, people are most infectious with flu when they first get sick. Which is directly at odds with companies pressuring people to work when sick, and also people themselves wanting to be heroes.

===============

If you run across any interesting news items relating to this H7N9, please post a link here. I guess influenza is kind of a special interest of mine.

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2013, 12:31 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

And apparently, people are most infectious with flu when they first get sick. Which is directly at odds with companies pressuring people to work when sick, and also people themselves wanting to be heroes.

Companies and the Government just want us to die early to save money, yet they don't think that they are going to get these diseases too.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 1:09 pm

Looks like I'll be restocking my pandemic kit with food and water supplies and plenty of sanitizer and spending every day living in helpless fear yet again. :roll: I still have plenty of rubber gloves and masks from the first bird flu and swine flu... not that I think they're all that effective along with anything other than not going near another human being ever again... I already had my Easter holiday ruined because of illness, all I need now is to not only get sick again before Father's Day or when my mother and I travel to Moncton on the Canada Day Weekend, but to die as well. Stupid world. :x