Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 12:48 am

After working in my garden for four hours today and spending some ungodly amount of money on plants coupled with reading 'Animals In Translation' for a couple of weeks now I formuated the hypothesis that people with AS may be more likely to like nature, natural things, and digging in the dirt more than normal people - do you find that to be true?

I mean, I literally bought my house for the backyard . . . you can ask my best friend/relator - the house itself would have had to be a death trap before I wouldn't have bought it . . .

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 2:13 am

it's certainly true for me, but not at all true for any of the other aspies i know (in the flesh, as it were).

but then, i'm a capricorn, an earth sign. am planning to get out there and plant things today, if the rain holds off. in fact, probably even if it doesn't.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 4:48 am

I absolutely love nature. My favourite part of it is in the bushes with heaps of different trees animals, creeks and waterfalls, and no sounds except nature.

I don't really want to touch dirt as I don't like the certain feeling of things on my hands or feet.

My star sign is a water one. I love the feeling of water around my skin, like in swimming pools, but have never been a fantastic swimmer.

tear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2005, 6:31 am

I actually love the rain and the snow. My favorite times is to stand out front in the middle of the night watching snow fall. Incredibly peaceful. Also walking to school in the snow in the morning and see the white everywhere. The only thing better would be if I had someone to share it with.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 7:18 am

Yes, this is true for me. I don't do any gardening (I have the opposite of a green thumb, really), but I love being in the woods. I enjoy taking walks and hiking. And, as you know, I am absolutely fascinated by animals. I am more of a fauna person than a flora person, as many of the plants I try to keep end up dying. I'm good with animals, though.

Gim
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2005, 12:15 pm

I love nature even though i'm a picses which is a water sign which supports all life.I usually go in my backyard when I want a time to think which has quite a few(9 to be exact)trees.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 12:37 pm

I also love nature and enjoy hiking in mountains, away from hectic and crowded cities. I wish that I lived closer to mountains and could hike more often... I also like caves, which seem to me as worlds from other planets (I don't have much spelunking experience, though). Gardening is nice when others do it. :wink:

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2005, 1:27 pm

I love nature, too. It has such beauty to it. However, if it's consistency that's the reason for Aspies loving nature, I would theorize that no nature loving Aspies could live in Ohio :-) We have the least consistent weather anywhere. :-)

The solitude and peaceful sounds of birds, the love that animals show - pets don't try to put on airs - and so on, that would be a very logical reason, as I love all those things.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 1:31 pm

I'm still searching around for a piece of tarpaulin big enough to cover my new garden (just try growing when you've got no light, you green freaks!! !! Mwah-ha-ha!! !! !! ! :twisted:)..... Failing that I suppose I'll have to tarmac it over or something....

Hope that answers your question.....

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 1:42 pm

Tafkash - the answer to growing plants with no light is impatiens - I have 15 big oak trees in my back yard (told you I bought it for the yard) and in the summer there is NO direct light at all in the whole yard (good for the electric bill, but not plants) and impatiens LOVE it - and this year there are new candy striped impatiens . . .
The only bad thing about impatiens is that they don't press well . . .

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2005, 2:17 pm

I adore nature so much that I try to base my life around experiencing it. My normal routine is hiking once weekly, with a preference for peak hikes. I am also a novice backpacker, who would like to spend more time doing so. It would be appropriate to say that I rank experiencing nature the most important thing in my life.

Being in solitude upon a mountain or in the desert is truly the best thing for me. It is the only time I feel the emotion known as “bliss.”

speeding_bullet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2005, 11:30 pm

outside is nice, but i cant really stand the deep outdoors (in the woods for example)

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2005, 8:10 pm

I love to be outdoors, and get completely absorbed watching wildlife or weather changes or trees.

I have discovered my mental health is much better if I work outdoors with nature - to this end I am studying to become a park ranger / environmental conservation worker.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2005, 8:27 pm

I don't enjoy the outdoors completely (sweat too much). But I really enjoy walking alone in the rain. When I'm working (grocery store) and it's my turn to get karts I enjoy the solitude of being outside and the opportunity to think to myself. This experience is oddly enough, more pleasurable in the rain. I also enjoy the sounds of lightning, thunder, and wind. You can only imagine how unusually calm I am during hurricanes. If the world was destroyed by a slew of bad weather, I'd enjoy listening to it.

This reminds me of a funny story. A few years back, I got the sudden urge to dig a hole in my sideyard. After a month of digging, I had a 5 foot tall and about 7 foot round hole (not perfectly shaped). I decided to plant a garden, but it evantually died of some plant disease. I enjoyed digging that hole, and if I had the time (and a shovel that wasn't easily broken) I'd do it again.