Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

BurnBlueFeatherHair
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2013, 5:58 pm

Autism and Spirituality
At least as far as one that's“High Functioning”
(whatever that means)

I'm just going to start with an intro to who I am. My name is John. I'm (currently) 28 years young. I'm currently a commodity to most people that know me at the moment. That's actually the first odd thing about me. I seem to make people want to have me around. Well it could be how I treat them, yet that doesn't change the fact that it still make me odd. I've embraced my social defects as I'm able to be made aware of them. In seeing them, I can work on them or at least find some sort of way to get around them. I found one way that works. It's actually the most logical solution that has ever been made available to me. Most people call this “The Golden Rule”, “An Eye for An Eye, Karma. Or they just say it like I do : “Do unto others others as I would have them do unto me”. This is considered a spiritual edict or “rule” so I'm inclined to note that it is evidence of a spirituality of a sort in me. The fact that I'm Autistic make that another odd behavior as it almost unheard of for an Autistic person to be considered spiritual. I'm not implying that I'm unique as I don't know. Personally I hope not – I'd love to talk with some like myself. I just have yet too meet or hear of another Autistic person that like that actually is what is considered a Spiritual person.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 7:10 pm

I'm asperger's. I believe in God no matter what science I believe that contradicts it. God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, it is all very important to me. I like to see myself as the nerd that ends up kicking the devils *** as an angel. I believe it is important to protect the weak and undeserving, and women and children, regardless of the reward. This may yeild no reward what so ever, but you should not be doing good things because you want reward, you should do it because it is the right thing to do. I also believe Jesus when he said "peacekeepers have a place in heaven, but peacemakers do as well for they became warriors when the call of duty fell on them.
I am very spritual, I am in fact religious. Christianity is important to me, and i am concerned in the well being of others around the world, for example, Nagasaki Japan, the site for the second atomic bombing of Japan, was also the epicenter for Christianity in Japan, and survives there to this day.

Do not think all aspies are athiests, as I am far from it, and feel like I've failed my God and fear him when I stop believing or even have trouble doing it. Oh yeah, Einstein was Jewish, just to let you know....

arnoldmcguire335
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2013, 7:19 pm

appletheclown wrote:
I'm asperger's. I believe in God no matter what science I believe that contradicts it. God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, it is all very important to me. I like to see myself as the nerd that ends up kicking the devils *** as an angel. I believe it is important to protect the weak and undeserving, and women and children, regardless of the reward. This may yeild no reward what so ever, but you should not be doing good things because you want reward, you should do it because it is the right thing to do. I also believe Jesus when he said "peacekeepers have a place in heaven, but peacemakers do as well for they became warriors when the call of duty fell on them.
I am very spritual, I am in fact religious. Christianity is important to me, and i am concerned in the well being of others around the world, for example, Nagasaki Japan, the site for the second atomic bombing of Japan, was also the epicenter for Christianity in Japan, and survives there to this day.

Do not think all aspies are athiests, as I am far from it, and feel like I've failed my God and fear him when I stop believing or even have trouble doing it. Oh yeah, Einstein was Jewish, just to let you know....

Hey, I'm Christian too! Good for you!
Now that you mentioned the whole "all aspies are atheists" part, the only friend I had in the US was that... and betrayed me so hard I cried.
(She was Atheist and and Aspie)

Last edited by arnoldmcguire335 on 20 Apr 2013, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 8:59 pm

While my beliefs are Theistic, I'm too reasonable to be religious or spiritual.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 1:10 am

The golden rule is not unknown by me, and i am on the spectrum, and i try hard to treat others as i would like to be treated.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 8:58 am

BurnBlueFeatherHair wrote:
...evidence of a spirituality of a sort in me. The fact that I'm Autistic make that another odd behavior as it almost unheard of for an Autistic person to be considered spiritual...

How often we might hear of something only proves how often we might hear of something. It is a myth that Aspies are inherently non-spiritual. In fact, or at least in my own case, my Aspiness is at the very core of my spirituality and has been indispensable in helping me make good sense of spiritual truths, matters, principles and practices.

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2013, 2:27 pm

appletheclown wrote:

In my quotation of you, I emphasized your part about protecting women. You mean there are still able-bodied women in Western society who aren't Hollywood butt-kicking ninjas? Is that why sanctioned MMA bouts don't let men compete against women? :lol:

In all seriousness, there is a culture war against men such that I would not interject myself into a situation where man-on-woman violence is occurring. She'd probably be offended at being treated as a "weak" person, even if she was getting her derriere handed back.

A lot of women will try exploit this whole "can't hit a girl" dynamic when trying to act tough, but they cannot have it both ways, even if popular culture tells them otherwise. I won't admit to anything illegal except to say I've used my elbow to block attempted slaps on a few occasions. :wink: That is pretty much justified self-defense anyway in that the attacker technically hurts oneself.

I just have to inquire why you think it's any more morally justified to defend a woman than to defend a man. To what extent is that due to how you were raised?

Last edited by WestBender84 on 21 Apr 2013, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:52 pm

WestBender84 wrote:
I just have to inquire why you think it's any more morally justified to defend a woman than to defend a man. To what extent is that due to how you were raised?

If I might interject...

I do not think that is anything like defending one over another. The first thought is simply that of caring for the widow and the orphan where they cannot provide for themselves, then husbands are to be good providers...and overall, that would include "women and children first" where the stronger might be better able to help care for all.

WildTaltos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 7:51 pm

I have Aspergers and Im deeply involvd in my religon, which is a comunity-based form of Irish polytheissm. I have been so long befoer evn knew I was on spectrum, as Iv only recntly been diagnosd as an adult - its done moer good than anythng else in my lief besids my siblngs, as growin up, my parennts were compltely ill-equiped to handlle my socil and emotinal diferences and so wer extremly abusive, and th aspcts and rituals of my religon are part of what kept me sane, the othre bein at least having my siblngs as friends whenn I had no one else. I havnt done reserch in to the issue of autism and religiion - as Ive sid, Ive only been latly diagnosd so its not realy been of huge interest to me until now - but Im wiling to say tht havin aspergers and bein religous or spiritual are not as mutualy-exclusive as woulld think.

Also, Im not very suer can call the "golden ruel" itsellf something spiritul. Yes, ther are many religous philosphies that are founded on it, liek karma as you pointed out - do good and yuo get good back on a metaphysicl level, basicaly - but unles you have that spirtual acesory to it - i.e. its tieed to metaphysicall consequnce - then I wuold just call it a moral edict (yuo do it becuse you personaly feel tis right or yuo know treatin others poorly mght be reciprocated by them, etc., not somthing liek the gods or some othre power is goin to mobilise against yuo if you don't do it),

Gaby76
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 9:49 pm

I have Asperger's and my spirituality is just as much a part of me as my physical body. I can't imagine being limited by this world and not knowing that there is something that is so much more. I take that into account with everything that I do. To me that is the big picture. The only one that really matters. How is not to have that ?

NoteforNote
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2013, 10:46 pm

I have Aspergers too. I am part of a Christian Church Group and they know about my disability and how it can be tough for me to socialize in the church community. I am looking for other Aspies who follow God.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 4:04 pm

I'm an Aspie and a Catholic.

NoteforNote

31 May 2013, 4:26 pm

I know a bunch of people who are Catholic Christians and a bunch of people who are non-denomination Christians (including my Church Group). The one thing that they have in common is that they love Jesus and live their lives according to what the Bible says. I find it very hard to understand the bible because every time I look at it alone, I think I am studying for a theology exam (I was in college, so I did a ton of reading/research). I also get distracted when reading, that is why I watch movies instead.

Some times I love to walk with God while at other times, I find it very hard to deal with the life-style change that a Christian must apply a.k.a "the HolySpirit living within you". I think of it this way: Being a True Disciple of Jesus Christ is like driving a car...and an Aspie like me has a hard time driving due to the load of multi-tasking.

When driving, 1. you must focus on the road 2. focus on the mirrors (watch other drivers), 3. focus on the dashboard (speed, rpm, gas, blinkers) 4. focus on your other passengers, and 5. not zone-out on inner-thoughts of the AS mind.

Depending on your denomination or your strictness, when Christian, you must 1. Focus on God (confessing your sin [repentance and sanctification]), 2. focus on other friends (praying and helping) 3. study God's word (your Bible is a weapon again Satan), 4. spread the word/plant the seed to people you don't know well (missionaries, evangelism) 5. remember that our lives can end anytime (we are not here forever).

Resourses for Proof