Page 11 of 11 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

TomGunsmoke
Raven
Raven

05 May 2013, 12:57 pm

Cigarette taxes are a thinly veiled mandate attempting to reduce demand and extort the cheddar from those least likely to complain about it. Not a luxury tax (it's regressive) as it hits the lowest income, less formally educated, harder than any other demographic.

Source 1
Source 2

EQ score: 10

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 3:03 pm

TomGunsmoke wrote:
Cigarette taxes are a thinly veiled mandate attempting to reduce demand and extort the cheddar from those least likely to complain about it. Not a luxury tax (it's regressive) as it hits the lowest income, less formally educated, harder than any other demographic.

Correct.

I wish I was a smoker, so I could toast you with a fag. It'll just have to be me raising a glass of KEO to you.

TomGunsmoke
Raven
Raven

05 May 2013, 5:36 pm

Tequila wrote:
Correct.

I wish I was a smoker, so I could toast you with a fag. It'll just have to be me raising a glass of KEO to you.

LOL... over here in the States toasting me with a fag might give the wrong impression. However, I understand the meaning. Make mine Newcastle... cheers

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 6:43 am

If the taxes were to go away, that doesn't mean that the prices would necessarily fall by much. People who smoke are going to pay whatever they have to pay to get their fix. The prices could remain the same, but more profits taken by the tobacco companies.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 6:59 am

TomGunsmoke wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP15ZM8N8v8[/youtube]

RJR Reynolds Executive wrote:
We don't smoke the s**t. We just sell it....We reserve the right to smoke for the young, the poor, the Black and the stupid.

The tobacco companies are, themselves, targeting for destruction "the lowest income, less formally educated, harder than any other demographic."

The tobacco companies are much more regressive than the government. At least the government uses a portion of the money that comes in through cigarette taxes to benefit low-income people. The cigarette companies aren't going to pay for your cancer treatments.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:01 am

Because a medical facility called "The R.J.Reynolds Cancer Treatment Center" would just give the wrong impression.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:07 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw_pCps5je0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

TomGunsmoke
Raven
Raven

06 May 2013, 8:09 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
The tobacco companies are, themselves, targeting for destruction "the lowest income, less formally educated, harder than any other demographic."

That's a horrible business plan. Destroy the clientele you plan on utilizing to sustain the business model. Knowingly "targeting" them defies any sort of logic... interesting assertion though.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 7:47 am

TomGunsmoke wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

That's a horrible business plan. Destroy the clientele you plan on utilizing to sustain the business model. Knowingly "targeting" them defies any sort of logic... interesting assertion though.

When you consider all of the information, that has been available for decades, on the detriments of using tobacco, people who arrive at the decision that "appearing 'cool' more than compensates for any drawbacks" would generally be people of lower intelligence. People of lower intelligence are also more prevalent among the lowest income and least educated demographic.

A tax on cigarettes ends up being, like the lottery, a tax on stupidity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvt8skgm2l8[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 10:04 am

Misslizard wrote:
Because a medical facility called "The R.J.Reynolds Cancer Treatment Center" would just give the wrong impression.

That would be as likely as Pablo Escobar opening drug rehabilitation facilities. :lol:

Anywho, time for a song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8MmMloZE[/youtube]

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 1:19 pm

^^^i smoked one while I watched that :lol: Make mine a full flavor king.