Any alternative to drinking milk for lactose intolerant?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

I seem to have a lactose intolerance and I haven't drank milk in over a year. I think there might be other people her that have the same problem, so what should I drink to get the same benefit that milk provides?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 1:13 pm

Well there is always soy milk, I think that is supposed to be a dairy free equivalent...though with that its kind of hit and miss as some kinds don't taste very good and others do.

Quite honestly though humans really don't need milk, especially cows milk.....not sure exactly what nutrients milk provides but I am sure there are other ways to get them.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

Soy milk contains phytoestrogens which resemble female hormone estrogens and can make you grow breasts.

You can buy lacto-free milk but the cheapest way is to buy lactase drops from amazon and add it to regular milk. After leaving in the fridge overnight you have lactose-free milk.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

almond milk

Last edited by alakazaam on 22 Apr 2013, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 2:12 pm

Almond milk if you are not allergic to it. They also make cashew cheese.

Some people can tolerate goat's milk when they can't tolerate cow's milk. And of course goat cheese is delicious.

I have even heard of people watering down fruit juice (apple juice) to pour on their breakfast cereal but I'd rather just eat handfuls of dry cereal than that.

Scubasgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2013, 2:51 pm

I love almond milk. I started buying it because I just don't feel good when I use cow's milk. My husband tried it and liked it so much that now that is all we buy. It works great for almost any recipe that you would use cow's milk for. (If you try to use it to make pudding, the pudding will not thicken because it relies on the lactose. That's about the only thing we've found that we can't do with it though.)

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 3:01 pm

There's lactose free milk in the Lidl.

(I saw it first time two weeks ago).

EDIT Lidl is very popular (and cheap) supermarket in Europe. So it depends on when you live.

Last edited by Greb on 22 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm

alakazaam wrote:
Try drinking cum or the formal term sperm. I never tried it, but I hear girls do it all the time and they say it taste like milk.

This is the stupidest comment I have ever read, if there was a reporting tool on this forum I would have reported your post. This ads nothing to this topic.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

22 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

Rice milk has been shown to produce the fewest allergic reactions and the least gastro-intestinal stress of any milk substitute. I recently found out that I am not casein or lactose intolerant like I suspected, but I'm still sticking to rice milk just because I like it.

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

I am probably going to try almond milk as I like eating almonds. Has anyone tried powdered milk? I was wondering maybe if powdered would be different then liquid milk.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 3:28 pm

I dont get the problems with Goats milk that I did with cows milk.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 3:31 pm

8bitKnight wrote:
I am probably going to try almond milk as I like eating almonds. Has anyone tried powdered milk? I was wondering maybe if powdered would be different then liquid milk.

I've tried powdered milk before. It's like drinking coloured water.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

22 Apr 2013, 3:58 pm

8bitKnight wrote:

Almond milk contains salycilate acid, which can pose a problem for anyone with ADHD/AS or related syndromes.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 4:03 pm

Try lactose-free milk? I am going to assume that it's available for cheap in most countries where supermarkts offer fake-milks such as soy milk.

Of course, considering that the lactose is already mostly cleaven into sugar (the process your body should do but fails at), the milk is sweeter than normal. The level of sweetness varies between brands/manufacturers however, so if one is too sweet for you, you might want to give it another try and get milk from a different manufacturer.

All plant beverages I tried so far simply don't work for me. Much too plant-y in taste.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 4:54 pm

there are better sources of calcium than milk salmon is a good one if I remember right

also can you tolerate cooked milk?

I cant drink uncooked milk but I can drink cooked

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 5:44 pm

coconut milk is good (NOT coconut water). There is also something called dari-free that both of my kids liked. Especially the chocolate. http://www.gfcf-foods.com/SearchResults ... 14&Click=4 you can buy it in powdered form.

Calcium is a big "missing nutrient" if you are not drinking cow's milk. Coconut and almond milk actually have higher calcium than cow's milk.