Do you recognize members by Name or Avitar?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you recognize members by Name or Avitar?
I recognize members mainly by their Avitar 56%  56%  [ 29 ]
I recognize members manily by their Name 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
I recognize members by both Name and Avitar 35%  35%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 52

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 7:32 pm

In looking at user names here, I think one reason why I recognize avatar over name is a lot of the names appear as sort of gibberish to me. A lot of them are either some combination of letter and numbers like "QBM826" or some unfamiliar unreproducible name like "Blakonomyer".

Last edited by briankelley on 22 Apr 2013, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

If someone registers on my radar at all, it's usually by their writing style.

So....neither.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 7:42 pm

I recognize members first by name, then (occasionally) by avatar.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 7:50 pm

Avatar -- unless they don't have one or they change it.

Love transcends all.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 8:10 pm

It's kinda silly, but when I enter a thread and see certain avatars, I immediately haul ass.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 8:11 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
It's kinda silly, but when I enter a thread and see certain avatars, I immediately haul ass.

The positions of some posters are well known.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm

To be honest, I don't really notice either names or avatars. Every once in a while, I'll remember who said something if it's from a very unique perspective; but it's people's ideas I'm most interested in, and I pretty much dissociate those from any individual identities.

Don't take this the wrong way--you all are human beings and therefore I think you are interesting and valuable, and I like to hear about what it is like to be you. If I didn't think people and how they thought was an interesting topic, I wouldn't be studying psychology. But it is hard for me, cognitively, to constantly keep all those identities in my mind all at once. It's just so much easier to think about what you are saying rather than who happens to be saying it.

I also don't really understand Internet drama... alliances, flame wars, all of that--it flies over my head. I guess it's related to my being autistic, but I'm actually rather surprised at how much other autistic people seem to engage in it, even those who seem to be more obviously autistic than I am. I'm not that much more affected, in terms of theory of mind, than other autistics... am I? How do you manage to keep all these things in mind--who said what, who thinks what about you, who likes you and who doesn't? It is just too much for me to juggle, all of those perspectives. Is there anyone else out there who's like me, who simply isn't capable of factionalism?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 8:38 pm

Callista wrote:
To be honest, I don't really notice either names or avatars. Every once in a while, I'll remember who said something if it's from a very unique perspective; but it's people's ideas I'm most interested in, and I pretty much dissociate those from any individual identities.

Leaving aside the theoretical arguements for the moment, why would'nt you want to view someone's writing as a way of expressing their indivdual feelings?

For example, when I see BuyerBeware discuss his feelings on ASDs, it's different than reading Fnord discuss his views on ASDs. I know that they come from completely different point of views, but I have to know what the context is to extract the meaning out of their respective posts.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 8:45 pm

It's not that I don't want to know; it's just that I don't do the mental juggling necessary to keep it all in mind at once. It's a cognitive tendency, not a lack of interest--I see ideas as independent of the people who originate them, a very objective world where different perspectives are more like different ways to view the same thing than they are like little universes of their own.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 9:50 pm

I recognize the people by their names and avatars.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 10:08 pm

Callista wrote:
I also don't really understand Internet drama... alliances, flame wars, all of that--it flies over my head. I guess it's related to my being autistic, but I'm actually rather surprised at how much other autistic people seem to engage in it, even those who seem to be more obviously autistic than I am. I'm not that much more affected, in terms of theory of mind, than other autistics... am I? How do you manage to keep all these things in mind--who said what, who thinks what about you, who likes you and who doesn't? It is just too much for me to juggle, all of those perspectives. Is there anyone else out there who's like me, who simply isn't capable of factionalism?

I don't have a clue what other people think about me on here, nor if if they like/dislike me etc. I'm not sure if I partake in internet drama or not...I don't feel allied with anyone or against anyone.

Love transcends all.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 10:13 pm

I eventually reconize regular members by avatar, easier to remember people in smaller forums. Problem for me is that many will want to keep anonymous and regularly change avatar and name, but often the person on the other end still expects me to remember them from their written content which is almost impossible. :(

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 10:27 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
I don't have a clue what other people think about me on here, nor if if they like/dislike me etc. I'm not sure if I partake in internet drama or not...I don't feel allied with anyone or against anyone.

I have a positive view of you. We agree on more than a few points.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm

It's easy to recognize Perfectly Dark Tails. NO ONE ELSE writes with large purple letters like that.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Apr 2013, 11:35 pm

Both.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm

Both, also.