Your Most Nostalgic Gaming Memories?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 6:05 am

I was just thinking about how it's almost going to be 10 years since half-life 2 was relleased (youch!) But it got me thinking how that game already seems so antiquated, and the nostalgia of playing it at release is already there.

But one my most nostalgic memories came from a mod for unreal tournament (which has its own nostalgia) called Tacticial ops. Christ, I was probably only around 11 years old when I used to play this game, I was slightly more social back then, and life is still somewhat the same. (I never really 'set off', sadly) Although it's a pure pvp game, I don't play pvp anymore. I remember playing with a clan called 4fun, and we always played on the same map that everyone loved, which was called rapid waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUHufsL19b0

Such good times...all gone. :(

What about you?

theshawngorton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2013, 6:08 am

Always reaching Junon and City of the Ancients in FFVII and whenever Aerith dies by Sephiroth. So much Nostalgia that it hurts.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 7:20 am

Playing Pitfall on the Atari. Unrelated note...Jack Black was in that commercial. :D

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 2:38 pm

I can think of several, but Katrina's sacrifice in Quest For Glory 4 is way up there...

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

Oh jeez i don't know where to start. I have so many memories. I'll try to keep it at a minimum!

It came from the Desert(Amiga 500). Had this game when i was 6, a veeeryy scary game and really not suitable for 6 year olds or even many years above that. We(me and some friends around the same age) played this on my birthday and whenever a huge ant popped up everyone ran out of the room screaming! :lol:

Quake 3 (PC). The very first FPS i played online back in 2000. The place where i learned all the English swear words.

Age of Empires (PC). Played this so much on LAN with my sister and a couple of friends. We made all kinds of maps and such and tried to complete them cooperatively.

Final Fantasy 8 (PSX). I'm not sure why this game gives me the biggest nostalgia rushes out of any game. The cut scenes and graphics for it's time were incredible and it was the first game where i truly understood the story and the emotions of the characters.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

For me, childhood memories are all about the two Dr Brain games, Castle of Dr Brain and Island of Dr Brain. They are puzzle games, where the puzzles mostly have a maths flavour. I used to love those games.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 4:47 pm

I have a lot of nostalgia for old games, but a big one from when I was little was Final Fantasy II for SNES (FFIV)...I only got to play it a few times, and never for long enough to get very far.

Funny thing is, I got to play them for real in my teens, and realized that they're not quite as great as my memory had painted them (which I don't say for most of my...nostalgias?).

Rose313
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Apr 2013, 2:49 am

Playing Super Mario 3, Contra, Super Mario, and Super Mario 2 on the NES with my dad when I was very young.
Playing Super Mario World on the SNES for the first time and just thinking of how something as simple as a Yoshi and dolphins popping out of the water (if anyone remembers those levels) made me so happy.
Sonic the Hedgehog and Ecco the Dolphin-that game creeped me out but the music and the graphics and the fact that there were dinosaurs and dolphins and aliens made it a masterpiece in my little mind.
Of course, playing Pokemon Red on the Game Boy Pocket for the first time when I was around 11. I've been hooked since then. All these video games had brought me great joy and comfort in my childhood, it was difficult for me to make friends and I was often outcasted (I'm sure I'm not the only one here who this happened to), but video games were my escape. No matter how bad my day was, I knew I could come home and escape reality for a few hours.

AnniPierrot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

Metal Slug!! Awesome game.
So was Pokemon, and bomberman kart!

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm

Klowglas wrote:
I was just thinking about how it's almost going to be 10 years since half-life 2 was relleased (youch!) But it got me thinking how that game already seems so antiquated, and the nostalgia of playing it at release is already there.

But one my most nostalgic memories came from a mod for unreal tournament (which has its own nostalgia) called Tacticial ops. Christ, I was probably only around 11 years old when I used to play this game, I was slightly more social back then, and life is still somewhat the same. (I never really 'set off', sadly) Although it's a pure pvp game, I don't play pvp anymore. I remember playing with a clan called 4fun, and we always played on the same map that everyone loved, which was called rapid waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUHufsL19b0

Such good times...all gone. :(

What about you?

I feel glad UT99 still works on Windows 8, otherwise I would of bombed a local metro station out of sheer misanthropy.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:38 pm

Oh of course Pokemon red and blue! I had Pokemon blue myself and had the luck that everybody else in my class had Pokemon red so everyone wanted to trade with me and i eventually ended up as the first one who had all 151. The price for getting all 151 was lame. No uber trainer or Pokemon fight, all it gave you was a diploma. -_-

lacycurtains
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm

The first couple of weeks after Guild Wars started, when most of us had no idea what we were doing, where to go, how to complete missions. Eight years ago this week. Still haven't completed all the missions.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 10:31 pm

Going to the World of Nintendo store to get Mario 2 when it came out. Yes, Nintendo once had it's own freestanding stores.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2013, 10:56 pm

Final Fantasy 6 Sorthly after we see Cyan. Kefka put poison in water with an hillarous quote: " There's nothing like the sound of hundreds of voices screaming in unison"

On a another note Cyan was a pretty cool character with an awesome theme

Also all Kefka moments was memorable

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 1:56 pm

Playing Tekken competitively, before I realized that even at my best I was pretty much lunchmeat for the pros.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 4:09 pm

lacycurtains wrote:
The first couple of weeks after Guild Wars started, when most of us had no idea what we were doing, where to go, how to complete missions. Eight years ago this week. Still haven't completed all the missions.
Oh yes, i very much remember this. Guildwars 1 was one of the MMORPG's where the community actually grew after it's launch. The joy everyone had when the first Haloween event took place. Everyone freaked out. :lol:

I actually completed all the missions just last year. So it basically took me 7 years to complete but i took plenty of breaks from Guild Wars.