Turkish autism groups angry over comments on religion

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Likening of autistic kids to atheists causes fury

Autism associations around Turkey have reacted angrily after the head of Adana’s Health and Education Associations for Autistic Children reportedly said autistic children were “atheists due to a lack of a section for faith in their brains.”

“Autistic children do not know how to believe in God because they do not have a section for faith in their brains,” sociologist Fehmi Kaya reportedly said. “That is why they don’t know how to pray, how to believe in God. It is necessary to create awareness [or religion] in these children through methods of therapy.”

He also reportedly said atheism was a form of autism.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 2:05 pm

Wibble. 8O

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 2:10 pm

Autism leads to atheism? Quick! Put some more mercury in our food.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 2:11 pm

The correlation is uncanny though, you have to agree.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

TheValk wrote:

What correlation? Based on what statistically sound survey?

ruveyn

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 3:37 pm

Since when are sociologists experts on autism?
Apparently they want to give them therapy so they could believe, but what atheist would want that? I don't want therapy so I can become a muslim.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 3:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
TheValk wrote:

ruveyn

That would be a bit too much to ask, wouldn't it? Considering the number of autistic people in any given area is far from certain.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 3:41 pm

TheValk wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
TheValk wrote:

ruveyn

That would be a bit too much to ask, wouldn't it?

No. If the correlation is strong enough to reasonably be called "uncanny", then it's strong enough to do something statistically sound.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 4:01 pm

Well, there's the research from some time ago that I think I've stumbled upon in some other form/wording:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... k-two.html

I'd certainly like a list of features and traits of autism that are with certainty statistically sound and cannot be challenged in any way, though. The brave claim that it doesn't even exist is how popular in science again? You hear it whenever it's brought up from some very educated people.

23 Apr 2013, 6:45 pm

I like to eat turkey on thanksgiving.

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2013, 6:46 pm

Eh, makes me pretty angry too.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm

WTF? Sure....that sounds like a sound conclusion based on scientific evidence....."autistic children are atheists because they're missing a section of their brains that deals with faith". <<<*sarcasm*

Also, we need "therapy" to turn us into believers. Seriously? Therapy to make people more religious?Are others who aren't the same religion of this article also in need of therapy?

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2013, 8:46 pm

Tequila wrote:
Quote:

Autism associations around Turkey have reacted angrily after the head of Adana’s Health and Education Associations for Autistic Children reportedly said autistic children were “atheists due to a lack of a section for faith in their brains.”

“Autistic children do not know how to believe in God because they do not have a section for faith in their brains,” sociologist Fehmi Kaya reportedly said. “That is why they don’t know how to pray, how to believe in God. It is necessary to create awareness [or religion] in these children through methods of therapy.”

I love the article, maybe there is still hope for us. Just goes to show what a bit more logical thinking will do.

I wonder what form of therapy they are thinking of: ...... a brain transplant maybe. :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 9:25 pm

kabouter wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Quote:

I love the article, maybe there is still hope for us. Just goes to show what a bit more logical thinking will do.

I wonder what form of therapy they are thinking of: ...... a brain transplant maybe. :roll:

More along the lines of the "Therapy" practiced by the Spanish Inquisition I would expect ( except- nobody can expect the Spanish Inquisition!).

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 1:32 am

Thing is, in a religious society (which Turkey supposedly isn't) this guy probably sounds progressive and understanding, 'no, they're not demonic, it's their faulty brains'.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 2:34 am

Some studies indicated that non-believers have lower levels of dopamine, do autistics have lowers levels of dopamine?