Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 11:25 am

Why is it whenever I talk to an aspie one on one they all have a shared interest in some sort of aspie community. We all have common desires and interests even if it dont appear that way in groups of one or two. Yet whenever their are thread created on topics related to the different aspects of an actual community no one responds

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 11:29 am

maybe they are on anti-depressants, which makes them feel nothing?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 11:34 am

Stalk wrote:
maybe they are on anti-depressants, which makes them feel nothing?
My point is exactly the opposite, in real life most aspies care, in seems only on WP, is their measure of apathy, or lack of caring.

Even the grumpcat meme variety more often than not express a strong desire to get away from nts. If this werent true, why would anyone come to this site in the first place.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm

Come on Stoek, at eighty-two years of age you haven't worked it out yet?

Many people come on here because they are low, disappointed, cynical, needing support, isolated etc. etc., therefore it stands to reason that they do not possess the wherewithal (not to mention finances) to actually do something about it. They also realise that realistically, WP is the only sort of community we are ever likely to get.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
They also realise that realistically, WP is the only sort of community we are ever likely to get.

I respectfully disagree. Even if we're only 1/1,000th of the population (which is far below most studies), that would be enough of a density to at least have Aspie-aligned residences in small areas, and Aspie neighborhoods in larger metro areas.

Even if you disagree with an Aspie community, what's stopping us from forming offline social groups? Many posters have complained of social interaction issues when living in the "NT" world, why not have an hour a week where you communicate with other Aspies?

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 12:33 pm

Stoek wrote:
Why is it whenever I talk to an aspie one on one they all have a shared interest in some sort of aspie community. We all have common desires and interests even if it dont appear that way in groups of one or two. Yet whenever their are thread created on topics related to the different aspects of an actual community no one responds

"ASPIES DON'T CARE" could launch a thousand memes :D
I'd like some kind of irl autism-community like that, but maybe why they don't want to do the nitty-gritty planning is because it is still so far from realization (because of financial reasons or whatever) and we haven't even thought out the big stuff yet. I know you and Agent Palpatine have, but you're a bit before everyone else on this issue.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 3:52 pm

An Aspie community...we form friendships around our special interests & AS/ASD isn't one of my special interests. I don't join the discussions here speculating on AS/ASD. About the only really common shared interest I think there is on this forum is being confused by NTs & I don't see that as a suitable foundation for an IRL group.

Not to deny I was a member of a lesbian support group in the 80's that seemed to spend an immeasurable amount of time bitching about straight people. But I went for the hikes & movies, not the griping. :lol:

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
An Aspie community...we form friendships around our special interests & AS/ASD isn't one of my special interests. I don't join the discussions here speculating on AS/ASD. About the only really common shared interest I think there is on this forum is being confused by NTs & I don't see that as a suitable foundation for an IRL group.

Not to deny I was a member of a lesbian support group in the 80's that seemed to spend an immeasurable amount of time bitching about straight people. But I went for the hikes & movies, not the griping. :lol:
Exactly, you went to interesting events together. Not everyone in any community you belong to is automatically going to be your friend, but I think if you do find someone who shares your interest and is also on the spectrum, it can be amazing. Every time I tried to talk to NTs about my interests, even the ones who I knew shared it, they told me I was too fixated on it and got annoyed by this. I also think it can also be very, very comforting to be around people who process the world very similarly to the way I do, which is why I became addicted to the ASD community in general.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:29 pm

Although I would actually love to go to some kind of aspie convention/festival etc, or meet other aspies in my town, I'm too paranoid to actually do it. I'm afraid that if we all get together in one place, some NT will bomb it (or similar).

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2013, 12:25 am

I just don't care. I didn't know I needed a reason to not give a care.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

aaronmullen4
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2013, 12:52 am

Yes I agree with coming here to escape the nt world with the conversations that require some sort of way of expressing the emotion. Here is a place to simply speak with no "extra effort" so to speak. here it should be understood everything is with good intention. If your seeking advice I'd recommend a specific title requesting such. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Apr 2013, 12:55 am

I look for community online. I found some here.

Why does it need to be in the so-called "real world?"

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 1:33 am

I think people come here to work things out regarding autism and once it's worked out they move on. I think WP probably has big turnover. I notice that most of the people here have only been here for a couple of years or less. I think most people here get their fill and then lose interest in WP. I think there's a limit to how much one can hash over regarding Asperger traits. I think eventually it becomes, 'yeah yeah heard this a dozen times already yawn'. I think striving along these lines eventually leads to acceptance and then apathy.

Personally I don't get the concept or the feasibility of some kind of autism commune. I don't at this time get the point of wanting to be surrounded by a bunch of people who usually prefer to keep to themselves. I'm not saying this to criticize or shoot down the idea, I just don't get it.

I spent nearly my entire childhood in school with autistic kids. I don't recall it being any kind of utopia paradise. I had friends and I had enemies there. There were kids I liked and kids I hated. I was teased by some and I teased others. There were kids there who were bullies. There were kids there who were crybabies. There were kids there who were annoying. None of us were humming along altogether on the same blissful frequency as I recall.

aaronmullen4
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2013, 1:34 am

Quote the person and ask them specifically if you are actually curious. :)otherwise if you are in search of a philosophical conversation, I'd recommend starting a new post. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Apr 2013, 1:41 am

briankelley wrote:
I think people come here to work things out regarding autism and once it's worked out they move on. I think WP probably has big turnover. I notice that most of the people here have only been here for a couple of years or less. I think most people here get their fill and then lose interest in WP. I think there's a limit to how much one can hash over regarding Asperger traits. I think eventually it becomes, 'yeah yeah heard this a dozen times already yawn'. I think striving along these lines eventually leads to acceptance and then apathy.

I think this is all accurate. Also, a lot of it is fairly typical forum churn. People come, people go.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 2:16 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
They also realise that realistically, WP is the only sort of community we are ever likely to get.

I respectfully disagree. Even if we're only 1/1,000th of the population (which is far below most studies), that would be enough of a density to at least have Aspie-aligned residences in small areas, and Aspie neighborhoods in larger metro areas.

Even if you disagree with an Aspie community, what's stopping us from forming offline social groups? Many posters have complained of social interaction issues when living in the "NT" world, why not have an hour a week where you communicate with other Aspies?

Some of these aspie communities already exist completely unintentionally IRL due to their careers. Certain careers overwhelmingly attract aspies - I know there is at least one town in England where they do codebreaking for the government and the overwhelming majority employed there are aspie, either diagnosed or not - as are many of their children. The workplace itself has evolved naturally to accommodate for them, and the community evolved naturally with it.

I'm sure others exist in different fields of work also. Perhaps it's a matter of finding the ones that have already naturally evolved and going to them - rather than trying to set up your own?

For those who just want social groups, at least in most major cities, as far as I am aware, they already exist.