Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I look for community online. I found some here. Why does it need to be in the so-called "real world?"

Because it is oft-times nice to be able to have a f2f conversation with some good compatico people, such as with my oly square pegs aspie meetup group :) such things make me feel more like a functional human being, or at least it gives me the "human experience." :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Apr 2013, 5:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I look for community online. I found some here. Why does it need to be in the so-called "real world?"

Because it is oft-times nice to be able to have a f2f conversation with some good compatico people, such as with my oly square pegs aspie meetup group :) such things make me feel more like a functional human being, or at least it gives me the "human experience." :)

I don't mean to say it has no use, but now I'm not even sure what I did mean, so.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 10:52 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I look for community online. I found some here.

Why does it need to be in the so-called "real world?"

That's a very philosophical question why do anything?

For most we simply want a chance at living on our own terms.

More specifically some of us, find this environment extremely lacking in contrast to aspie aspie interaction.

Again I do not doubt for a second that the interest is lacking, nor is the feasibility of a aspie quarter that hard to imagine. Granted it's no surprise that this idea isn't obvious as autism awareness was dramatically underwhelming just a decade ago.

Back to my original post, if I had to guess the lack of interest of an aspie community appears to be a functional problem with this site more than anything else.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm

Stoek wrote:

More specifically some of us, find this environment extremely lacking in contrast to aspie aspie interaction.

Again I do not doubt for a second that the interest is lacking, nor is the feasibility of a aspie quarter that hard to imagine. Granted it's no surprise that this idea isn't obvious as autism awareness was dramatically underwhelming just a decade ago.

WP was designed to serve as an online gathering site for Aspies, particularly after the 2004(?) loss of the previous "major" online community for Aspies around the world. For that, we should thank Alex's hard work over the last 9 years.

I'm not sure it's an issue of offline groups being infeasable, so much as that we've only partiarlly resolved one issue, which is that of communication. Many of our posters, particularly those in Canada and the US, live in geographical regions with higher costs of transportation. To have a sustainable offline group, you (at least) need communication(s) and transportation.