Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2013, 6:09 pm

I have been working towards getting a job in the field. I am currently self-employed as a computer technician, but it can prove to be kind of erratic compared to working for a company/firm. Anyone have any advice for someone who is entry level?

I have a few certifications and plan on getting into information security once I pass the test.

KF2M
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 3:16 pm

What certs/wallpaper do you have?

What IT job are you interested in?

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 3:44 pm

Roninninja wrote:
I have been working towards getting a job in the field. I am currently self-employed as a computer technician, but it can prove to be kind of erratic compared to working for a company/firm. Anyone have any advice for someone who is entry level?

I have a few certifications and plan on getting into information security once I pass the test.

Show enthusiasm. Demonstrate that you can think logically and solve problems. That will make you valuable.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm

KF2M wrote:
What certs/wallpaper do you have?

What IT job are you interested in?

Well I am ComptiA+ certified, and right now I'm studying for a Cisco Certified Networking Associate cert. Eventually I'd like to work my way up into security or network administration. I also have experience with Unix bash and Linux Distros. (don't know if it really matters, but it couldn't hurt!)

KF2M
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

Getting your CCNA is a good start for getting into the networking side of IT. You may also want to get your Server+, and Network+ certs as well. Linux, and Unix knowledge will definitely help when it comes to working with COS on Cisco switches.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

I have worked in IT for a long time in different capacities. I find it a good career choice for my Aspie-self when I guide my choices appropriately. I learned quickly that supervisory positions are not for me. I work best where I am given an assignment and (best case) left alone to solve it. So I have had to let go of the common mindset that success mean advancement into management, and instead focus on technical career progression.

Also not too good for me is one-on-one, in-person tech support of end users, though some phone support can be ok. Also, things like quality control and security auditing can sometimes become a bit confrontational, and so I try to avoid those fields after having experienced some near-meltdowns.