Is face-reading 100% pseudo-science?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:16 am

I have always dismissed face-reading as pseudo-science, but nowadays, I sometimes wonder whether face-reading does contain a grain of truth. (E.g. Cunning people tend to look cunning. Naive people tend to look naive.) What's your opinion of face-reading?

Example: I realized that nearly every girl who had treated me badly in the past had a sharp, pointy chin. Many Chinese websites about face-reading explain that sharp-chinned girls are mostly pretty but not very nice. The ideal wife (nice and virtuous) should have a rounded chin. Here's how one Chinese website describes sharp-chinned girls... (Wow, based on my own experiences... This website describes the majority of sharp-chinned girls whom I know perfectly.) (Me, I have a squarish chin.)

Sharp-chinned girls are usually paranoid. They often suspect that others intend to harm them. It is difficult to get along well with them because they are so narrow-minded. They are cold, envious and eccentric. They enjoy directing sarcastic remarks at others. They frequently quarrel with others over trivial matters because of their fiery temper. They neither forgive nor forget. They reap lots of benefits from others but give others few benefits in return.

Bonus question: Do you have a sharp chin?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 3:12 am

I've had quite some trouble with people for me having a mindset close to what you're on about in this thread and I have to conclude that more often than you think your impression of someone you don't know is inaccurate.

Sometimes I have to see people in action a couple of times to determine what their inner would be like, but I agree that you have obvious cases where you can instantly figure how they are like.

Not only face, but also clothing and walking style can give a slight clue of how someone is like.

But despite of that this face-reading/character-scanning thing remains a very dangerous trait and is of course subjective sadly enough.

Edit: I once used to read a news article about a link between small heads and narcissism but I didn't trust that one to be honest, although I've met small headed people who indeed were utter c***s.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 11:19 am

There is some science to it. Facial expressions (the emotions they portray) are universal. Other stuff, varies by culture and person.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:07 pm

Is there actually a slight link between intense eyebrows and vanity?

Example pic:

http://www.sterrennieuws.be/foto/1213120960.jpg