How is Wrong Planet different from predominantly-NT forums?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 3:37 am

When I'm especially bored, I sometimes lurk on predominantly-NT forums. I notice that all these forums that I lurk on share something in common--Netizens enjoy boasting about various aspects of their lives on these forums. To me, it seems as though they are all playing the game of "Whose life is most successful?" when posting on these forums, which seems a tad ironic to me because I believe that truly successful people are too busy to gossip on forums. Somehow, Wrong Planet doesn't give off the boastful vibes that these predominantly-NT forums give off.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 3:40 am

<--- Can't brag or boast because he is a loser.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 3:43 am

I think WP is primarily a support forum. I think if you compare WP to NT support forums, you might see more similarities.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 3:48 am

I boast and brag sometimes but I don't like NT forums because there are too many implied-meaning, social status-focused conversations there. Here, people are direct with what they say and are also very detailed in what they say, which is comforting. I never find myself staying on NT forums for too long precisely because people don't say enough there for me to be able to derive anything meaningful from their words, because I don't understand the whole social status dynamic. My boasting is quite overt and I actually do it more to show others how to turn around their life for the better, as opposed to trying to bring other people down, which gossiping is all about.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 4:08 am

Besides the obvious thing that WP is focused in asperger/autism, there's some ambient differences too.

I would account some differences:

# The conversation is more logical and straight (I really like that).
# It's usually much more polite.
# It usually lacks of sense of humour.
# It doesn't feel like a competition.

The only conversation I had with a NT man here was absolutely annoying.

However, NT women use to adapt very well to the spirit in this forum. This is something I find quite interesting, since asperger/autism increases the male characteristics of the brain (less ability to deal with emotions, tendency to isolate in their cave, more 'geeky' personality, and so), so it ends up being just the opposite of what you would expect...

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2013, 4:46 am

Brag and boasting? --- are you jelaous? I compare my self to all other people for the sake of comparison. I mean why not. At least you get a perspecive on how different or a like you are to other people. I think it helps to get a better understanding of people. I observe differences all the time. Also you get to understand how people respond and learn from ich other. The monkey see, monkey doo behavior is interesting phenomena. It is something autistic people could greatly benefit from sometimes if they had it.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 5:37 am

An NT is somebody that doesn't have a recognized mental-disorder(whether it's diagnosed or not). It doesn't just mean non-autistic people. A lot of the time when somebody gets referred to as an "NT" on here they may not actually be one in reality.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2013, 7:45 am

For some reason I am completely unable to fathom, most people just don't consider life a success unless they can brag to someone about it. I suspect that people use forums so that they have an outlet to brag about their accomplishments so they don't have to deal with the obligations that come with having an actual friend.

On the other hand, a few people come on here to brag because there really isn't anywhere else anyone would understand what we see as an accomplishment. For instance, my husband would never understand how proud I was of myself when his friend and his friend's wife came over one night and stayed a few hours and I talked to her almost the whole time without once getting into the allegory of the afterlife and the meaning of life in Stephen King's Dark Tower series or How the golden retrievers in Dean Koontz books are a metaphor for God.

So it's just basically their focus versus our focus.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 8:11 am

It's far less aggressive in tone, although it can be aggressive sometimes

A far wider range of topics can be discussed in far more depth

It's not obsessed with celebrity trivia or materialism

Everyone doesn't play follow my leader and agree with the people seen as having high status/popularity on the board

There are social hierarchies and cliques but they are far less apparent and often disregarded or not acknowledged by people so they have far less power than on an NT board

boywonder
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 9:14 am

Its not different apart from the fact we have autism, discuss autism and intelligence levels are generally higher, though not always

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 9:21 am

OKCupid defines the MBTI personality type INTP as Loser, in one of their brutally honest personality tests. Doesn't matter how many times I take that test I keep getting INTP on that particular one. For the rest I get INTJ it seems.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 9:44 am

Nt forums, what are you guys even talking about.

Most of the message boards I go on, have a high number of aspies. We may be 1 percent of the population, but on most of the boards I go on, I'd say we rank as high as 10 percent of the posts written.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:27 pm

WP is full of Aspies? :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

double post

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 4:39 pm

icyfire4w5 wrote:
Somehow, Wrong Planet doesn't give off the boastful vibes that these predominantly-NT forums give off.

Question asked and answered, friend.

NT forums are so cliquey, it's pathetic.

You're home here. Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable.

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 4:43 pm

If you're bored and want a real laugh, you should check out 8ch.net/pol

Just be warned, there is a lot of offensive content, but it's mostly idiots and trolls. If you're not easily offended, you'll laugh your ass off at these losers. They're also fun to aggravate too, because they get mad so easily.