Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 8:44 pm

I've spent the last decade, on and off playing WoW. I love it, but to be honest, these last few months since my subscription ran out during school I found myself wanting to diversify a bit. I play The Secret World and Defiance, as well, but I find myself wanting a traditional MMO to add to my stable. The most recent one I've played extensively was LotRO, and frankly, I found it boring as crap, as it lacked the personality WoW & TSW have in droves.

I've been looking at Rift, and the free trial was interesting, but I'm not sure how interesting the world ends up being or how the end game or PVP are. Has anyone played it extensively, and can give me a verdict on that? Is it worth the subscription?

I'm also interested by Guild Wars 2, since I really would rather not pay a subscription, but while I have GW1, it struck me as having a fairly bland world. Have they improved it? How's the storyline? The End-game?

Also, anyone played TERA or Aion?

It doesn't just have to be those, either. Any recommendation is great. I'd just prefer a game that has good graphics, an interesting story from zone to zone, and a healthy endgame. And if there's one without that subscription fee, that's just wonderful, delicious gravy. So let me here your two cents, please!

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2013, 8:59 pm

I played the beta for Rift and played for awhile after release, I didn't get to end-game but it just didn't strike me as something I enjoyed for whatever reason. TERA is free now, so that is a plus, but I prefer Dragon Nest (Free to play, Nexon) of Phantasy Star Online 2's (not in NA yet, maybe this year, free to play) action style more.

Guild Wars 2 would be my favorite out of the ones you mentioned. It is very free-form and sort of like WoW, but a great deal like Rift as well (jump puzzles, random events in open world). One of the nice things is that you never out-level content and can play with friends, and the challenge remains pretty constant. The storyline is nice too.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 9:03 pm

RANDOM POST :P

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2013, 9:07 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
I've spent the last decade, on and off playing WoW. I love it, but to be honest, these last few months since my subscription ran out during school I found myself wanting to diversify a bit. I play The Secret World and Defiance, as well, but I find myself wanting a traditional MMO to add to my stable. The most recent one I've played extensively was LotRO, and frankly, I found it boring as crap, as it lacked the personality WoW & TSW have in droves.

I've been looking at Rift, and the free trial was interesting, but I'm not sure how interesting the world ends up being or how the end game or PVP are. Has anyone played it extensively, and can give me a verdict on that? Is it worth the subscription?

I'm also interested by Guild Wars 2, since I really would rather not pay a subscription, but while I have GW1, it struck me as having a fairly bland world. Have they improved it? How's the storyline? The End-game?

It doesn't just have to be those, either. Any recommendation is great. I'd just prefer a game that has good graphics, an interesting story from zone to zone, and a healthy endgame. And if there's one without that subscription fee, that's just wonderful, delicious gravy. So let me here your two cents, please!

I love SWTOR i'ts kinda like WoW but with it's own touch. If you want to join me contact me via PM ill tell you my faction and server. Plus it's have an free to play mode. All storylines i open to FTP and i think the cap is 50(before ROTHC)

EDIT: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 9:15 pm

My personal favorite is League of Legends - I'm not much for traditional MMOs.

But, as said before - if you're looking for a traditional MMO, GW2 is the way to go.

Author/Writer

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2013, 9:18 pm

Zodai wrote:

But, as said before - if you're looking for a traditional MMO, GW2 is the way to go.

But GW2 need to pay something?

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 9:57 pm

J-P wrote:
Zodai wrote:

Only a single 60$ purchase. After that, the rest is free. (Aside from an expansion pack down the road)

Author/Writer

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2013, 10:00 pm

Zodai wrote:
J-P wrote:
Zodai wrote:

Only a single 60$ purchase. After that, the rest is free. (Aside from an expansion pack down the road)

Do there limitation as for in game money,object ect?

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2013, 10:04 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:

btw SWTOR have nice graphics and interesting story. Im not at endgame yet

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm

Wow, thanks for the recs! I'm definitely leaning towards GW2, just because I don't really have the income to afford a sub if I can avoid it.

As far as SWTOR, I've heard good things, and my sister enjoyed it, but I'm just not a fan of Star Wars.

And nah, GW2 is a one-time purchase deal, just like GW1. No subscription, no limits. Just buy and play.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2013, 8:28 am

The storyline on SWTOR got to me, jedi side. Too many quests dealing with gangsters planet after planet. It wasn't bad though.

Diagnosed 9/2013

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 9:17 am

GW2 does have cash-items and it's possible to buy in game money with real money. The game itself is great as long as you have other people to play with. The end game is... well... there's barely an endgame. The game got quickly boring after you beat the story line.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 11:59 am

Lord of the Rings online is a lot of fun, it's probably my favorite MMO out there. If you've read any of the books or seen the movies I'd recommend trying it, it really brings the world to life and does a great job wit the story lines and quests. You can also earn

Guild wars 2 is pretty fun, but the storyline is kind of rubbish and I find it feels kind of lackluster at end game.

Neverwinter is coming out in 2 days and from what I hear it's really fun and well worth checking out!

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

Right now none of the MMOs on the market interest me. Some of them had decent ideas, and then phoned in the rest with generic MMO gameplay so the decent ideas were bogged down with the same gameplay everyone has already played a dozen times before. So I don't play any currently.

There is one I am looking forward to, and hoping it will be good. Wildstar, being made by Carbine Studios and published by NCSoft, is a team full of MMO veterans, bunch of people that left Blizzard after WoW shipped, the executive producer was one of the founders at Turbine and worked on Asheron's Call, other people that have worked on games such as Everquest, Everquest 2, City of Heroes, Warhammer Online, Free Realms, and various Non-MMOs such as Fallout, Metroid Prime, Diablo 2, Starcraft, etc. So they certainly have the experience to make something good.

PC Gamer just put up a good article on the game the other day, http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/wildsta ... econd-mmo/

Some of the things the article doesn't touch on are housing and warplots(Essentially guild created housing/pvp battleground), but the end of the article has a quote from one of the developers with an ideal I can respect.

“We’re not aiming for the lapsed MMO crowd because of grand focus groups and research. We’re aiming for it because it’s us.”

There is also this article, http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/ ... alysis.php They seem to understand the benefits and drawbacks of both Theme Park-style MMOs and Sandbox-style MMOs and striving to achieve a balance between the two. I really hope they can pull it off.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 12:13 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Neverwinter is coming out in 2 days and from what I hear it's really fun and well worth checking out!

It's not. Its bloody awful. If you are a fan of D&D at all, stay away. Its about as close to actually playing D&D as making out with a mannequin is to dating a supermodel. Its a crappy action-RPG that just uses the D&D license as window dressing and an attempt to lure in unsuspecting players to its shallow uninspired gameplay.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2013, 1:34 pm

Wildstar is one to watch, I'm looking forward to it. I played Phantasy Star Online 2 with my friends for a good while, but it lacks overworld, which I think Wildstar will fix. From the videos it looks like they've actually done player housing "right" and I like that they are catering to different play styles with the path system.

Neverwinter is kinda lame as said, the mechanics are dated and it doesn't feel all that DnD like (it uses a slighty upgraded engine from Star Trek Online and Champions Online, but otherwise it is the same thing). DDO on the other hand is actually pretty good despite being a bit older. It does cater more to a subscription crowd than free to play, and has a fairly steep learning curve, but it is really fun when you have a cohesive party (sort of like classic WoW on the last two parts).

Diagnosed 9/2013