Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aardvark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2007, 12:38 am

I find it very hard to control my thoughts, and repetitive thinking is a huge obstacle in allowing me to enjoy life-- everything is going swimmingly but i keep having to work through certain thoughts (P.S: these are concerns of mine, somewhat eccentric to others but NOT classically OCD type), and they are always the same ones. suddenly X will remind me of Y which will remind me of Z-- but it's almost an All Roads Lead to Rome thing and its quite exhausting trying to steer my thinking. its always lurking somewhere and i dread it when it surfaces.
anyone else commiserating?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 12:45 am

I think about my obsessions-Russia, music, art, KBABZ, and it gets in the way with my schoolwork. I don't think about it because I feel anxious if I don't, I think about it because I love them. :)

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2007, 12:50 am

Yeah I do that, it's annoying.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 1:27 am

I have thoughts like those.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 1:47 am

Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...Can't sleep, the clown'll eat me...

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 1:50 am

Then I try to relate things to my obsessions: In English, we're learning about the Holocaust, so I think,'Hitler invaded Russia'. Or 'They put Poles in concentration camps; Poland is next to Russia' and so on.

Lemmiwinks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2007, 3:18 am

I have a tendency to say the same phrase over and over again, until I find a new phrase or word to say.

1. If life gives you poop......make poop juice.
2. Living in a Dystopian Future - right now.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 3:22 am

I get Final Fantasy battle music stuck in my head. I'm playing FFIV on my DS right now. I'm planning on getting FFIII for DS.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 3:41 am

I tend to listen to the same songs over and over.. I think I do it more often when I feel really crappy.

BenJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2007, 6:44 am

Aardvark wrote:
I find it very hard to control my thoughts, and repetitive thinking is a huge obstacle in allowing me to enjoy life-- everything is going swimmingly but i keep having to work through certain thoughts (P.S: these are concerns of mine, somewhat eccentric to others but NOT classically OCD type), and they are always the same ones. suddenly X will remind me of Y which will remind me of Z-- but it's almost an All Roads Lead to Rome thing and its quite exhausting trying to steer my thinking. its always lurking somewhere and i dread it when it surfaces.
anyone else commiserating?

Yeah I do this about stuff i feel bad about in my life or about others but to a lesser extent. I think it makes me have a pessimistic outlook that is very hard to combat. I find positive self talk an impossible concept to get a grasp on, i think this uncontrollable ruminating is definitely a contributing factor to my inability to understand it.

Aardvark

15 Jan 2007, 8:23 am

for most of the replies, no i dont mean obsessing over obsessions, but rather unwanted thoughts that keep compulsively playing themselves over and over to the extent that it affects your daily moods quite a bit.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 8:24 am

I have this problem both over obsessions and just intrusive thoughts. I will also get a song in my head for days or weeks at a time. :S

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

15 Jan 2007, 8:53 am

Starbuline wrote:
I think about my obsessions-Russia, music, art, KBABZ, and it gets in the way with my schoolwork. I don't think about it because I feel anxious if I don't, I think about it because I love them. :)

*award for spelling my username right!*

Aarkvark, do you mean something like this?:

I just had an argument with a friend. This could lead to a bad thing. Bad things always happen to me. My life sucks.

*a few minutes later*

Just got good marks on a test. I like it. It's a nice contrast to the bad things that happen to me. But bad things happen more often than the good things. Bad things always happen to me. My life sucks.

^Like that?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Last edited by KBABZ on 15 Jan 2007, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 10:00 am

I think about my cats and Roger Bannister quite a bit. I will think of my favorite lines from tthe movie Four Minutes.

Prescott
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2007, 10:19 am

If find that the phrase "I have to get ___ done today" or "What do I have to do?" pops into my head far too often. In the shower. On the way to work. At my desk. On the way home from work, etc. It's usually followed by: "And then I have to do this. And then this too. " And then I spend more time than I should sorting out how I'm going to accomplish those things. This will happen even after I'm perfectly clear on what I have to do and how I'm going to do it. It can be annoying.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 10:50 am

I do this alot. It usually has an adverse effect. Some times I do it when I am trying to figure something out. Like social situations.