Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

poker_face
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2013, 12:42 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I am a graduate I obtained a good degree (2.1) and have a masters. However I don't feel I can go into research because I don't feel that my numeracy is of a high enough standard. Any ideas for careers for science graduates with good vocab and verbal reasoning scores but poor numeracy scores. Also would anyone know anywhere in the UK where I can ask about careers. I went to prospects but most of the work experience was in Goldman Sachs and my numeracy skills aren't good enough for that. I am interested in the following: science (mainly medical science and science education), literature, language learning, social policy (what is best in terms of social policy and the effects of enacting social policy) and documentaries.

I am not sure I can do jobs that involve standing in front of people (another reason why academia might be out of the question).

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:41 pm

poker_face wrote:
I am interested in the following: science (mainly medical science and science education), literature, language learning, social policy (what is best in terms of social policy and the effects of enacting social policy) and documentaries.

I am not sure I can do jobs that involve standing in front of people (another reason why academia might be out of the question).

What about standing in front of one person -- could you tutor a single person in a subject of your interest, do you think?

Or maybe designing/creating educational games/programs for learning science, literature or language learning?

poker_face wrote:
Also would anyone know anywhere in the UK where I can ask about careers.

Maybe the National Careers Service? They have "career advisors" you can call for free...I'm not sure what kind of advice they give, but here's the link to their website https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

Love transcends all.

poker_face
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

thanks for the input
I have thought about designing educational materials as an option but not sure what my employment options are in this field. I am going to a careers adviser so perhaps they can find something in that direction. As for the tutoring I have problems with social anxiety so found this challenging although might be ok with very young children.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 6:24 am

Working as a police forensic investigator always appealed to me.
Since people with aspergers have a great eye for detail it would not surprise me if a lot of aspies would be suitable for a job like that.