Anybody with a obsessive interest listening to music?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2013, 9:27 pm

I've been obsessed with listening to music since I brought my first mp3 player when I was 17. I am now 22 and I can't let go of this interest. I'll be damned if I go a day without music. I am able to escape reality and be in another world with music. I'll get really anxious and pissed if I forget my mp3 player at home. I'll sometimes make a trip back home just to grab them b/c it's hard to function without them. I also replay the same song over and over till I get sick of it. My record is playing the same song for 7 hours straight while browsing the internet. Is a sick habit? Does anybody listen to music to my extent?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 9:46 pm

No , of course it's not a sick habit!! I do this...whenever I go out I have my Ipod and noise cancelling headphones and I get really mad if I forget to charge my Ipod and it dies. I also listen to music for 6 or seven hours on youtube while surfing the Internet on another tab or while reading I have it on my computer in the background. I love music and it calms me and certain music makes me very exited and happy. Sometimes I daydream to the music. Sometimes I just use the music as a background to block out noise but I could just use white noise I suppose and I prefer the music. I do think this is normal though. Not even just normal for autistics...I think in this day and age of technology with our Ipods and pads and computers on all day this is just normal for everyone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 9:49 pm

I'm also very obsessed with listening to music. I have my music playing all hours of the day that I'm at home. When I'm not listening to my CDs, I'll be doing my Internet stuff with YouTube songs and videos playing in the background. I also give every band and artist a try, even though I'm well known around WP as being a diehard fan of a certain band that started out in the 60s.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 10:15 pm

when I was obsessed with music, I played four instruments: piano a little, rhythm guitar, violin, and tuba.

ker08
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 10:16 pm

alakazaam wrote:
I've been obsessed with listening to music since I brought my first mp3 player when I was 17. I am now 22 and I can't let go of this interest. I'll be damned if I go a day without music. I am able to escape reality and be in another world with music. I'll get really anxious and pissed if I forget my mp3 player at home. I'll sometimes make a trip back home just to grab them b/c it's hard to function without them. I also replay the same song over and over till I get sick of it. My record is playing the same song for 7 hours straight while browsing the internet. Is a sick habit? Does anybody listen to music to my extent?

7hrs is a slow day for me, lol. I'm generally at work for 9 1/2hrs a day, and besides for breaks for meetings, etc, I'd say at least half the time I'm listening to the same song on repeat all day. So far I think my record is just over 2 weeks same song at work. And I completely know what you mean about feeling like you need your music. It makes me less anxious. If I didn't have any music at work, all the little sounds of the office would drive me batty.

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm

Whether I have my iPod, a CD or some kind of instrument near me, I am always obsessed with music. I never leave the house without a full iPod charge anynore and every store I go to, I am playing ukeleles, electric/acoustic guitars, pianos, mandolins, etc. Music galore. I love it. Always have loved music, and hoped that the next instrument I pick up is one I get to own.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 1:03 am

Of course I'm obsessed with music. Most DJs are. :lol:

monumentstothieves
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2013, 1:34 am

I listen to music for almost all of my waking hours. My library is 185.77 GB (34372 songs) and continually growing. I've edited the ID3 tags for every single song for correctness. I've also kept detailed statistics on my music listening for the past 6 years. For a while I was using mind-mapping software to map the connections between all the bands in my library, but it stopped working because the database got too big. Last year I also started keeping weekly records of my top albums so that I can see what I was listening to at any point in the past.

Last edited by monumentstothieves on 29 Apr 2013, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 1:38 am

I need to listen to music to fulfill my stimming needs most of the time. Luckily for me. My MP3 player is integrated in to my smart phone so I have my music with me all the time.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 1:42 am

Yep, that's classic aspie behavior. Same song over and over. I like to make up an album of 10 songs and play that on a loop continually. Right now I'm primarily fixated on "Drive" by The Cars. Nostalgia plays a big part in that.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 2:59 am

briankelley wrote:
Yep, that's classic aspie behavior. Same song over and over. I like to make up an album of 10 songs and play that on a loop continually. Right now I'm primarily fixated on "Drive" by The Cars. Nostalgia plays a big part in that.

I gave up years ago with it, after 'burning' some of my favourite albums. I burnt that way 'Amarok' and 'Ommadawn', and I was not able to enjoy them for years.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 9:37 am

I don't leave the house without my ipod because I can't really function properly without music.

Love transcends all.

bigdavid
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2013, 12:15 pm

I'm obsessed with listening to music. I have an iPhone, but I also have an iPod which I keep all of my music on. I hate to be interrupted while listening. It is my great escape.

KF2M
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

Thanks Brian for getting that song stuck in my head. :/

Pink Floyd, Rush, and Deadmau5 are my loop.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 2:29 pm

I like listening to music but definitely not obsessed about it.

SpaceTrout
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2013, 2:56 pm

At work I listen pretty much nonstop. Some really complex songs (like some stuff by Miles Davis or Frank Zappa) I will put on repeat for an hour or two. Each time I listen I try to focus on the part of one instrument.

If a particular part of a song catches my ear, even a short bass riff or drum fill, I will rewind it 10 - 15 times so I can appreciate it or try to understand it.