Should/Can People with Asperger's Syndrome/Autism who have D

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2013, 3:31 am

Should/Can People with Asperger's Syndrome/Autism who have Depression and take Anti Depressant Pills/Medication drink Alcohol can this make the Depression worse ?

Question: Should I Avoid Drinking Alcohol With My Medication?

Answer: You should ask your doctor or pharmacist for specific recommendations regarding your medication, but, in general, drinking alcohol while taking an antidepressant is a bad idea. First of all, it can intensify any sedative effects of your antidepressant. Secondly, if you drink on a regular basis, it can cause either more or less of your antidepressant to be available in your body than would normally be. And, finally, if you are using an MAOI, you should be aware that beer and wine contain tyramine, a substance which can interact with MAOIs leading to a dangerous rise in blood pressure.

http://depression.about.com/cs/drugsalc ... olmeds.htm

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 8:05 am

Drinking alcohol defintiely affects me badly when I'm on anti-depressants

the alcohol wipes out the effect of the anti-depressant the next day so
I will feel very down

So I don't drink alcohol most of the time - only the occasional glass of wine
eg at Christmas

delic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2013, 8:13 am

Alcohol IS a depressant it causes depression full stop (even if only for a short period of time in some people) - it is the most harmful drug in society, consuming it on "anti depressants" is just a really bad idea imo.

Just take a look at Psilocybin (found in many types of mushroom) & the research into alleviating & sometimes ridding people of depression, I guess ridding completely for some people due to it's ability to help see & resolve whatever is causing the depression to start with, sometimes it's hard to see what maybe should be obvious.

Psiloycbin contained in the completely natural so called magic mushroom (positioned on the far right hand side on the chart :Mushrooms) is something that really helps a lot of people & has now been proven to, it does not increase suicide risk like SSRIs do, or give you any ongoing daily side effects. People should always start with extremely small doses with anything they take of course to see how things affect you, especially people with Autism & any neurological disorder because of how much more sensitive we can be.

People can do their own research at the end of the day & decide what's best for them I'm certainly not saying go out & consume these things, they won't help everyone & they might makes things worse for some select people just like anything. I'd like to see them make a come back in a therapeutic setting though because the way it is at the moment it's not exactly a realistic prospect for many people due to the law.

Last edited by delic on 29 Apr 2013, 8:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2013, 8:22 am

Alcohol maybe good to make you feel relaxed for a while, but does not cure the depression. Some people use it as self-medication, but certainly do not recommend it.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

I can tell you from experience that mixing antidepressants and alcohol is a bad idea. I'd rather not go into detail as to why though. Besides I am not much of an alcohol drinker anyway.

Scia
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2013, 11:15 pm

I'm one who believes that drinking alcohol is something that shouldn't be done in general. Granted, I know a lot of people keep doing it.

But yeah, I'd think if one is depressed, one shouldn't do something to make it worse. That said, in general if there's something bad, things shouldn't be done to make it worse.