Do you find other aspies are easier to be friends with?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tazweteq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2013, 4:51 pm

Still kinda difficult even if they're autistics. but much easier than trying to be friends with NT's.

Merceile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

I had a hard time connecting with other Aspies, well the two I got to know a little better in RL.

But I get along best with people who have 'issues' themselves and kind of know how it is to be different but don't lack that much in the social skills department. One very good friend of mine has ADD and another female one has a dissociative disorder. So they really never mind my excentric behaviour, even if they don't understand it they accept it as just being me.

EliteEnigma57
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2013, 2:44 pm

My best friend and I both have Asperger's, but I've met some fellow aspies and other autistics that I haven't been able to connect with well. Similarly, I've met some NTs that I've gotten along with, and some that I haven't gotten along with so much. Like several people have already said, it depends on the person and whether or not you "click" with them.

Overall, though, I feel that the people I've had the closest connection to are those that treat me with respect.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2013, 5:09 pm

I think it can work out between two AS. Knowing about Aspergers now, I'm able to look back into my past and easily identify likely Aspergers I've known. My best friend in high school I'm pretty sure had Aspergers like me, and probably to a higher degree than I do (he was a bit more socially awkward than me, at least). I've also had close friends that have had other conditions, and my wife has borderline personality disorder.

I think having a condition lets us be able to potentially sympathize with others with a condition better than some NTs can, even if the condition isn't the same one. You can use that shared experience to form a point of understanding to help form a bond in a relationship. It can allow people with psychological conditions to be more tolerant towards others with conditions, because they know what it's like to be "different". This is why you tend to see the "school cliques" like geeks, nerds, freaks, etc being more or less groups consisting of similar psychological conditions.

sickity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2013, 8:54 pm

i only have one aspie friend, and we've gotten into so many fights because of misunderstandings and the like. honestly, yeah, some of them were completely valid. but some of them were just..really stupid.
that's not to say i couldn't easily make friends with someone else on the spectrum, but so far, it's been challenging. he's still my best friend in the whole world, but sometimes it's hard. xx

DirectorMelancholy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jun 2013, 8:14 pm

(Sorry if this is a pointless post, I was only able to skim this thread)

I happen to know quite a few aspies in real life from a variety of different groups. In fact, I think the number is close to 25. I know quite a few. Anyways, I get a long real well with most of them. There are a few bad apples that I just can't relate to, but those ones seem to just have a bad attitude in general, which can happen with NTs just as easily.

I guess what I'm saying, if I'm saying anything, is that you would want to meet aspies, and get to know them for a while (at least a few months!) before considering anything like rooming with them. Percentages may vary from experience to experience. I have a really flexible personality that can relate to a lot of people, so that's why I would only think there are a few bad apples. If you have more trouble relating to people (which there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a difference in personality) I would guess you would be less than likely to form friendships with a higher percentage of the people you meet.

This is just from my experience though.

Very true, of every single one of the 10,000 bad memories that run through my mind everyday, all of them were of my own doing.