Do you hate it when people start a conversation with you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 6:48 am

Random people (like in a check-out line maybe?) speaking to me doesn't bother me because usually it is just some brief bit of banal banter (e.g. weather, length of checkout line,etc.) and I can fall back on a script. I've rarely had anyone try to start rambling on about nonsense, thank goodness. When that does happen I find that just turning away can help shut them up when they realize they no longer have an audience.

Two things I do two rescue or prevent such situations:

1. Wear my earbuds. If I an in a situation where I might be approached but I am not in the mood for it, I stick my smartphone earbuds in my ears. It helps block out the noise (which is nice), but many people will refrain from speaking to someone who seems to be listening to something. Actually listening to something is optional

2. Fake receiving a call or text. If I am truly cornered and need to get away, I fake receiving a silent notification of an important message to which I must excuse myself and respond. I am opposed to dishonesty, so thankfully I rarely have to resort to this one.