Do you hate it when people start a conversation with you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 9:57 pm

A few weeks ago I bought a batman logo shirt (from the young mens department). Tonight I wore it to the softball game (my little sister plays) some ladies said OMG! my son is going to hate that shirt they don't like bat girl!! !! The comment threw me totally off guard and confused me didn't have the heart to be literal and say well I bought it in the young mens department so technically it's a shirt for men.

While getting food from the concession stand a girl asked who am I here for as in what team. Someone striking up a conversation just out of the blue confused me and I had to stop and rethink for a minute everything. It totally threw me off.

I expect to talk to my family but when people make weird comments like the above or strike up conversation when I didn't expect it I get confused.

llel11
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2013, 10:00 pm

Most of the time I hate it. I am standing there going 'shut up shut up shut up' in my head. That's terrible, but true. I hate switching gears like that. It's especially bad because I way overtalk sometimes.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 10:05 pm

Yes, I do hate it when random people start making small talk with me, for sure.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 10:10 pm

Also making weird joke comments or comments in general confuse me. Besides the batman shirt comment last weekend we were going to Cici's Pizza (A buffet pizza place). I was excited to go but before that at the game I ate peanuts and a hotdog so really wasn't hungry. I ate some pizza then stopped. A parent of our team said "Hey why aren't you eating I thought you really wanted pizza" So I went up to the buffet and got a few things just to I guess "look normal" I then mention to her I had a hot dog and peanuts at the game.

Glad I'm not the only one that hates small talk. I know it's an Aspie trait as are many things but I don't realize I have the issue until I have it sadly. :-(

megocode3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm

Yes, I hate when random people start conversations with me. Specific questions and comments aren't as bad as small talk but I'd rather people just leave me alone.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 11:04 pm

I hate when they start conversation just because they think I'm alone and sad and that I would really appreciate the company and conversation.

I don't.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 11:21 pm

Used to be very uncomfortable with this, and probably still would be if not for my cashiering job. "Small talk" is practically an unwritten requirement, and somehow, I've managed to "master" it fairly well (sometimes too well--on occasion, I'm the one starting it with a customer :oops: ).

However, it is draining. When I get home I need to not talk at all for an hour or so, otherwise I feel myself slipping into shutdown mode.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm

I hate it when people start threads and then just abandon them. Very annoying.

MeshGearFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2013, 11:46 pm

Yes, strangers starting a conversation is disconcerting. I often have the same reaction as you. I used to react to people who were not even talking to me (embarrassing). Now I do the opposite, which is try to act as if no one is talking to me (works better).

A couple of weeks ago my strategy was put to the test. I was sitting in the library reading when some old drunk guy sat down and started talking to me. I ignored him, but he kept on talking. In fact, it only provoked him to get a reaction from me. I was beyond rude, but who starts talking to someone who is obviously reading? If I said something, it would have been ruder -- "it's a library not a bar you crazy drunk!"

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 12:11 am

I've gotten used to it, because it's common for my locale. What bothers me is when some people don't wrap it up after a while. I don't need to hear a prolonged discussion on the relatives when I'm scrambling to remember your name.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 1:03 am

MeshGearFox wrote:
I was sitting in the library reading when some old drunk guy sat down and started talking to me. I ignored him, but he kept on talking. In fact, it only provoked him to get a reaction from me. I was beyond rude, but who starts talking to someone who is obviously reading? If I said something, it would have been ruder -- "it's a library not a bar you crazy drunk!"

IMO, that would have bugged ANYBODY. :x

That might have worked...or just made him angry. 8O

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2013, 1:35 am

Very rarely do I do small talk, as I am incredibly uncomfortable talking to someone without knowing what to talk about specifically, but when someone talks to me that usually gives me a subject and I get a lot more comfortable. I used to be very antisocial towards people that want to talk to me because I'm alone, but that I am a bit more "grown-up", I really don't think I would mind a tiny bit of company, as long as I can keep a conversation going with them.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 3:00 am

If they're random people why not take advantage and practice eye contact and other stuff with them? I used to hate it too. Still do I guess. But now I try to make a game out of it. See how well I can hold up my end. I don't really worry about weirding them out or anything like that . That's the price they'll sometimes have to pay for talking to strangers.

Last edited by briankelley on 01 May 2013, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

flamebolt925
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2013, 3:32 am

yes sometimes i dislike it when random ppl start a conversation with me and it can be difficult figuring how to frame the conversation and keep it going but i usually try to soldier on and finish the conversation without too much trouble

Anna94980506
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 6:11 am

Yes, and I hate small talk

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 6:20 am

Of course.