Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Is an autism alert bracelet a practical idea?
yes 64%  64%  [ 42 ]
not sure 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
no 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 66

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 5:46 am

I also made a little card to keep in my wallet. In the UK you can get ready made cards. In the US you have to make them yourself. I have used it several times when I have been so exhausted that speech was just too much trouble for me. I also got pulled over at night once because I missed seeing a sign that the speed limit had changed. If you are going to put speed limit signs up, don't put them behind trees. Anyway, it was dark so the police car lights behind me when he pulled me over were way too much for me and they were making me sick. I was able to let the officer know that I was Autistic and he was able to dim his car lights. So I find that it helps to have the card and the bracelet.

And the bracelet is a good idea anyway because you never know if you might be in an accident or something. My brother got heat exhaustion on a bike ride once. Fortunately he had been riding with a friend and the friend was able to get the car. But my brother had to lay on the side of the road for quite some time before his friend got back with the car.

Many people, in fact, most people who use the RoadID products don't have specific medical issues. They are athletes or just regular people. But many people have been helped because someone found them unconscious like from running or biking or in an accident and they were able to contact their families and they were able to access vital information immediately because of their bracelets.

My husband is a kayak fisherman and sometimes he goes way out in the bay. I have been wanting him to wear one as well. He has not wanted one but I think I will get him one anyway. It's only $10 a year to have the profile attached to it and if all you want is the bracelet with only what you want to be inscribed on the tag than it's just the price of whatever bracelet, anklet or necklace you choose. I think it's worth it.

Wreck It Ralph

doraE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2016, 6:54 am

Hi! I think that a bracelet is good idea, but try a medical system alert, you can search them on reviewsbee, I use one from that site.

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2016, 6:43 pm

I think it's a good idea. So far I have never had meltdown in public, but I sometimes experience shutdown which renders me mute and confused. When I am overwhelmed, I become confused and nonverbal.

Someone recommended a Medic Alert ID, so I got one. On my medical ID, my first name, my condition, emergency contact were engraved. I also have a wallet card. The thing is I do not always carry my wallet.

By the way, I live on my own and I know that it can be difficult at times, particularly when you can neither reason nor speak due to meltdown or shutdown.

Medical ID options: bracelet or necklace. I don't like jewellery and I hate something around my wrist, so I have chosen to wear a tag round my neck (but I don't wear it out and my top is always buttoned up to the neck!!). Practically, I think bracelet is more noticeable and catches attention of healthcare professionals faster than a tag. When they check vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, blood sugar, etc.), they will have to look at patient's wrist.

I think I have to wear the tag outside as I won't like someone tugging necklace or touching me too much just to find my ID. Or I have to wear a bracelet. I am thinking about investing in a classic bracelet which I can have information engraved on the front as well as the back (lots of space). My GP said I better wear one because I have moderate allergy (not anaphylaxis) to certain things.

Honestly, I don't like going around with a piece of jewellery that advertises my condition, but if it can reduce risk of misunderstanding/misdiagnosis, I think it's worth it. :)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 12:05 pm

kabouter wrote:
Sorry to be pessimistic, but if you have a full meltdown in public, the good samaritans are going to run the other way, the medical personnel are going to call the cops, and the cops are likely to shoot you as you will no longer be a threat to them.

So unless it is tattooed on your forehead, no-one is going to get a chance to read it at the most important time.

Nice idea, but don't think it will work.

depends on where you live though

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 4:42 pm

I have a bracelet that I got about a year ago. The front is engraved with the red medic alert symbol and "Autism, Turn Over". On the back I have my name, the fact that I may be nonverbal, my medications, a note to look at the card in my wallet, and my mom's phone number. I haven't had to use it in an emergency yet, but I came close. Last month I had a meltdown and was hitting myself and yelling in a parking lot, and just as I calmed down and was getting ready to get back in my car, a woman from one of the office buildings nearby came out and asked if I was all right. She was quite concerned, and not terribly convinced when I said I was okay, and I'm lucky I had my friend with me to reassure her that I was in fact fine, otherwise she might have tried to press the issue and call the cops or paramedics or something.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 4:50 pm

I only have a seizure alert bracelet with my mom's phone number on it. I should probably get one with that and my Autism diagnosis on it too.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 8:14 pm

you can get an autism medical id for free here http://www.medicalert.org/autism (its actually legit, dont worry). i have one that says
1. ASD
2: (I MAY NOT
3: RESPOND
4: BUT I
5: UNDERSTAND)
6: (MY NAME)
7: AUTISM SPECTRUM
8: DISORDER (ASD)
9:
10: MOM (PHONE NUMBER)

the numbers are on what lines it says what, mine is double sided.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 5:05 am

I never really have meltdowns in public. Mostly because, I rarely go in public in the first place. Sometimes a meltdown will start, but I stop it. So it be kinda pointless. I'm somewhat of a flight risk, but It isn't a problem since, I always find myself back to where, I was, then track whoever I'm with down.