What animated/children's films depressed you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 12:55 am

Bambi. Apparently the first time I watched the movie when I was two or three years old I completely passed out when his mother died. The ending isn't bad though.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 4:13 am

Most of mine have already been covered. Mufasa's death, Jessie's backstory, the Iron Giant's sacrifice, all of Grave of the Fireflies, the beginnings of Finding Nemo and Up.

Others are Bing-Bong's death and Riley about to run away in Inside Out (hit close to home for me), Dumbo's mother being locked away and singing to him, End of Evangelion and the 3rd Rebuild movie, Copper shielding Tod with his body so his owner won't shoot him in Fox and the Hound.

I'm surprised no mention has been made of Barefoot Gen. I've only seen ever the Hiroshima bombing scene, but it was one of the most gut-wrenching things I've ever seen. Absolutely agonizing.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2019, 12:03 am

Mufasa's death in the Lion King really struck a chord with 6 y.o me in the cinema in Sept 1994 since my grandpa dropped dead two years prior. Lord help me when the live action version comes out :(

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 6:57 pm

PrncssAlay wrote:
The Ballad of Narayama, partly because the Grandmother was so resigned and partly because the general population was so cruel. Here is the link: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great ... ayama-1958

I don't think this counts as a children's film... Just because it's colourful.
The 1983 version is my favourite film ever, and it did sort of the opposite - I found it quite touching and not depressing, really.

I was depressed after the incredibles 2, because it felt like I had been watching conservative propaganda for 2 hours (I don't have anything against intelligent conservatives, but thinly veiled, rather stupid ayn-randian propaganda, aimed at children was a bit upsetting)

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2019, 9:25 am

[/quote]I was depressed after the incredibles 2, because it felt like I had been watching conservative propaganda for 2 hours (I don't have anything against intelligent conservatives, but thinly veiled, rather stupid ayn-randian propaganda, aimed at children was a bit upsetting)[/quote]

Incredibles 2 didn't impress me much either mainly because it was an utterly pointless sequel. Pixar have this annoying habit of dropping the ball with their sequels