Combination (please specify) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Varies from time to time (please specify) 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Other (please specify) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 83

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:49 pm

I would guess moderate to high functioning, so a combination. When I am learning something new it can take a while for me to learn (often with support). I have to be guided through things in steps.

To be able to work, I need much adaptation for me to be able to do job training now, though I love that I am getting support to do what I love. In a way I am often "in my own world".

Last edited by Lumi on 07 May 2013, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megocode3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2013, 11:02 pm

I'm high functioning but I do have tremendous difficulty in maintaining a job for any significant length of time.

ComposerGal1928
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2013, 11:04 pm

My parents were worried that I wouldn't survive going away to college, but I made it through just fine. So I guess I'm high functioning. But that doesn't mean I don't have days when I feel like I can't even function properly.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 12:44 pm

I put "combination".
There are some things I'm quite high-functioning at, and others I'm completely low-functioning at.
I'm in the middle for some other things.

Tressillian

07 May 2013, 1:00 pm

I'm extremely high functioning.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 1:33 pm

It depends where I'm having to function

At home I'd say I'm normal but out in public I'm a lot more self-conscious and insecure

elsing
Raven
Raven

07 May 2013, 6:02 pm

Combination because I was put in situations time and time again all my life where I was expected to function highly and couldn't and denied things that made me happy for not doing so. This trained me to function highly, to push at myself.
I think if left totally to fend for myself I would be moderate, socially isolated, invisible and unemployable.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 6:33 pm

Don't work and on disability due to AS; not uncommon for AS/HFA and universal for LFA
can't handle school/being around people; not uncommon for HFA
can do most of the basic self-help stuff; decent and HFA
couldn't make friends in person if I wanted; typical AS symptom (lack of peer relations)
can do most of the chores of living (house stuff) and could live by myself if the house is provided; decent and HFA

High functioning

revolutionarygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2013, 6:39 pm

After years and years of therapy I am high functioning. Without it, I do not know where I'd be.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2013, 8:07 pm

If I even have AS I am extremely high functioning. I am diagnosed with mild Asperger's syndrome through my school most if not all my psychologists, therapists, highly achieved neurologists, and psychiatrists claim they don't believe I have it either.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 12:57 am

I touched on this in another thread...it depends on the day. As long as things are rolling along smoothly, I'm fairly OK. But when things start getting stressful, my traits -- rocking, fidgeting, social interaction, productivity -- get progressively worse.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 1:00 pm

Well, I....
Work Full Time..... but if I lost my job I would be f**ked. I spent three whole years looking for work and despite superior qualifications got nowhere. Still vastly underemployed based on my skills.
Live alone...... but it's a struggle to say the least due to my poor executive functioning skills.
Drive a car and quite a skilled driver... but can barely afford it.
Have a girlfriend..... but it took 29 years to even get my first date and my relationship is falling apart because I miss cues all the time and seem to always upset her no matter what I say or do.
Have no friends..... but had a couple brief ones as a child.
Eat well.... but if my five favourite foods evaporated I would literally starve.
Well liked... but was the most hated kid in school who was everyone's favorite punching bag.

The psychiatrist said I was not "significantly impaired" enough to qualify for an Asperger's diagnosis but I say it depends on what side of the fence you look at. I'm very high function in most areas, low functioning in others and yes, am significantly impaired due to my sensory issues.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 1:07 pm

Variable depending what day it is

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2013, 1:21 pm

I apparently am complicated. Either that or difficult to understand. I would be classed as high functioning, but I hardly did any work at primary school and sometimes I can't focus long enough to read to the end of a short paragraph. So I guess in combination (ADD, dyslexia and AS) it varies. As such I picked other.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2013, 1:29 pm

I'm quite high functioning socially most of the time, but when I go over my "budget" of tolerance for sensory overload or social interaction (often the same thing really) then I can crash hard and end up locking myself in a room for days or weeks at a time. I have periods of moderately high functioning that can last months or even years but then get interrupted by meltdowns so severe that I quit a job or drop out of school, etc. I'd estimate I pass as NT at least 50% of the time in conversation, (though after my diagnosis 6 months ago I find I don't particularly care to try to pass anymore.)

so, when I'm allowed to budget my energy as I see fit and am not in an over stimming environment (especially noise, but noise and light both, as well as heat), I'm quite high functioning. if forced out of that I can shut down pretty quickly, though.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 1:32 pm

I have severe Asperger's according to my psychiatrist. I chose "combination" as I am moderate-low functioning in terms of Asperger's. I live in supported housing, I need a support worker to help me do things like shopping, and I have a full-time support worker at university. I have a few meltdowns a week and have severe sensory issues. I also struggle socially and have communication difficulties.