Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2007, 2:46 am

animeboy wrote:
Are schizophrenic disorders co-morbid to autism and AS, or can neither Autism/AS and Schizophrenic disorders exist within the same person.

I copied this from the DSM IV Diagnostic Criteria.

Asperger's Disorder:
Code:
Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder, or Schizophrenia.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 3:04 am

ghostgurl wrote:
I don't know though, can a person be both schizoid and asperger's?

I don't know if a person can have be both a schizoid and an aspie, but I read in "Asperger's: A Guide for Parents and Professionals" by Tony Attwood that Hans Asperger (the person who basically discovered Asperger's, hence the name! lol) at first thought that Asperger's (or, he called it Autistic Psychopathy at the time) was a condition that can develop into schizophrenia. He concluded that people with Asperger's are more likely to develop schizophrenia than neurotypicals are. Out of his study of 200 aspies, 1 actually developed schizophrenia. The numbers for the entire AS population is (from what I've read), at most, 5%. I also read in the same book that Tony Attwood wrote that some psychiatrists can easily mix up schizophrenia with Asperger's if they aren't careful enough (since they can interpret some things differently), so it could mean that schizoids go through some of the same stuff that we aspies do. It explains a heckuvalot in Tony Attwood's book (on p. 148), so if you want to learn more about how Asperger's and schizophrenia can look almost the same (diagnostically speaking; minus the actual hallucinations of course), I'd recommend that you read it.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 3:42 am

SineWave wrote:
Anyone ever look up schizoid personality disorder?

1. neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family

3. has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person

6. appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
- limited capacity to express either warm, tender feelings or anger towards others

I don't fit these conditions. I want to enter into an marriage more than anyting and I like my family. I am interested in sex, just not to the extent that it becomes a danger to my personal safety as is common with the majority of people. Praise or criticism can start a meaningful conversation with me or a heated argument. I may not seem to warm or tender, but boy can I really show my anger.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 3:43 am

My biological father was a schizo though. I sure hope I never inherit it.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 3:18 pm

When I was diagnosed with AS, the doctor also put on the report that I might be schizoaffective. Looking at it now, it's pretty clear that the doctor didn't know much about AS.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 5:56 pm

Interestingly, just as there is a link between Rh- blood and asperger's, there is a similar link between Rh- blood and schizophrenia.

edit for a link: click

desert_rat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2007, 11:08 pm

I don't mean to go off topic(if I even am), but is SPD something you can develop later on in life? When I was younger, I really wanted to be well liked, but didn't have the social skills necessary for this, wanted to be married eventually, so on so forth. But as I grow older, I want this less and less, and now I am at the point I don't want to talk to anyone in person outside of what is absolutely necessary.
The only people I talk to on a regular basis anymore is my immediate family, but that is more so they don't worry about me than because I actually care to. It is not that I don't care about them, they just always just engage in that small talk which I find pointless and annoying. I don't feel depressed, since my interests give me much joy and happiness. I just don't want to socialize at all. I find it to be a huge pain, exhausting, and hard to make small talk because I don't really care how someone's day or weekend was. Nor do I want you asking me how mine was, since you are just trying to break what you consider an uncomfortable silence. Overall, I just want to be left alone with my interests.
Also, on the tests mentioned earlier, I scored high on the SPD part, and very low on all the others.