Is anyone here interested in Star Ships?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2013, 5:49 pm

I spend hours learning about the specifications/armaments of fictional starships. Does anyone else here share this interest?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 7:51 pm

i'm interested only insofar as there may someday be a viable escape from this world to other worlds.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 7:56 pm

I play Classic Traveller. The second core rull book ("LBB2") is titled simply "Starships".

Mongoose Traveller's "LBB2" is titled "Highguard".

Between these two books, designing fictional starships is procedurally easy.

Drawing their deckplans and profiles is much harder.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 9:28 pm

I loved how the original Wing Commander game came with schematics and blueprints for all the ships and weapons used! It was geek heaven!

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 12:21 am

save your pennies vertex, it won't be long until virgin galactic will offer sub orbital fights on a true rocket ship. all you need is 200,000 dollars. there is a long waiting list so reserve your place early.

my favorite starship is the ship raul endynion uses in the dan simmons hyperion series of books. old school and latest tech combined.....with an emotional computer.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 5:32 am

Oh, yes. 8) Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. . .

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 5:40 pm

Starships are a very interesting part of a sci-fi movie/series to me, but my favourite starships are the old ones; too big, noisy and not very practical, but resistant.

I think it's because I discovered starships in this anime when I was very young :o

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cTG3nc9PM[/youtube]

All the starships of this anime are old and trashy.

I try to find artbooks from sci-fi movies and series, there are always pages with a lot of photos and detailed designs.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 7:14 pm

I also enjoyed the full tech specs provided in the Star Wars role playing games... that's where I learned that Star Destroyers and Death Star were not powered by any wimpy crystals or mere fusion - but a full-blown miniature SUN! :D

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I-a2b_Solar_Ionization_Reactor

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 7:56 pm

What about this "celebrity boxing" between starships?

[part 1 of 8]

Too bad the public is overexcited and shout a lot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnIxsWeiGE8[/youtube]

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 9:12 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yxhf_-d44U[/youtube]

This little nerdgasm is ~14 years old but pits all the genres against each other to awesome music. ;) Homemade rather than stolen from the shows.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:18 pm

If were debating who would win in a fight. I say the Galactica. She may not be as advanced as ships from Star Trek or Andromeda. But unlike those ships, she can be virtually cut in half and still function. Not to mention her supply of Vipers, Raptors, and nukes. SO SAY WE ALL!

[img][800:700]http://www.scifireaders.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/galactica.jpg[/img]

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:29 pm

Galactica is a tough ship, though even as she took that kiloton-level nuke in the Mini Series (fighter launched), it pretty much left her dead in space, and it could have been a critical hit without damage control. Pegasus from the same universe seemed to handle similar or larger yields a lot better (several nukes from Basestars).

Galactica seems to have had her armor plating removed by the time of the Mini Series (compared to her depiction in Blood and Chrome), which Pegasus has on; that's probably why Pegasus was more durable.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:40 pm

Well, she was in the middle of being decommissioned, so I imagine she was a bit light on the armor, and other expensive type things. But the Pegasus was susceptible to Sylon hacking, which the Galactica wasn't. And the Galactica could take virtually the same pounding as the Pegasus, even though she was minus chunks of armor, and had the cracks in her supports.

Also
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbEvezZrWs[/youtube]

Lets see the Enterprise take that kind of pounding and still be able to jump (or warp as the case may be) to safety.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:53 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Lets see the Enterprise take that kind of pounding and still be able to jump (or warp as the case may be) to safety.

Without shields, Enterprise would be ripped apart like tissue! Then again, these are mostly physical bullets and small nukes... I can almost hear Worf saying, "No damage - their technology is ineffective against our shields."

In the other universe, give me a Y or B-wing fighter, I'll take down Star Destroyers all day. :P Knock out those shield generator bulbs with torpedoes/rockets, then disable it with ion cannons. Good byyyye! *BOOM!* :twisted:

(X-Wing and TIE Fighter... best space sim games EVER! Especially if you had the music hardware to make the flexible soundtrack really sing!)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:58 pm

Here's a question, would a starships shields function on the even horizon of a black hole?

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 12:04 am

Image Oh no, not another universe! What a can of worms you've opened now! :D

They certainly didn't have shields against the asteroids, but did manage a buffer to negate the black hole's gravity... almost every other SF universe has to avoid the pesky things!