Which therapy would be best....

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2013, 7:46 am

to help my son to deal with impulse control, to help with his focus and concentration? These have become an issue at school, he is in prep (1st grade) and his ability to sit and listen appears to be deteriorating. Last week during mass (he attends catholic school) he lay on the floor, he can't stop talking, fidgeting, stimming. I understand it's a culmination of frustration, boredom, anxiety but we need to learn techniques to help cope - the children in his class have noticed it and started commenting.
Would we be looking at OT or physio? and by any chance can anyone recommend a therapist in Melbourne, Aus who accepts fahcsia funding (high hopes, I think ;))

Thx

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:44 pm

Could be sensory seeking. If so, then an OT experienced with sensory processing issues could be a big help.

Also, has he been checked out for ADHD?

I've also seen some situations where they get a kid like that to sit on an exercise ball instead of a regular seat in class, or else give the kid two desks that he can switch between freely. Both ideas give the kid more opportunity to move and let off energy.

miss-understood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2013, 12:49 am

Hi Shellfish,
For an OT to help with this, try contacting whichever agency has been appointed as your Autism Advisor. For my youngest its "Aspect" we are in NSW. Whoever yours is, they should be able to give you a full list of therapists in your area who will accept the Fahcsia funding. Good luck, I hope you find a good one. For my eldest OT was the most helpful therapy of them all. Lots of "a-ha" moments, when we realised why he does things and the sensory needs he has.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 12:08 pm

Shellfish wrote:
to help my son to deal with impulse control, to help with his focus and concentration? These have become an issue at school, he is in prep (1st grade) and his ability to sit and listen appears to be deteriorating. Last week during mass (he attends catholic school) he lay on the floor, he can't stop talking, fidgeting, stimming. I understand it's a culmination of frustration, boredom, anxiety but we need to learn techniques to help cope - the children in his class have noticed it and started commenting.
Would we be looking at OT or physio? and by any chance can anyone recommend a therapist in Melbourne, Aus who accepts fahcsia funding (high hopes, I think ;))

Thx

When I eat something I'm sensitive to (for me it's wheat) my focus/concentration is not at par. In fact, my brain fog used to make it difficult for me to communicate towards the end of day (2pm?) I would recommend the GAPS Diet along side with Occupational therapy. If your son is reacting to foods, OT will only go so far with him. If you manage both together, he may have a higher success rate. My family and I have been on this diet for 1.5 years. I can always tell when my son "cheats" because his lack of impulse control (behaviours) is evident. For me, when I "cheat" my brain fog returns. It's embarrassing, actually.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 1:51 pm

Because it hasn't been recommended, I will recommend this:

http://www.socialthinking.com/books-pro ... rriculum32

It will not help with physiologically influenced issues like sensory issues or underlying ADHD, but it does teach concepts such as listening with your whole body and it gives concrete language to deal with a hole host of things that start to become issues in 1st/2nd grade.