communication at work social and otherwise

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

bubbylove
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2013, 4:53 am

I start my 1st full time job as an occupational therapy fieldwork student in a hospital setting in a couple weeks.

I have worked as a rehab tech in a hospital and I did fine (on a part time /prn basis). BUT I was pretty awkward socially and avoided talking to people unless I absolutely had to. (except the patients). I get so nervous around many staff members bc Im scared I will say something stupid or studder or something and half the time I do. With certain people I am better/worse than others.

Its hard bc as an OT communication is so important and I've already had a supervisor in the past tell me she was concerned about my ability to communicate with the patients. I have confidence that I can communicate with patients. Its just the pressure and expectations from my colleagues can sometimes paralyze me. Certain people leave me tongue tied.

Any advice on how I can navigate through this professional experience as easily as possible? You would think as an OT I would know something about this but it seems that all the literature is geared towards children!

catwhisperer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2013, 3:04 pm

My occupation is different, but your concerns are similar to my own. I find I do really well presenting to a group and speaking with clients, because its a well defined role. I know what to say, how to say it, what information to obtain, and clients are usually happy with me. It can take a little time to polish those skills, but just think of yourself as being in the role and it sounds like you're confident with that anyways.

Navigating the professional communication can be challenging. I find choosing my words carefully by thinking ahead of time, speaking only when necessary, always being pleasant and upbeat but professional, and showing a focus on quality for the patients is the best combination. There isn't much for them not to like even if you are human and make mistakes. I find reminding myself of this helps to relieve some of the pressure: they hired me and want me here. If I am focused on quality of my work, pleasant to work with, and acknowledge/correct my mistakes, then they will continue to like me.

Plus, an early supervisors comments can be taken as an early correction. Something to prevent from going wrong and not a problem.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 9:26 pm

One thing I find helpful is, when I see a colleague doing a good job on something, I remark on it. People love hearing good stuff about themselves. Keep it brief. Again, I have had some coaching on it'