Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 6:35 am

I have been wondering about slow processing.... Sometimes, when bicycling, I feel "WHOA! I have to go slower!"
Suddenly it is like the sight of the road streaming below me is out of sync with my sense of moving forward at a certain speed.
It usually lasts less than a minute.
Same thing on stairs (not often): I see my foot. I see the stair. I feel my foot touching the stair, - and yet I am not sure, that I am actually on firm ground. It feels like the if part of the brain realizes the event a moment too late.

It is only slight experiences, and they don´t bother me much. I just wonder, what they are. My friends don´t have them.
Do any of you?

Last edited by Jensen on 10 May 2013, 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivasha
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2013, 2:53 pm

I sometimes experience things in slow motion. These moments coincide with intense situations or extreme tiredness. I can snap out of it if something vitally requires my proper attention, for example if I need to watch out before crossing a road or if my daughter needs me. That drains energy though.
I regard this as a sort of not-quite-but-almost meltdown: things getting 'too much' to the extend that my body simply takes over the decision to stop registering what happens in the normal sense.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:00 pm

I was just reading an article earlier today about how autistic people process movement:

Mail Online

Okay not the greatest source, but I thought it was interesting.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:25 pm

I think it is another phenomena.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 5:16 pm

I agree. This happens to me too. Also, on days when I have had a lot of sensory input or emotional overload I have a horrible time with word retrieval. As I am hyper-verbal most of the time I find that more upsetting than the slow motion thing.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 8:51 pm

All the time. It's almost like I can only process one sense at a time. I can never take in everything in my field of vision, and sometimes I an unaware of body placement (touch) because I am usually focused on visual and auditory input.
When I am overwhelmed it can feel like my senses are fighting for dominance. One minute I am taken over by scent, and suddenly all the noise around me is glaringly loud. Just so mentally dizzy, and then I struggle forming words.