The Middle Eastern Thread (RE:RE: How to talk to Asian Gals)

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:25 am

trollcatman wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Stalk wrote:
How does one engage with them? Do you have to know the family first? Surely this is all just culturally difference to anything else right?

One term: Marriage-oriented

Do you mean also children-oriented? If so, they probably realllly wouldn't be interested in me :D
You mentioned atheists in an earlier post. Are there many atheists there? I looked up the demographics for Lebanon on the wiki and almost everyone has a religion of some sort (1.3% other + non-religious), although those demographic numbers don't always mean much.

Example for the Netherlands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands#Demographics
28% believe in a God according to the Eurobarometer poll, yet 24% Catholics + 16% Protestant (Calvinist) Church + 6% smaller Reformed groups + 5% Islam and then some Hindus and Jews --> That is a lot, at least 51%. Why do only 28% of those believe in their own god?

The figures aren't much far from the truth.

Lebanon might be better than others but it's just a tiny country so it doesn't represent much of the Middle East, neither Israel (and Israel's liberalism is questionable)

The Middle East is the land of radicalism shaped by 5000 years of non-stop wars, whether it's Islam, Christianity, Jewish, tribal, political, racial and yes, even Atheism (political atheism such as Communism and Ba'ath).
http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/imperial-history.html

Moderate is a rare quality, and often whom claim to be one isn't really moderate.

Well, Europe has been in constant war as well since forever. It is only since 1945 that has been peaceful, with a few exceptions (f.e. Northern Ireland, Yugoslavia). There have been a 100 years war, an 80 years war and a 30 years war.

I really like the map animation you posted. History is one of my special interests, so I know about the empires. Still, the region made enormous achievements during the middle ages. That's why so many stars and other celestial bodies have Arabic names. I'm not sure where they took a wrong turn. There was a turn to fundamentalism in either the Almoravid or Almohad Caliphate (don't remember which), somewhat similar to the fundamentalist revival in the late 20th century up until now. When I was a little kid I believed there would be no more religion in the 21st century. Apparently I was not a bright kid.

There were several turns to fundamentalism and vice versa but what caused the latest turn:
1- The rise of Wahhabism and Muslim Brotherhood.
2- The Iranian Islamic revolution.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:38 am

^^^ The fundamentalism didn't work 800 years ago, why do these people believe it will work now? It's more or less the problem with any kind of fundamentalist; they won't listen to reason.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:45 am

It doesn't sound like people are happy there, just like everybody is doing everything to spite and please others?

I spoke to a guy from Croatia once and he told me that everybody is still holding on to grudges like who killed who's dad in what war... so I can't see people moving on either if that is enforced on them.

MoonriseGirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2013, 12:08 am

I am supposed to be taking a break but saw this as I was about to close the window.

I dated a man from Algeria while I was in college. I met him somewhere out & he was speaking French (ironic, huh?) & thought he was from France. So, I talked to him back & he was really interesting. He was brilliant, actually, & studying to be an engineer. I dated him only briefly & he seemed very sweet, open-hearted, & strong. He wasn't very religious. He wanted me to marry him. He was nervous to bring it up, because he said that because of his family's status & wealth, that even though polygamy wasn't the norm where he lived, it was expected & the economically responsible thing to do, and, that I would be the first wife. After a little thought, I determined it was mighty early to get into that discussion... we weren't even officially going out...but since it was so important to him, I had to tell him I couldn't imagine living with an ocean between my parents and me. He said they would move there, of course.... Don't be crazy... He said that his family would provide housing & they would have good easy lives. He said, "Actually, you probably don't want to stay here. It won't always be good here. All of you will be glad later for it if you come with us." Looking back, since this was before 9/11, I didn't know if he had heard anything from someone or if he just knew his economics & saw which way things would go here. Maybe he just meant financially the money my parents had would go further there. To this day, I have no idea what he meant. My parents would never, ever leave America, so that was definitely not going to happen.

My mom was a little upset because she'd seen "Not Without My Daughter," which was set in Iran not Algeria. She was afraid if I went I would never come back. It may have been better if I'd introduced them, because they are nice people. I'm 99% sure Farouk had no plan to kidnap or harm me. =)

I was so sad when after I said I couldn't marry him, he disappeared & wasn't my friend anymore. He said he was heartbroken and couldn't talk to me, but I didn't understand. I liked him so much because he was so blunt & just said what he meant. I still wonder what he's up to & hope he is a happy.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:29 am

I used to work with a guy from Iraq, back in the early 80s before Iraq was the bad guy. He was so hot and so nice and I wanted to go out with him so bad but he never asked me out. He was a player though and had lots of dates with lots of really pretty girls. He was completely out of my league.

I think Middle Eastern, Greek, Italian, Indian (both American and from India) guys are really hot. I like the dark look usually. I think every guy I've ever dated except two at least had dark hair. My ex husband was blonde and I dated one guy for a month or so that was blonde but he was honestly just too nice. When I say too nice I mean just overly accommodating. Always buying me stuff, taking me to all these nice places, he had lots of money and all but I didn't want him to spend his money on me, I just wanted us to go out and have fun. He didn't seem to be a very relaxed or fun type though.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 1:40 am

MoonriseGirl wrote:
I am supposed to be taking a break but saw this as I was about to close the window.

I dated a man from Algeria while I was in college. I met him somewhere out & he was speaking French (ironic, huh?) & thought he was from France.

Algerians talk French as a native language due to historic reasons (ie. colonialism), every Algerian/Tunisian/Moroccan speaks French.

French, Arabic and Berber are their languages.

Their Arabic dialect is so influenced by Berber that I have to switch to French to understand a word they're talking.

The Rif Republic was supposed to be the home of the indigenous Berbers of northern africa, the republic was destroyed (soaked in chemical weapons) by joint forces of French/Spaniards with the aid of the Moroccan king (Arab).

It's been said that 50% of cancer cases in Morocco today are in the Rif area.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 3:37 am

btw Moonrise, this man has lied to you.

It's not socially expected for men in Algeria to have multiple wives, in fact it's quite socially unacceptable in the whole Meghreb area. Unless he was one of the most few fundies.

A typical Algerian woman would have poked him in the eye for suggesting so.

Among Arab countries, Polygyny is only common in Saudi Arabia and some Gulf states. According to wikipedia, poly marriage constitute only 1–3% of all marriages in the Islamic world, it might be higher due to unregistered marriages but can't be by so much.

Among ALL my muslim surrounding, of Shia and Sunni alike, Family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues, coworkers, neighbors, I know only ONE case of poly marriage, a relative of mine, and he's not happy in both marriages. lol He's often mocked in the village where he lives and referred as "the man with the two wives", he's quite a celeb there for this, the first wive's family lately is trying again to make him divorces their daughter. They do happen but it leads to divorce in most cases or the first marriage becomes only "an obligation for him to pay children's expenses" rather a real marriage, locally the term used is "he married on her" in the same tone as "he cheated on her".

In Egypt, there was a comedy-drama sitcom called "Al Mutwalli" about a man with four wives, it was a hit there because it was so unusual, it wouldn't have been a hit if it was a common practice.

Funnily enough, poly marriage is quite high among muslim immigrants in Europe, higher than any local society, it seems European immigration agencies have this talent of importing the filth from our world.

Great job Europe!! *thumbs up*

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 14 May 2013, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 5:34 am

^^^ Isn't that done to specifically dodge immigration laws? There have been cases of someone marrying just so the spouse could get residence. Anyway, as far as I know poly marriages have no legal standing in European countries. In the Netherlands it is impossible to get married as long as you are still married to someone else. I know someone who wanted to divorce his wife because they had been separated for 10 years and he wanted to marry someone else, but he had great difficulty getting a divorce, so he could not marry his new girlfriend.
Of course, if a man just lives with multiple wives without getting married to them, no one is going to stop them.

Oh, I just found this article: First trio "married" in the Netherlands

Meanwhile in the Netherlands polygamy has been legalised in all but name. Last Friday the first civil union of three partners was registered. Victor de Bruijn (46) from Roosendaal “married” both Bianca (31) and Mirjam (35) in a ceremony before a notary who duly registered their civil union.

Asked by journalists to tell the secret of their peculiar relationship, Victor explained that there is no jealousy between them. “But this is because Mirjam and Bianca are bisexual. I think that with two heterosexual women it would be more difficult.”

This isn't an immigrant from the Middle East, they all have very Dutch-sounding names. It is a civil union, not a real marriage. I never knew this was possible. As long as people enter into it of their own free will I'm fine with it though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 3:50 pm

trollcatman wrote:
^^^ Isn't that done to specifically dodge immigration laws? There have been cases of someone marrying just so the spouse could get residence. Anyway, as far as I know poly marriages have no legal standing in European countries. In the Netherlands it is impossible to get married as long as you are still married to someone else. I know someone who wanted to divorce his wife because they had been separated for 10 years and he wanted to marry someone else, but he had great difficulty getting a divorce, so he could not marry his new girlfriend.
Of course, if a man just lives with multiple wives without getting married to them, no one is going to stop them.

Oh, I just found this article: First trio "married" in the Netherlands

Meanwhile in the Netherlands polygamy has been legalised in all but name. Last Friday the first civil union of three partners was registered. Victor de Bruijn (46) from Roosendaal “married” both Bianca (31) and Mirjam (35) in a ceremony before a notary who duly registered their civil union.

Asked by journalists to tell the secret of their peculiar relationship, Victor explained that there is no jealousy between them. “But this is because Mirjam and Bianca are bisexual. I think that with two heterosexual women it would be more difficult.”

This isn't an immigrant from the Middle East, they all have very Dutch-sounding names. It is a civil union, not a real marriage. I never knew this was possible. As long as people enter into it of their own free will I'm fine with it though.

How can this be done if the Europeans laws forbid it? Any concrete example?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24q5nwQuOJM[/youtube]'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiYspAFR9GE[/youtube]

A sample of the lost art of Iranian music. The first is more traditional (yet modernized), the second vid is pure pop songs.

Don't ask me about the words, it's in Farsi :P

I should learn Farsi/Urdu :-/

Arabic oldies (instrumental)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp3Jr33sLVM[/youtube]

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

Stalk wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Stalk wrote:
How does one engage with them? Do you have to know the family first? Surely this is all just culturally difference to anything else right?

One term: Marriage-oriented

Meaning what? That you can't get anything done before you marry her?

I've noticed your question went unanswered, probably I didn't notice it.

As answer: It depends but most probably it's a yes for most cases.
Real liberal (as by European sense of Liberalism) Middle Easterners do exist but they're rare; if you take Egypt for example, about half of the voters voted against Islamists but that doesn't mean Anti-Islamists are all liberals, most of them are in fact Moderate religious conservatives (Muslims and Copts) but they simply refuse living under Sharia rule. The vast majority of Egyptians (and in most middle eastern countries except Turkey) are practicing religious.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

Tequila wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/sham-marriage-gang-jailed

This gives an idea.

Ok, this is a typical law abuse.

But I didn't get how poly marriage has anything to do with that. (refer to the previous discussion)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
But I didn't get how poly marriage has anything to do with that. (refer to the previous discussion)

In the Netherlands, it's not legal (from what I can tell, the law just isn't enforced and the polygamous marriages are simply ignored/waved through), but there is a movement to make it legal:

http://www.themuslimtimes.org/2013/03/c ... gical-step

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 5:24 pm

There is this, too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ystem.html

I can vouch for Blackburn being very, very mosque heavy. It feels aggressively imperialist in many areas.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 5:42 pm

Tequila wrote:
There is this, too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ystem.html

I can vouch for Blackburn being very, very mosque heavy. It feels aggressively imperialist in many areas.

Aye, this explains all.