The Middle Eastern Thread (RE:RE: How to talk to Asian Gals)

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:42 am

kouzoku wrote:
I am very interested in Middle Eastern culture. Especially after visiting India and seeing all the monuments the Mughals left behind.

India is in South Asia, not the Middle East.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 11:15 am

Tequila wrote:
kouzoku wrote:
I am very interested in Middle Eastern culture. Especially after visiting India and seeing all the monuments the Mughals left behind.

The Mughals were Persian.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 11:31 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Tequila wrote:
kouzoku wrote:

Weren't they Muslim Mongols?

Persians existed before Islam.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 12:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:
Tequila wrote:
kouzoku wrote:

Weren't they Muslim Mongols?

Persians existed before Islam.

But Islam existed before Persia because it was the original religion of Adam and Mohamed restored it to all mankind.

/sarcasm

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 2:07 pm

Well, most of the monuments I'm speaking of were built between 1400 and 1600 CE and much of the art is actually script from the Qu'ran so these were Muslim Persians.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 2:52 pm

kouzoku wrote:
Well, most of the monuments I'm speaking of were built between 1400 and 1600 CE and much of the art is actually script from the Qu'ran so these were Muslim Persians.

The Mughals were not exactly Persians (as ethnicity), they were influenced by the Persians and adopted Persian and Turkic languages but they were of the Mongol ethnicity- direct descendants of Genghis Khan and Timurids who were also Mongols in origin.

Mughal (مغال) means "Mongol" in Persian, in Arabic they were called "إمبراطورية مغول الهند" literally means 'The empire of India's Mongols'.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 4:43 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
kouzoku wrote:

The Mughals were not exactly Persians (as ethnicity), they were influenced by the Persians and adopted Persian and Turkic languages but they were of the Mongol ethnicity- direct descendants of Genghis Khan and Timurids who were also Mongols in origin.

Mughal (مغال) means "Mongol" in Persian, in Arabic they were called "إمبراطورية مغول الهند" literally means 'The empire of India's Mongols'.

I did NOT know that! /goes to research

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:58 am

How does one engage with them? Do you have to know the family first? Surely this is all just culturally difference to anything else right?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:06 am

I always have Indian and middle eastern girls tell me i have beautiful eyes I dont know why though. :shrug:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:12 am

Stalk wrote:
How does one engage with them? Do you have to know the family first? Surely this is all just culturally difference to anything else right?

One term: Marriage-oriented

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:32 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Stalk wrote:

Do you mean also children-oriented? If so, they probably realllly wouldn't be interested in me :D
You mentioned atheists in an earlier post. Are there many atheists there? I looked up the demographics for Lebanon on the wiki and almost everyone has a religion of some sort (1.3% other + non-religious), although those demographic numbers don't always mean much.

Example for the Netherlands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands#Demographics
28% believe in a God according to the Eurobarometer poll, yet 24% Catholics + 16% Protestant (Calvinist) Church + 6% smaller Reformed groups + 5% Islam and then some Hindus and Jews --> That is a lot, at least 51%. Why do only 28% of those believe in their own god?

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:40 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Stalk wrote:

Meaning what? That you can't get anything done before you marry her?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:48 am

trollcatman wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Stalk wrote:

Do you mean also children-oriented? If so, they probably realllly wouldn't be interested in me :D
You mentioned atheists in an earlier post. Are there many atheists there? I looked up the demographics for Lebanon on the wiki and almost everyone has a religion of some sort (1.3% other + non-religious), although those demographic numbers don't always mean much.

Example for the Netherlands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands#Demographics
28% believe in a God according to the Eurobarometer poll, yet 24% Catholics + 16% Protestant (Calvinist) Church + 6% smaller Reformed groups + 5% Islam and then some Hindus and Jews --> That is a lot, at least 51%. Why do only 28% of those believe in their own god?

The figures aren't much far from the truth.

Lebanon might be better than others but it's just a tiny country so it doesn't represent much of the Middle East, neither Israel (and Israel's liberalism is questionable)

The Middle East is the land of radicalism shaped by 5000 years of non-stop wars, whether it's Islam, Christianity, Jewish, tribal, political, racial and yes, even Atheism (political atheism such as Communism and Ba'ath).
http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/imperial-history.html

Moderate is a rare quality, and often whom claim to be one isn't really moderate.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:57 am

Radicalism, is that referring to something like the Sharia law (Islam)? I don't know, I'm just asking. I really know nothing about it. It sure does sound difficult to meet women there. But you always talk about meeting so many women. I'm confused, how would you know the woman is middle eastern?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:10 am

Stalk wrote:
Radicalism, is that referring to something like the Sharia law (Islam)? I don't know, I'm just asking. I really know nothing about it. It sure does sound difficult to meet women there.

Not necessarily, by radicalism I am simply referring to extremism, as strong attachment to your belief and refuting the other.

Look at Mcalavera, for example, he's a Christian Lebanese living in Australia and he's still struggling with the radicalism by people of his own ethnicity.

Quote:
But you always talk about meeting so many women. I'm confused, how would you know the woman is middle eastern?

In the same way you meet them, but most of them were incompatible (horrible cases aside) in one way or another, so? :P

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:17 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Stalk wrote:

The figures aren't much far from the truth.

Lebanon might be better than others but it's just a tiny country so it doesn't represent much of the Middle East, neither Israel (and Israel's liberalism is questionable)

The Middle East is the land of radicalism shaped by 5000 years of non-stop wars, whether it's Islam, Christianity, Jewish, tribal, political, racial and yes, even Atheism (political atheism such as Communism and Ba'ath).
http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/imperial-history.html

Moderate is a rare quality, and often whom claim to be one isn't really moderate.

Well, Europe has been in constant war as well since forever. It is only since 1945 that has been peaceful, with a few exceptions (f.e. Northern Ireland, Yugoslavia). There have been a 100 years war, an 80 years war and a 30 years war.

I really like the map animation you posted. History is one of my special interests, so I know about the empires. Still, the region made enormous achievements during the middle ages. That's why so many stars and other celestial bodies have Arabic names. I'm not sure where they took a wrong turn. There was a turn to fundamentalism in either the Almoravid or Almohad Caliphate (don't remember which), somewhat similar to the fundamentalist revival in the late 20th century up until now. When I was a little kid I believed there would be no more religion in the 21st century. Apparently I was not a bright kid.