Girl gets beaten, arrested for sleeping in class

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 10:35 pm

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politi ... leep-class

That last paragraph really rubs me the wrong way. Are they seriously using a school shooting to justify the unnecessary beating and arrest of a student who only fell asleep in class?

This could be Zero Tolerance Policies at their most overkill.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 11:52 pm

I really thought, before reading the link, that this incident probably happened in a third world country.

Do either the teacher or the cop have any reason for putting their hands on her at all?

Sylkat

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2013, 12:04 am

Okay I see no basis to hit the student what so ever. I could under hitting the desk to wake up the student that's about it.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 12:06 am

"Do you like to hit people? Do you like rough up little girls and the elderly for no good reason? Then sign up at the Alabama city PD today!"

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 1:07 am

Why is there police in school anyway? The whole idea of "school police officer" sounds ridiculous to me.

If someone repeatedly falls asleep doesn't mean they are lazy. With diabetes, asthma and sleep apnea it is plausible somebody isn't always functioning at peak efficiency.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:58 am

Only in Alabama. :roll:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 8:13 am

This is ridiculous. On what basis, did they arrest her? More importantly, I see no reason whatsoever for them hitting her.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 10:15 am

trollcatman wrote:
Why is there police in school anyway? The whole idea of "school police officer" sounds ridiculous to me.

If someone repeatedly falls asleep doesn't mean they are lazy. With diabetes, asthma and sleep apnea it is plausible somebody isn't always functioning at peak efficiency.

in my high school we had an off- duty cop as a high end hall monitor and it was fine, but when I started seeing on-duty cops at school I saw a problem. and when they are at schools with special needs kids/problem kids I knew it was going to bring this sort of thing?

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 10:51 am

The School Jail is meant to be a boring, tedious place and unpleasant and sleep provides a respite from the tedium... she was brazenly defying the whole purpose of the School Jail in which she was placed!

The fuzz who are in the schools also have this "when you have a hammer, everything appears to be a nail" syndrome. They need to treat the kids in the same way they treat people accused of offenses out there, with beatings, handcuffs, abuse, arrests, tasers, etc...

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2013, 11:06 am

xenon13 wrote:
The School Jail is meant to be a boring, tedious place and unpleasant and sleep provides a respite from the tedium... she was brazenly defying the whole purpose of the School Jail in which she was placed!

The fuzz who are in the schools also have this "when you have a hammer, everything appears to be a nail" syndrome. They need to treat the kids in the same way they treat people accused of offenses out there, with beatings, handcuffs, abuse, arrests, tasers, etc...

Uh, excuse me, are you saying that the police officer and the teacher had a right to beat her up and arrest her? Or are you just joking?

Meanwhile, this whole scenario is ridiculous. The world is growing more insane than it already is.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 11:25 am

I thought xenon was being sarcastic. Please tell me he is!

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 11:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt230505.html

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 11:55 am

The article doesn't say she's black, but she is, and I knew she was before I googled her. Painfully obvious.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 1:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Not true. It can happen in Idaho

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 1:18 pm

What in the hell, I read the first little bit and even that pisses me off. I don't care what their reasoning was there is no reason for a cop to brutalize a diabetic school kid who fell asleep in class. I don't like how this zero tolerance crap, seems to allow for mistreatment of school kids...I mean I've heard of crap like 5 year olds getting charged with sex crimes for hugging a fellow student and it just amazes me why adults would want to bully kids that way.

Also the following especially disgusts me:

“When police (or ‘school resource officers’ as these sheriff’s deputies are often known) spend time in a school, they often deal with disorder like proper cops -- by slapping cuffs on the little perps and dragging them to the precinct,” wrote Chase Madar for TomDispatch in the wake of the Newtown massacre. The school shooting in Connecticut has sparked more calls--from both Democrats and the National Rifle Association--for more police officers in schools."

It scares me if its true proper cops are supposed to treat school kids like hardened criminals for breaking even small school rules. slap cuffs on them and drag them to the precinct? what the hell purpose does that serve. I am sure it will really prevent further school shootings, because it will in no way contribute to mental health issues, feelings of anger, ostracism and all the things that might push someone in the direction of violence and/or self harm. :roll:

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:03 pm

I know I said the world's getting dumber everyday in another post, but...case and point.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.