Girl gets beaten, arrested for sleeping in class

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:03 pm

I know I said the world's getting dumber everyday in another post, but...case and point.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 3:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Only in Alabama. :roll:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Not true. It can happen in Idaho

ruveyn

Shhh... Don't give Idaho any ideas... :lol:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 3:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

I'm curious to know what you observed in your travels in Alabama that would lead you to believe that this incident is typical of Alabama.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 3:45 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

I'm curious to know what you observed in your travels in Alabama that would lead you to believe that this incident is typical of Alabama.

Mike1 had in fact sent me a link supporting my view of Alabama, though it was admittedly sent after my initial post.
And I never said it was typical of every school in Alabama, though that state does seem to have had problems with singling out minority students for discipline (and someone had posted already that this girl was black).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 4:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Mike1 had in fact sent me a link supporting my view of Alabama, though it was admittedly sent after my initial post.
And I never said it was typical of every school in Alabama, though that state does seem to have had problems with singling out minority students for discipline (and someone had posted already that this girl was black).

Omygod. A black person was abused in Alabama. The sky is falling! I have news for you. Black people are abused everywhere in the U.S.A. not just Alabama. I recall that times for were not good for black folk in Boston back in the 1970s and 1980s. when school busing was the Big Issue.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 4:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

Doesn't automatically make it a race thing just by virtue of her being black and in Alabama.
I fully agree that this was an injustice but it would still be an injustice regardless of race.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 4:42 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

Doesn't automatically make it a race thing just by virtue of her being black and in Alabama.
I fully agree that this was an injustice but it would still be an injustice regardless of race.

Maybe I am letting my regional prejudice get to me, but states in Dixie (not everyone living in said states, mind you) have a certain history which makes one automatically assume race is part of the issue, and not be wrong for that assumption.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 4:55 pm

/\ /\ /\
And 50 (or even 40) years ago you might have very well had a valid point but not nearly so much in the latter half of that 50 years.
Sometimes it seems shamefully obvious that the left values racism and homophobia just to perpetuate it's collective cause.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 5:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\ /\ /\
And 50 (or even 40) years ago you might have very well had a valid point but not nearly so much in the latter half of that 50 years.
Sometimes it seems shamefully obvious that the left values racism and homophobia just to perpetuate it's collective cause.

And it may be said that the right has always denied the existence of racism and homophobia in modern times in order to perpetuate their cause - collective, individual, or otherwise.
And by the way, I never said the south hasn't made amazing strides since the civil rights movement. But it is blatantly wrong to say that there is no racism in certain states anymore that have had a long history of racial discrimination - and not all of them are in the south.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 7:26 pm

Raptor wrote:

No, not just "by virtue of her being black". Because anyone who doesn't live under a rock knows she had to be black or it wouldn't have happened. It would be an injustice regardless of race, but that sort of injustice is far more likely if you happen to be black. How is that not about race?

And I agree, it doesn't really matter where it happened, there are racist cops everywhere.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 7:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
And it may be said that the right has always denied the existence of racism and homophobia in modern times in order to perpetuate their cause - collective, individual, or otherwise.

If the right were as racist and homophobic as you believe they wouldn't bother to deny it. It would be quite the apposite in fact.

Quote:
And by the way, I never said the south hasn't made amazing strides since the civil rights movement.

You implied it with that Alabama comment.
I've known and worked with several Alabamians, mostly from the Huntsville/Redstone Arsenal area, and I honestly can say that they display no more (sometimes considerably less) racism than people I've known in or from Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York.
People from NYC are typically worse and also the most hypocritical. They'll throw the N word around as if it were a just another common noun and use the word "fa***t" to describe anyone that don't like but in the same breath loudly accuse anyone in or from the south of being backward hicks.

Quote:
But it is blatantly wrong to say that there is no racism in certain states anymore that have had a long history of racial discrimination - and not all of them are in the south.

Yes, there is racism but I assure you runs both ways.
The one sided racism that the left enthusiastically rallies around is greatly diminished and has diminished as much as it's going to be for the foreseeable future so don't lose any sleep over it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 7:50 pm

Nonperson wrote:
Raptor wrote:

No, not just "by virtue of her being black". Because anyone who doesn't live under a rock knows she had to be black or it wouldn't have happened. It would be an injustice regardless of race, but that sort of injustice is far more likely if you happen to be black. How is that not about race?

You're saying that if she were white this wouldn't have happened?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 7:53 pm

Rope!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 7:53 pm

Another thing that bothers me is that there was no mention of the implications of her diabetes. Diabetes in children is often more severe than the "old age" diabetes. If a child with diabetes is passed out during the day the first reaction should be to try to wake her up and check for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). If left untreated this could lead to coma and even death. The school should educate the employees on how to deal with this and make special arrangements for such a child, like being allowed to eat at any time.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 8:05 pm

They shouldn't need education to keep them from roughing up a student and arresting them for falling asleep.
This is something every school employee and cop should already know.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 8:18 pm

Raptor wrote:
They shouldn't need education to keep them from roughing up a student and arresting them for falling asleep.
This is something every school employee and cop should already know.

I agree completely. But in the case of a diabetic being passed out that could be a symptom of low blood sugar which is very dangerous. This could be caused by accidentally injecting the wrong dose of insulin, or having eaten foods with too few carbohydrates.