mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 2:29 am

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2013, 6:59 pm

Hate to say it, but far to many of us ar doomed to have our gifts go to waste. For some these stories are heartwarming, for others it just rubs it in.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 6:07 am

There is a statement in that article that is silly...

That he will probably disprove relativity... we have quantifiable proof that relativity is accurate...

it will be interesting to see what happens

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:37 am

Feralucce wrote:

That he will probably disprove relativity... we have quantifiable proof that relativity is accurate...

Well, he is only 14. I expect unsupportable braggodocio from a 14 year old. That's pretty typical. What isn't typical is for a 14 year old to be working on his Masters degree. He might have a PhD by the time he is a legal adult. He will definately have it by the time he is old enough to legally buy a beer. And when he is old enough to legally buy a beer, he will probably look back with a little embarrassed chagrin at the things his 14 year old self said. His best work will probably come in his 20's after his actual education is completed and while he is still young enough to be unconstrained by dogma and also still young enough to be boundlessly enthusiastic. I see his "disprove relativity" comment as just a bit of youthful enthusiasm. His post-doc work and professional research is where the real good stuff will happen.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:50 pm

Up until now most autistic geniuses were dead so they don't count because the neurotypicals say that you can't diagnose a dead person. But now we have living autistic geniuses.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:20 pm

They said that he would never talk or read at age 2 and he his Aspergers?

Hmmm.

I thought that would be an appreciable language delay and that would make him HFA? No?

catsup
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2013, 6:04 pm

Feralucce wrote:

Theories hold until disproven (Is that a word?)
We have a bunch of numbers consistent with Relativity. That really isn't proof. Maybe I'm confused again. Maybe not. Dunno.
Hi. :D

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 6:33 pm

catsup wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
Theories hold until disproven (Is that a word?)
We have a bunch of numbers consistent with Relativity. That really isn't proof. Maybe I'm confused again. Maybe not. Dunno.
Hi. :D

I concur. There is still much floating about that is poorly understood (dark matter, etc.) and I would love to see if such a theory could be disproven in my lifetime.

People put a lot of stock in numbers as being able to quantify and represent their collective reality. Just because a whole bunch of flawed creatures can agree on a language like math doesn't mean it can even scratch the surface of any ultimate truth. It is only ONE tool we've managed to create (that was within our capability to create), manipulate and communicate in order to understand a very limited segment of the big Everything. There are many other creatures that exist that seem to understand a lot more of the world (which does not include math) than we give them credit for, because we simply do not have adequate tools to communicate with THEM.