Page 9 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,568

17 May 2013, 9:13 am

Cuba has been a positive contributor to Latin America since the revolution. It has been the main source of opposition to the incredible terrorism coming from the United States, with such innovations as "disappearances" and the like. Why, they even had their own client former Vice-President and Foreign Minister burned to death in a foreign embassy in the name of "fighting terrorism"... a violation by the way of the sanctity of said embassy. Che Guavara used to taunt the Americans by saying "We are not Guatemala", the favourite chamber of horrors used to try out all innovations of horror coming from the north.



Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

17 May 2013, 12:55 pm

xenon13 wrote:
It has been the main source of opposition to the incredible terrorism coming from the United States, with such innovations as "disappearances" and the like.


:lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Now we're a terrorist nation.
Gotta love it. :D


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Age: 116
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,972

17 May 2013, 1:29 pm

Image



Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,791
Location: Where two great rivers meet

17 May 2013, 1:33 pm

I don't know if terrorist is the right label, but the US as a nation has historically acted as a bully , using force or the threat of it to further it's economical or political interests while the other nations and their people suffer because of it. Their support to a lot of right-wing latinamerican dictatorships is a prime example, I wonder how would you explain or justify that.


_________________
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Winston Churchill


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,329
Location: Aux Arcs

17 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\ /\ /\ /\
I don't know; the roads and streets in the rust belt would be hard to top in terms of crappy condition.
I thought it was surreal the first trip I remember taking far enough south as a kid that the roads were actually good and not just a series of crudely "patched" (or not so patched) pot holes, bumps, cracks, and dips.
Every time I go back there the streets are a little worse. You cannot even drive the speed limit on some of them because of being bounced around.
And I'm talking paved streets in town, not just in the outback.



I wish I still had the copy of a magazine that had a photo where a man had drug a mattress into a pothole on a paved Louisana road. :lol: I've seen some really bad pavement here,but it's worse in the south part of the state,the log trucks really beat those roads out.And I-40 is so rough everyone pulls over because they think they have a flat tire.And part of the highway here is sliding off the mountain.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

17 May 2013, 2:16 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Image


What's that supposed to signify besides piddling around with photoshop?


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,059
Location: the place I'm from doesn't exist anymore

17 May 2013, 6:52 pm

Shatbat wrote:
I don't know if terrorist is the right label, but the US as a nation has historically acted as a bully , using force or the threat of it to further it's economical or political interests while the other nations and their people suffer because of it. Their support to a lot of right-wing latinamerican dictatorships is a prime example, I wonder how would you explain or justify that.


Last time I checked, the U.S. defines terrorism as a government allowing a terrorist organisation to operate within their country, either with radio silence from, or approval and support, from the government - while attacking foreign nations. The U.S. has been supporting terrorists from Miami for decades. By their own definition that they've chosen to use, they're terrorists but they don't give a damn, as long as they consider the opponent "worse". And "worse" is subjective at best, because it's entirely dependant on your viewpoint.


_________________
Diagnostic Tools and Resources for Women with AS: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt211004.html


ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Age: 116
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,972

17 May 2013, 8:15 pm

Raptor wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Image


What's that supposed to signify besides piddling around with photoshop?


That actually wasn't photoshopped

http://blog.sfgate.com/stienstra/2013/0 ... e-gallery/



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,329
Location: Aux Arcs

17 May 2013, 9:55 pm

Looks like a Red winged Blackbird.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,568

18 May 2013, 12:53 am

Raptor wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
It has been the main source of opposition to the incredible terrorism coming from the United States, with such innovations as "disappearances" and the like.


:lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Now we're a terrorist nation.
Gotta love it. :D


Guatemala under US influence was a deepening nightmare. It was the test ground for everything that plagued US-dominated Latin America. A CIA coup with US air support, disappearances, death squads and it escalated to genocide over there. They burned their own former vice president and foreign minister in the Spanish embassy in the name of fighting "terrorism".

As US-trained dictator Carlos Arana Osorio, aka, The Butcher of Zacapa, put it in 1971, "If it is nessecary to turn the country into a cemetery in order to pacify it, I will not hesitate to do so."



Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

18 May 2013, 7:22 am

Misslizard wrote:
Looks like a Red winged Blackbird.


Must be one sorry hawk to allow another bird to take a free ride.
I must say, though, that was very creative piloting on behalf of the redwing blackbird.


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

18 May 2013, 7:34 am

xenon13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
It has been the main source of opposition to the incredible terrorism coming from the United States, with such innovations as "disappearances" and the like.


:lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Now we're a terrorist nation.
Gotta love it. :D


Guatemala under US influence was a deepening nightmare. It was the test ground for everything that plagued US-dominated Latin America. A CIA coup with US air support, disappearances, death squads and it escalated to genocide over there. They burned their own former vice president and foreign minister in the Spanish embassy in the name of fighting "terrorism".

As US-trained dictator Carlos Arana Osorio, aka, The Butcher of Zacapa, put it in 1971, "If it is nessecary to turn the country into a cemetery in order to pacify it, I will not hesitate to do so."


That's called counter-insurgency, not terrorism even though the two may use some of the same "tools".
Remember the expression: You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Age: 116
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,972

18 May 2013, 7:42 am

Raptor wrote:
That's called counter-insurgency, not terrorism even though the two may use some of the same "tools".
Remember the expression: You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.


:roll:
If your side does it, it is "counter-insurgency." If another side does it, it is "terrorism."
:roll:

You haven't yet deployed your favourite emoticon in this discussion. You must feel that you are losing.



xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,568

18 May 2013, 8:54 am

Raptor wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
It has been the main source of opposition to the incredible terrorism coming from the United States, with such innovations as "disappearances" and the like.


:lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Now we're a terrorist nation.
Gotta love it. :D


Guatemala under US influence was a deepening nightmare. It was the test ground for everything that plagued US-dominated Latin America. A CIA coup with US air support, disappearances, death squads and it escalated to genocide over there. They burned their own former vice president and foreign minister in the Spanish embassy in the name of fighting "terrorism".

As US-trained dictator Carlos Arana Osorio, aka, The Butcher of Zacapa, put it in 1971, "If it is nessecary to turn the country into a cemetery in order to pacify it, I will not hesitate to do so."


That's called counter-insurgency, not terrorism even though the two may use some of the same "tools".
Remember the expression: You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.


On one night, 30 members of a political party disappeared and the US ran the whole thing and part of the scheme was to make sure that there were denials to make this a real "disappearance" in order to terrorise people further. However, as the bodies were thrown out of a helicopter into the sea some washed ashore...

These techniques were exported to Argentina for the Dirty War, all through the same channel. Dan Mitreone was known for transporting torture implements in his diplomatic pouch when on a diplomatic mission to Montevideo in Uruguay. In fact, the US devotion to torture is nothing new, it's just more overt now.

I cannot believe any reasonable person can justify what happened in Guatemala. It was ruled genocide believe it or not, and done with Reagan's support and sure Rios Montt tried the old "the Americans were for it so it must be good" argument but though that might work at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia it was not accepted in Guatemala.

By the way, after 10 years of representative democracy in Guatemala, the CIA got rid of it with its 1954 intervention, the first of the two presidents of this less repressive era Juan Jose Arevalo had admired the FDR presidency and after what had happened in 1954 he said "The wings of the Third Reich were broken and conquered but in the ideological dialogue Roosevelt lost the war. The real winner was Hitler".



Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

18 May 2013, 9:03 am

xenon13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
It has been the main source of opposition to the incredible terrorism coming from the United States, with such innovations as "disappearances" and the like.


:lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Now we're a terrorist nation.
Gotta love it. :D


Guatemala under US influence was a deepening nightmare. It was the test ground for everything that plagued US-dominated Latin America. A CIA coup with US air support, disappearances, death squads and it escalated to genocide over there. They burned their own former vice president and foreign minister in the Spanish embassy in the name of fighting "terrorism".

As US-trained dictator Carlos Arana Osorio, aka, The Butcher of Zacapa, put it in 1971, "If it is nessecary to turn the country into a cemetery in order to pacify it, I will not hesitate to do so."


That's called counter-insurgency, not terrorism even though the two may use some of the same "tools".
Remember the expression: You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.


On one night, 30 members of a political party disappeared and the US ran the whole thing and part of the scheme was to make sure that there were denials to make this a real "disappearance" in order to terrorise people further. However, as the bodies were thrown out of a helicopter into the sea some washed ashore...

These techniques were exported to Argentina for the Dirty War, all through the same channel. Dan Mitreone was known for transporting torture implements in his diplomatic pouch when on a diplomatic mission to Montevideo in Uruguay. In fact, the US devotion to torture is nothing new, it's just more overt now.

I cannot believe any reasonable person can justify what happened in Guatemala. It was ruled genocide believe it or not, and done with Reagan's support and sure Rios Montt tried the old "the Americans were for it so it must be good" argument but though that might work at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia it was not accepted in Guatemala.

By the way, after 10 years of representative democracy in Guatemala, the CIA got rid of it with its 1954 intervention, the first of the two presidents of this less repressive era Juan Jose Arevalo had admired the FDR presidency and after what had happened in 1954 he said "The wings of the Third Reich were broken and conquered but in the ideological dialogue Roosevelt lost the war. The real winner was Hitler".


And there has never been any communist backed genocide or terrorism in countries like that around the world?
:roll:


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,791
Location: Where two great rivers meet

18 May 2013, 9:18 am

This is not really about communism; there is no doubt atrocious crimes have been commited on it's name, and I'm sure there has been communist backed genocide and terrorism in the world. But one wrong doesn't justify another, and I'm also pretty sure there has been US backed genocide and even terrorism around the world.

Also, the person whose eggs get cracked and the person who gets the omelette are not always the same one.


_________________
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Winston Churchill