The Southern Thread (how to talk to Southerners)

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:02 am

Say y'all instead of you all...and remember the Alamo and say the south will rise again.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:41 am

As a Southerner (U.S.), I do much enjoy and prefer the company of other Southerners, to the extent my aspie-self enjoys the company of other people.

I enjoyed the humorous tongue-in-cheek lines in the original post. For those that do not already know, I can offer my thoughts on how to get along with someone from the South:

- Be polite, respectful, and deferential

- Conceit is a turn-off; a bit of humble self-effacement is a turn-on

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 7:04 am

I just came in to represent Maryland. After all, we're south of the Mason Dixon. And many of the families here fought for the south. And many people sound like they're from South Carolina. And... Oh, I see you all have someplace else to be. Maryland'll just sit here and... *sniff* :(

j/k :lol:

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 3:10 pm

Apparently the South has developed a means for the Southern Belles (who happen to be a tad less than belles) to get themselves hitched.

[img][800:448]http://youthcast.org/audio/2010/03/Sadie_Hawkins_Day.jpg[/img]

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 3:22 pm

You've never heard of Sadie Hawkins Day before? It's an old custom. The Sadie Hawkins Dance is the one the girls ask the guys to.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 6:56 am

I thought that it had been abolished due to political correctness

[img][800:555]http://d1k217qge1tz5p.cloudfront.net/img/Items/10000/9592.jpg[/img]

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 7:19 am

It was strange when they announced the public schools were not to have Sadie Hawkins day or dance any more. We had that in our high school and it was fun. For once I got to choose instead of sitting back waiting to be chosen. I wasn't ugly just very shy.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 10:25 am

Maybe it got too chaotic?

I never went in for dances myself.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 10:29 am

Some of the ladies must have worked out specifically for the event.

Ferrus91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2013, 10:40 am

Fnord wrote:
"Uh-uh ... ya yay-n-key ah-yes-howl!"

Yeah until I saw a film set in the American Civil War I thought all Americans were yank(ee)s.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 10:56 am

Moonshine McSwine from Lil'Abner.I went to The Dogpatch amusement park every year as a kid,it was a lot of fun.It's closed now and the grounds are just sitting there.It looks sad.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:24 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
I just came in to represent Maryland. After all, we're south of the Mason Dixon. And many of the families here fought for the south. And many people sound like they're from South Carolina. And... Oh, I see you all have someplace else to be. Maryland'll just sit here and... *sniff* :(

Anyone north of Tennessee if a Yankee! And even including Tennessee is being purty libral hur!

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:40 am

E.B. White wrote:
To foreigners, a Yankee is an American. To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner. To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner. To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander. To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter. And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZQZ8KL3as[/youtube]

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:56 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:

Anyone north of Tennessee if a Yankee! And even including Tennessee is being purty libral hur!

But... but... but... Virginia's north of Tennessee!

Sirs, perhaps there are those among you who believe that anyone north of Tennessee is a yankee. I suppose there may be those among you who believe that a man of Tennessee is a yankee. But I challenge the man to step forward who believes that General Robert E. Lee is a yankee!

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 6:10 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
But I challenge the man to step forward who believes that General Robert E. Lee is a yankee!

He was a closeted Yankee

meems
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 7:57 pm

Texas being Southern is pretty debatable. I mean there is a noticeable difference when you go East of Texas, it becomes the ACTUAL SOUTH. I think it's kind of silly to be like "I'm a proud Southerner!" if you're from Texas.

ANYWAY I'M FROM TEXAS and people constantly tell me I "sound like a yank" which I think is Texan/Southern code for "You sound like a queer."

None of this is really that relevant to this thread I guess but POSTY POSTY POSTY