Online Degrees vs "Regular" Degrees

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2013, 8:31 am

Online Degrees - Are they just as good as "Regular" Degrees?

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 8:38 am

In which way?

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2013, 9:05 am

Let's say, someone reviews your credentials. They ask which university you studied in and then you say that you got your degree online. Will it "matter" in the eyes of the person who views your educational background? I notice some people are biased against people who are home-schooled, for example. Is there a similar bias against people who get their degrees online?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 10:34 am

I think that they are seen as rather low quality degrees.

I think that government employers are more likely to accept them than many private companies.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 10:36 am

It depends on the school.

Look for an online program ran by a traditional brick and motor school. For example, my friend got a Masters of Library Science online, but she got it from Drexel, an established school in PA. She got a huge promotion when she got it.

On the flip side, I've had people tell me that they either throw out or rank down applicants who got degrees from places like University of Phoenix.

So just be smart about the school you choose.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:17 am

Depends on the degree and whether they are accredited or not.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:51 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
Depends on the degree and whether they are accredited or not.

If they aren't accredited, the only value of the degrees is in their ability to fool people into thinking they are good.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2013, 1:34 pm

I am thinking about pursuing an online degree, and the debate over the value of an online degree versus a regular degree keeps coming up in my mind.

I would certainly do better in an online program, but I want a degree that will lead to gainful employment.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 1:42 pm

SPtread wrote:
I am thinking about pursuing an online degree, and the debate over the value of an online degree versus a regular degree keeps coming up in my mind.

I would certainly do better in an online program, but I want a degree that will lead to gainful employment.

More and more regular colleges are offering some of their classes online.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 4:11 pm

eric76 wrote:
SPtread wrote:

More and more regular colleges are offering some of their classes online.

THIS.

Do not go to some place like University of Phoenix or some other for profit school. Generally, they are over priced and the quality of the classes is questionable at best.

Pretty much any major public university/college will offer online classes these days. Since my recent medical problems, I've been taking as many classes as I can online and I go to a flagship state university.

Around here, even the local community college offers extensive online classes. Generally, the only classes that you cannot take online are tech classes that use special equipment, and science labs. Also, depending on the class/instructor you might still need to go to a campus testing center for exams/tests.

Bottom line is, if you are interested in going back to school "online" check out your local community college or state university first. If you are not going for a science or engineering degree, chances are you could take all your classes online....

Personally, I like taking classes on campus, but I'm old enough that I don't feel pressure to socialize with my younger classmates. I have made friends with a few professors.

Whatever you do, please stay away from for profit schools. There's no reason to use them unless you just have a lot of money and don't really care about learning anything.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 6:09 pm

Another thing is accreditation. Don't pick an online school unless it is regionally-accredited by one of the major regional accrediting organizations. I've seen job vacancies specifying that only regionally-accredited degrees could be used to meet the qualifications for the position.

Otherwise, I'll echo the previously-posted advice.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2013, 7:37 pm

I'll reiterate what others are saying.

These days, many of the big state universities have online programs. Often a program like this will be in a discipline geared towards working professionals and will essentially be a standard degree in online form.

However, avoid the trap of the for-profit university. Those universities exist exclusively to suck away federal loan and grant money. There may be a good professor or two at the U. of Phoenix, but for the most part they funnel you in and funnel you out.

I wouldn't find an online program by Googling "online university". Then you'll just get Phoenix/ITT/DeVry. Instead Google some respected public universities in your area and see if they have an online program.

revolutionarygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2013, 9:36 pm

I think what you get out of an online class depends on what you put into it. You have to be self motivated and interested to really study the material. I'd say a traditional class is almost always better, but an online class here and there isn't bad. I wouldn't get a degree online unless: you were sure no one would know you go it online, or you have a specific career that you know that you can get with this degree, and there is no issue with getting it online.

Degreeinfo has a great forum if you have any questions.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:26 pm

My next to the oldest brother once took a PE course on-line. It basically involved getting a certain amount of exercise, in his case walking, and then reporting it on-line.

The reason for the course was to be enrolled as a student in a college with a good medical insurance plan available to its students and thus be able to reduce the yearly cost of his insurance coverage from the $15,000 he had been paying to $1,400.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 6:14 am

I study long distance, which is very similar to what the OP is talking about.

I've heard from people who have attended the same uni say that employers look upon them - because we don't have regular classes (I have classes about once a month) and have to motivate ourselves.

I've heard from some people (who clearly have no idea what they're talking about) that long distance / online study makes you lazy - it doesn't. You've got to motivate yourself to study.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2013, 10:10 pm

Some good advice. Thanks everyone who posted.