Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 1:46 pm

It is now late Spring/early Summer here in the Northern Hemisphere, and I know there is type of Seasonal Affective Disorder which occurs in this time of year. And, I get that disorder. I get it in winter, too.

In the winter, I just feel mentally slow and mentally darker. In late spring/early summer, I get tired, , and I get agitated easily. I tend to bite my tongue more often, too.

Why does it occur in late spring/early summer, though? We are past the Spring Equinox, now, and are getting plenty of light, so, what gives?

-- Bill, otherwise known as Frieslander.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 2:11 pm

You could be sensitive to light, so in the winter you suffer with the lack of light, and in high summer you suffer because of too much light. The long daylight hours can affect quality of sleep.

Or you could have hay fever right now, which makes people tired.

VirginiaRose
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2013, 10:59 pm

I notice that I tend to get more sluggish and depressed in the spring and summer. I've attributed it to too much sun since I tend to be most tired on days when I get the most sun. My mood is generally much better in fall and winter.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 2:57 pm

Well, I live in the south of the U.K and although I haven't lived in the countryside for that long I already seem to get more symptoms connected to my eyes and ears and throat than anywhere else. but I shouldn't complain really, it got me out of a town, which was over crowded and too polluted for my taste. People don't think that hay fever gives rise to feelings of depression but it does. I had a g.p once who used to say that herbal remedies could solve pretty much anything bear in mind he had awful hay fever sneezing and eyes streaming.
He also thought that what I used to feel of my environment then was a symptom of stress. yeah, well done doc, you sussed me out. I mean, I never used to get much help, not through want of trying and people there were just fake and never used to give a much of a hoot.
Thankfully, my stress and nerves have evened out over the course of a year but im still having to clear up the mess that some medical practitioners thought they could resolve simply by waving a hand at someone and mind filling out all the blanks. The truth is whether I did have a symptom of mild depression due to seasonal and emotional disturbance I should have got proper help and some meds. not park me off to some weirdo counsellor who was only interested in financial gain and voilà, you get to keep going back to hear rubbish, not worth mentioning on w.p/
or anywhere else.
The key thing for hay fever sufferers is if you can, move by the sea as you get a lot of natural light and air brought up via a tonic of natural warm air and sea minerals. the environment is more than just a quick fix to some problems it pretty much solves all your key issues in one go if you let it.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2013, 3:35 pm

My dad has SAD and he uses a happy light for it.

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

20 May 2013, 5:40 pm

I tend to hate end of May to end Of September because of the heat but come to think of it, depression is somewhat worse in the summer. I had a major depressive episode in the beginning of June but sometimes it can happen in the winter.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 8:40 am

I'm always more tired during spring and summer. The long days really get to me. I always feel better in the winter when it dawns later and the sun sets earlier.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

glow
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 4:21 pm

I m a sucker for this time of the year. its like there is a spring storm out there and you are forced to blend in with it. Like everything is in full bloom, you start noticing it from like early march or the end of February when the dark days are finally ending.
Also, light sensitivity is another issue, when I m feeling the blues because I often end up staying in a bespoke way for a while before someone can lighten up my mood. somehow.

[img][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy005.gif[/img][/img]

(u_u)

glow
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 4:23 pm

I m a sucker for this time of the year. its like there is a spring storm out there and you are forced to blend in with it. Like everything is in full bloom, you start noticing it from like early march or the end of February when the dark days are finally ending.
Also, light sensitivity is another issue, when I m feeling the blues because I often end up staying in a bespoke way for a while before someone can lighten up my mood. somehow.

[img][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy005.gif[/img][/img]

(u_u) [img][img]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/housework/gardening-smiley-emoticon.gif[/img][/img]