Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2013, 5:45 pm

I've had several psychologists who have asked me about these old sayings..which as a kid I probably wouldn't have known but I always try to answer questions truthfully and I know these now as an adult.

things like:
"Don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house" (can you guess this one?)
"Rome wasn't built in a week" (Didn't know this one..but I think it means things take time?)
"A small leak can sink a large ship" (Didn't know this one either..but it was supposed to mean that small things can turn into big probllems?)

things like these...I just think these are stupid as a test for autism or aspergers especially for adults...

these might be ok for kids to test..but adults have lived awhile and hear these things so have probably found out or understood what they mean
I assume this is their "test" for seeing if you take things literally but it is stupid....they should just ask you questions that someone might take literally

like I often go to cuba and smoke cigars...or I don't know....just these sayings are not a good representation...what do you think?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 6:08 pm

I think if your psychologists were asking you those questions then you're right: they're trying to see whether you understand literal language and figurative speech. Some folks on the spectrum are quite literal in their interpretations of things and events. If they were to be told to show up for a party at 8 PM, then 8 PM on the nose they'll arrive. The typical NT would probably stroll in around 8:30 PM or 9 PM because, well, that's the NT way.

Wrongbilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2013, 6:15 pm

You are of course right. As we grow older we come to understand what it means by "Rome wasn't built in a day" ... When I was younger I only thought "people in glasshouses" shouldn't throw stones because the windows are all made of glass and they would break them.
As I have grown older I have done a lot of research on the origins of "old sayings" so of course I would not take any of them literally and even those that I do not know I would make some attempt right or wrong to work out what they might mean.

You are right.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 6:24 pm

these questions aren't only asked of those with suspected AS, but of every person who undergoes a mental status exam, that is most folks who see a psychiatrist or neurologist. I used to use these q's to evaluate stroke and dementia patients in my primary care practice.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2013, 12:49 am

interesting...never would have pegged them for that use- thanks for the info

maybe could have been for another reason I don't know

same thing for me billy, used to take the glass house thing literally and think it was obvious...their house's might break/shatter etc..but know a little better...and even ones I don't know I try to make up something.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 4:42 am

I understand most of those sayings.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2013, 5:13 am

I translate some of these sayings in my head. If I don't know one, I find it on the Internet.
I believe that people should say what they mean and not communicate with confusing metaphors and proverbs.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 5:33 am

I think you are right in examples 2 and 3. In example 1 it means basically that people should not attack someone else verbally if they are guilty of the same thing (same thing they are attacking for.)