Page 93 of 93 [ 1390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 9:11 am

Any fans of anime where the main character travels to another world with magic? Because this season has the ambitious crossover of Isekai Quartet, a joke series that sees the characters of Konosuba, Overlord, Saga of Tanya the Evil and Re:Zero clashing together.

Sorry about the way the video is, I might look for one that manages to look better and survive the copyright on YouTube.

The new season is on, and I expect to give a general overview of what catches my eye within the week.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

I still have two episodes to go but I really enjoyed Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 1:01 pm

I really can't stand to see any more isekai. It's a horse that's been beaten well past death.

Rad Rockit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2019, 1:14 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I really can't stand to see any more isekai. It's a horse that's been beaten well past death.

Not really a fan either. I kinda like Konosuba, but that does at least try something a little different. Ans I don't hate Log Horizon, but beyond that, it's all seems to basically just be the same characters and situations endlessly regurgitated.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 10:29 pm

My Gate DVD set is on the way, so I like the setting. I also enjoyed Log Horizon. I wish they'd animate more of The Twelve Kingdoms, too.

However, I dropped all my subscriptions a while back, and have been watching lots of Numberphile videos, and other Brady Haran productions. I needed to get back in touch with reality for a bit.

I've been watching discs that I own with a friend, occasionally, but we're limited by his need for a dub and his dislike of school settings. That eliminates about 80 percent of my collection. We finished Chobits. I may try Nana or Honey and Clover next. I'm still not often in the mood for darker stuff, but maybe Michiko and Hatchin or Paranoia Agent, eventually.

Looking forward to seeing what he thinks of Gate, and kind of interested to hear the dub.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 11:28 pm

Rad Rockit wrote:
Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

Not really a fan either. I kinda like Konosuba, but that does at least try something a little different. Ans I don't hate Log Horizon, but beyond that, it's all seems to basically just be the same characters and situations endlessly regurgitated.

Have either of you watched the other series, because it is not really random that these four get chosen, in that they are actually really good anime that don't really suffer from the problems of many isekai series.

Konosuba kind of makes fun of the whole isekai, especially in terms of power fantasy and perfect characters, being that the characters can be hilariously bad people.

Overlord has the main character become an evil skeleton and all of his cohorts are pretty much evil monsters. The line of villain being blurry.

Saga of Tanya the Evil, main character also not really a good guy, kind of questionable from the outset of being set in totally not Germany in totally not magic versions of WW1 and 2. With the huge gap of the body of a young

And Re:Zero, lets just say it is not really a happy fun time adventure show, that it often gets compared to Dark Souls. And on top of utterly destroying some unhealthy aspects of otaku.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 7:23 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Have either of you watched the other series, because it is not really random that these four get chosen, in that they are actually really good anime that don't really suffer from the problems of many isekai series.

I've seen or read all of them except for Saga of Tanya the Evil, which is something I might read in the future given it's generally highly recommended. Konosuba I love, I think it's one of the best comedy series in years. Both its light novels and anime are top notch.

I didn't like the structure of both Overlord and Re;Zero, which have these small arcs that don't really feel like they're leading up to anything or part of an overarching narrative. Like when suddenly a whale attacks... it's such a random event that by its resolution continues to seem completely unrelated to the plot at large. But Re;Zero had an interesting premise, where it kind of riffs on the power fantasy of these types of shows, by having a main character have a super powerful ability that really sucks to experience.

Overlord I didn't like because it seemed like a cliche power fantasy with a completely uninteresting premise. I also didn't like how a lot of plot elements just seemed to be introduced only to never be mentioned again. And I never got a sense of the motivations of most of its main characters. I stopped watching it after season 2. The most interesting thing I found about it was the Dungeons and Dragons feel of the world. Maybe the source material was better, but based on the anime I'm not interested in consuming more of it.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 7:59 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Like when suddenly a whale attacks... it's such a random event that by its resolution continues to seem completely unrelated to the plot at large. But Re;Zero had an interesting premise, where it kind of riffs on the power fantasy of these types of shows, by having a main character have a super powerful ability that really sucks to experience.

If I have some understanding what the deal was, the main deal was the witch cult attack lead by Betelgeuse, where for some reason Emilia has a strong connection to, and the whale was mostly a way to lock off the surrounding area so they could do what they needed, without being bothered. The whale being another creation of the witch, Betelgeuse presumably could get it into the spot for defence, but its history made it a good target against that we could see different groups work together to stop it. Yeah the idea of a whale is strange, but was relevant to the plot at hand with the attack, and the wider story as a creation of the witch. Mostly theory, but I was thinking that there seems to be the cult thinking that they can cause havoc for the witch's favour, yet they don't actually understand what she really wants, and her connection to Subaru.

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Overlord I didn't like because it seemed like a cliche power fantasy with a completely uninteresting premise. I also didn't like how a lot of plot elements just seemed to be introduced only to never be mentioned again. And I never got a sense of the motivations of most of its main characters. I stopped watching it after season 2. The most interesting thing I found about it was the Dungeons and Dragons feel of the world. Maybe the source material was better, but based on the anime I'm not interested in consuming more of it.

I thought that second season was bad, it took way too many detours, that it just was feeling really unfocused in what direction was. I was giving up hope to as it never felt like it was living up to potential. Third season got a lot better in my opinion, going back to the first village, and focusing more on what the plan was. And I think just a better look at the characters that matter, a better look at interesting side of Nazarick, as well as a clearer picture that looks like Ainz has lost a lot of his humanity that he could have empathy for humans.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 6:18 am

Okay, I will give a list of what has jumped at me for the Spring 2019 anime season.

The 2019 version of Fruits Basket. I never watched the old version, I guess that just the idea of charm would not have been worth to me for something a little more graphically limited now, but I am more into a good shoujo now days, and so far this looks great.

Next would be Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu, probably for us socially anxious people, with the protagonist being such a character. I heard a little bit of a description that had it mentioned as a little bit relatable without the wanting to die from second hand embarrassment that you could get from Watamote. It looks like mostly just good fun.

Next one comes with a high recommendation, that is Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. It looks fantastic as a new shounen jump series given the treatment of a more contained series, and a lot of effort into its looks and atmosphere for the story. The trailer bellow does seem to maybe show a little too much, but maybe why it has many excited.

Next up is We Never Learn: BOKUBEN, and I would say it looks a little trashy as the sort of romcoms you see every season, being a little bit risqué but mostly fine. Strange that tutors for the setting seem to have been a little up lately.

Next is a P.A. Works original, Fairy gone, which can be as amazing as Shirobako and Sakura Quest, or as lack of life as Glasslip. I am kind of into it, because 1 it has fairies, and 2 those fairies look like dark monsters. Maybe some of it sounds a bit silly, but it is taking itself seriously, and I can kind of be into that.

Midnight Occult Civil Servants kind of feels a little similar, being secret bureaucracy trying to keep supernatural beings under control. I was a little bit worried that it maybe could get a tad too melodramatic and the wrong type of implementing mythological creatures for my liking, but it pulled an interesting thing with points of view.

RobiHachi feels a little bit Space Dandy, a partnership of somewhat conflicting friends and a robot, the main character being a bit of a deadbeat. Only it does seem a bit more likable for a feminine audience.

One Punch Man season 2 is coming out, I will just let everyone find their own videos for that, since it was such a sensation. There has been a change in studios and people were worried that it might see a big drop in quality, but its first episode seemed fine.

Wise Man's Grandchild is the new overpowered coming back in another life in another world anime, a normal one unlike Isekai Quartet. I am kind of digging it to along with Shield Hero that is continuing. Looks like it is mostly just well done from its first episode, having some fun, and not quite being the laziness I have seen in others.

And lastly, I think is the one that everyone should be paying attention to Carole & Tuesday. A little warning first, that it seems to have its rights with Netflix, so legal English streams is going to take a while come out, maybe even 6 months when it is finished. But what is so cool about is that it has the director of Cowboy Bebop and Studio Bones, a setting a little sci-fi as being set on Mars, but a musical focus, with what seems to be a more western feel. I apparently missed the hype for this, which may go to say I had no expectations going into the first episode, but it kind of just blew me a way, but not by something bombastic, it was just a wave of feels from just being good. This is quality, the current frontrunner for anime of the season, if you will have to look alternate ways to watch it.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

As long as the story quality is the same, I don't care much about the change in animation for One Punch Man. I haven't seen an anime season this small in quite awhile.