Page 92 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2021, 10:50 am

addie222 wrote:
well, I would love recommendations for animes to watch :)
I really enjoy stuff like your lie in april and Orange. Anything short and sweet is right up my alley
As for animes I can't stand, definitely sword art online. sorry, but I just found it terrible

Here's a few recommendations I think have a similar feel.

Kono oto tomare: it's also about a high school musicians. I like how the group in the koto club are all so different and normally wouldn't associate with each other. They bond over playing koto together.

Those snow white notes: it's about a teenager who loses his ability to play music when his grandfather dies. It's his search to find his own sound and the people he meets along the way who help him.

Aria the animation: this one does have 3 seasons so it's not short. I add it because it is a coming of age story and super sweet and calming. When I'm having a rough day I watch an episode and it always brightens my mood. I like that each episode is one small vignette into her life.

Clannad and Clannad after story: this anime is beautiful and sweet. Clannad after story is complete genius. I don't want to be a spoiler so all I'll say is: if you like orange with the kind of time travelish element I think you'll like this.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

professorkiki33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2021, 4:00 pm

I'm watching Sailor Moon for the first time on Hulu. It's great. People say they can't stand the English dub, but I find it kinda cute, even endearing. :heart:

Follow me on Instagram for spiritual digital art stuff: https://www.instagram.com/kikicosmicguide/

Check out my Coloring Book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989VKSBY

hariboci
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2021, 3:17 pm

Spunge42 wrote:
Those snow white notes: it's about a teenager who loses his ability to play music when his grandfather dies. It's his search to find his own sound and the people he meets along the way who help him.

I watched this last week and was really great! Although I'm totally into traditional arts.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 5:28 am

Alright, I have been a bit busy, but it looks like all the Fall 2021 anime have had their first episodes, and there are a lot of them, with via the ANN preview guide showing at least 36 new shows. Lord knows that I want to cut down how many I am watching, and I will put forward some that I find particularly interesting.

First one is one is the reason I was putting of in waiting, being something I had high hopes for, and currently might be in some legal weirdness in watching, due to being one of the Netflix anime; Komi Can't Communicate, although just checking Netflix it looks like they might actually be releasing it weekly, with a couple weeks delay. The general idea is a guy becoming friends with a super popular girl that everyone idolises, by finding out that everyone assumes is super aloof and cool, but actually is really bad at talking (social anxiety). I was also kind of interested because I had heard there is a likely non-binary character, who showed up in the second episode.

Next, Mieruko-chan, which has some conflicting opinions on. Kind of that at least from first couple of episodes it is largely build around the same kind of joke as its central idea, it is that the titular main character can see creepy ghost like spectres, and her way of dealing with them is by trying to ignore them. Essentially that incredibly gross and scary ghosts keep approaching her if she can see them, and she just tries to ignore them with a massive poker face while scared out of her mind. As a horror comedy, I don't think it is that bad, but as many people have pointed out it tends to use some really distracting fanservice that just pull away from the horror comedy, but people who have read the manga seem to say that this was mostly a problem at the start of the manga, and got better after a while. So it might get more worth it.

A particular one that weirdly hooked me has been takt op. Destiny, which wouldn't normally be a big deal as it is being a collaboration of Mappa and Mad House. During the first episode I just couldn't put my finger on what was gripping me, and I think that there was something about the art, especially when it pulled a Panty & Stocking animation bit. Anyway, general idea is of A Quite Place like monsters that attack music, so music is rare, and the main male character turns himself into a conductor to conduct the female character as a monster fighter. First episode was pretty cool by jumping in, although second episode kind of went into the exposition flashback, with just a lot of music.

Maybe talking music, I should mention a show that started airing late last season and is still going, Love Live Superstar. It is the latest of the Love Live franchise, but watching any of the previous shows is not needed. Pretty much a new group of girls as high school idols, although they kind of broke away from the previous formulae by only having 5 members instead of the standard 9, which I think is kind of good since the previous season kind of felt like it really strained to make all the members feel like central characters while it also removed the whole group dynamic. But this season went back to the group, and is being directed by the first two season's director, who did good comedy then, and is really fine tuned now, especially with one member being a gremlin and the other a total goofball Keke.

Next show, Sakugan. This show looks fantastic, while being like a strange mix of Gurren Lagann, Made in Abyss, and take your pick of father daughter anime. I am really not sure what else to say than one of the shows to watch even if you might only watch a couple, it made a really good first impression.

And to pick at least one isekai, The Faraway Paladin. I will leave it granted that this is a show I am kind of uncertain of, as the first episode didn't really explore much of the greater world, rather than showing someone reborn as a child being oddly raised by three undead. But it didn't seem to give off any problematic signs either, so it might be a good watch, without any creep aspects.

There are a whole lot of other shows too.

DRR345
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2021, 2:06 pm

I watch Anime almost everyday and and still love it.

Some of the new Anime currently watching are:
Boruto: next generations
Digimon: Ghost Game
Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Dai
Takt op.Destiny
Ranking of Kings
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

And there some others as well.

I should look at some of the Netflix stuff like Komi Can't Communicate, Shaman King and Eden’s Zero.

I really should catch up with One Piece which has almost 1000 episodes!?!

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm

I have returned to this thread to announce that I am a MASSIVE Komi Can't Communicate fan. The nonbinary character, Osana Najimi, is genderfluid, and while they may be the punchline of jokes at times, I still like them a lot. Then there's Komi who is my absolute favourite character. I absolutely headcanon her as autistic as well as having intense social anxiety. Plus, guess what? Season 2's been confirmed and should air April next year!
Another one that I've come back to is Ergo Proxy, which on opening seems like a sci-fi detective story about an investigator researching beings called Proxies after one attacks her, but there's so much more to it than that. Anyone else heard of this one?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 6:39 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
I have returned to this thread to announce that I am a MASSIVE Komi Can't Communicate fan. The nonbinary character, Osana Najimi, is genderfluid, and while they may be the punchline of jokes at times, I still like them a lot. Then there's Komi who is my absolute favourite character. I absolutely headcanon her as autistic as well as having intense social anxiety. Plus, guess what? Season 2's been confirmed and should air April next year!

I can see Komi as autistic too, since a lot of her problems feel very familiar. Also reminding me of Tomoko Kuroki.

I have been a little let down by some reactions to Najimi being something like it is a joke, or that they haven't confirmed anything, so they can't really be non-binary. While the ambiguity itself is all that is needed to say that they don't fit in the binary, such that they mix gendered uniform, and changed in a gender neutral bathroom in the pool episode.

I talked about them in a forum topic I created called Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Anime Characters in a forum that I frequent. I actually found a number of non-binary or gender ambiguous characters this season such as Yuka from The Blue Period, Eve Louise from Visual Prison, and Leslie Blanc from Deep Insanity was more likely a transwoman. And I was on the edge of mentioning Salwa from The Great Jahy Won't be Defeated, who is less ambiguously a woman, but dresses a bit more masculinely and I think a character questioned if they were a boy.

NaturalEntity wrote:
Another one that I've come back to is Ergo Proxy, which on opening seems like a sci-fi detective story about an investigator researching beings called Proxies after one attacks her, but there's so much more to it than that. Anyone else heard of this one?

I watched bits and pieces of it years ago, when it was showing on tv here. I mostly remember the little girl robot, Pino.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 3:46 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I can see Komi as autistic too, since a lot of her problems feel very familiar. Also reminding me of Tomoko Kuroki.

I have been a little let down by some reactions to Najimi being something like it is a joke, or that they haven't confirmed anything, so they can't really be non-binary. While the ambiguity itself is all that is needed to say that they don't fit in the binary, such that they mix gendered uniform, and changed in a gender neutral bathroom in the pool episode.

I talked about them in a forum topic I created called Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Anime Characters in a forum that I frequent. I actually found a number of non-binary or gender ambiguous characters this season such as Yuka from The Blue Period, Eve Louise from Visual Prison, and Leslie Blanc from Deep Insanity was more likely a transwoman. And I was on the edge of mentioning Salwa from The Great Jahy Won't be Defeated, who is less ambiguously a woman, but dresses a bit more masculinely and I think a character questioned if they were a boy.

I don't feel as though Najimi is a joke. In fact, they're one of the few nonbinary/gender non-conforming characters in anime that I know of today! (YouTuber Noralities, who is also NB, has a great list of their favourite animated GNC/NB characters on their channel.)
The only thing I don't like about Komi is the existence of Yamai Ren for multiple complicated reasons I won't go into here.
Bradleigh wrote:
I watched bits and pieces of it years ago, when it was showing on tv here. I mostly remember the little girl robot, Pino.

If you want a hidden gem about philosophy and existence hidden within a cyberpunk thriller, go watch it! Basically all of it is up on YouTube. There are some reviews on there too if you want to watch one of those before taking a look. (Also, Pino is absolutely adorable.)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 5:22 pm

Initial D Third Stage is my Christmas movie of choice.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 5:23 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
I don't feel as though Najimi is a joke. In fact, they're one of the few nonbinary/gender non-conforming characters in anime that I know of today! (YouTuber Noralities, who is also NB, has a great list of their favourite animated GNC/NB characters on their channel.)

I think that a lot of cis people see the idea of nonbinary people as jokes. Just like Hideyoshi from Baka to Test, where that series used their enby coding to kind of make a spectacle of how funny it is that they make a 'male' character the main source of fanservice, somehow separate from their identical sister, and joked about having their own gender. I think to a lot of people they just see a joke, and not that people can actually identify with it. In the culture there is even more emphasis on biological essentialism, with ideas of ambiguity often seen as the joke, while what their real sex would be should be still a definitive answer.

I did watch Noralities' video, it was pretty good, if mostly a summary of stuff I had seen so far on the subject. I have really liked their videos on Utena and Tutu, since I had kind of thought that I missed to properly enjoy those series, and the analysis of them was pretty cool.

NaturalEntity wrote:
The only thing I don't like about Komi is the existence of Yamai Ren for multiple complicated reasons I won't go into here.

Ah yes, the psychotic queer character.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 12:31 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I think that a lot of cis people see the idea of nonbinary people as jokes. Just like Hideyoshi from Baka to Test, where that series used their enby coding to kind of make a spectacle of how funny it is that they make a 'male' character the main source of fanservice, somehow separate from their identical sister, and joked about having their own gender. I think to a lot of people they just see a joke, and not that people can actually identify with it. In the culture there is even more emphasis on biological essentialism, with ideas of ambiguity often seen as the joke, while what their real sex would be should be still a definitive answer.

I did watch Noralities' video, it was pretty good, if mostly a summary of stuff I had seen so far on the subject. I have really liked their videos on Utena and Tutu, since I had kind of thought that I missed to properly enjoy those series, and the analysis of them was pretty cool.

While it might be new to you, a lot of the stuff she put in was new to me, sinc I only really became an anime fan during lockdown, starting with Cells at Work and scrolling through TV Tropes, probably.
Sad that many NB characters are treated as jokes in Japan, but hopefully that will start changing soon!
Bradleigh wrote:
Ah yes, the psychotic queer character.

It's not her queerness that's the issue. It's the fact that she plays into the "mentally ill people are always violently unstable and will always hurt everyone around them in pursuit of whatever obsesses them at the time" trope. I have seen A LOT of people (many of them mentally ill themselves) criticise that trope. But that's a whole other can of worms we should leave for another thread.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 6:27 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
While it might be new to you, a lot of the stuff she put in was new to me, sinc I only really became an anime fan during lockdown, starting with Cells at Work and scrolling through TV Tropes, probably.
Sad that many NB characters are treated as jokes in Japan, but hopefully that will start changing soon!

I am not knocking me being familiar with a lot already, generally that I am pretty well versed in the medium and topics of gender, and I think that it is great to have some summaries, as well as recommendations to those new. Among the ones they mentioned, Nozaki-kun is a particular favourite, and it is more than just Kashima that the show plays with gender.

I hope the concept of NB characters can improve, as I have started trying to watch the trends through anime. The anime Stars Align was pretty fantastic in doing away some of the ambiguity by having its character, Yu, be introduced as male but come out to someone that his gender is more likely non-binary (anime was cut short before completing their stories). The recent Blue Period started out I think setting up Yuka as being seen as a joke by the main character, but going into seeing how their gender and probably wrongful ideas of gender expectations are a big part of their experience.

And I was really fond of a manga that finished not too long ago called Love Me for Who I Am, which featured a main character who is explicit about their non-binary identity not being a joke, and not one thing trying to pretend to be another. The series as far as I know is more grounded LGBT progress for Japan. There is still weird thoughts about even binary trans people in Japan/anime/manga, but it has been improving, and becoming more accepting of trans people as the gender they identify with.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 7:45 am

Bradleigh wrote:
I am not knocking me being familiar with a lot already, generally that I am pretty well versed in the medium and topics of gender, and I think that it is great to have some summaries, as well as recommendations to those new. Among the ones they mentioned, Nozaki-kun is a particular favourite, and it is more than just Kashima that the show plays with gender.

I hope the concept of NB characters can improve, as I have started trying to watch the trends through anime. The anime Stars Align was pretty fantastic in doing away some of the ambiguity by having its character, Yu, be introduced as male but come out to someone that his gender is more likely non-binary (anime was cut short before completing their stories). The recent Blue Period started out I think setting up Yuka as being seen as a joke by the main character, but going into seeing how their gender and probably wrongful ideas of gender expectations are a big part of their experience.

And I was really fond of a manga that finished not too long ago called Love Me for Who I Am, which featured a main character who is explicit about their non-binary identity not being a joke, and not one thing trying to pretend to be another. The series as far as I know is more grounded LGBT progress for Japan. There is still weird thoughts about even binary trans people in Japan/anime/manga, but it has been improving, and becoming more accepting of trans people as the gender they identify with.

Oh yeah I think I remember you talking about that last one in the LGBTQ+ discussion. I really should read it someday, it sounds amazing.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 8:07 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Recent episodes tried to explain Akito, but regardless of reasons given they are a horrible person that should receive no excuses. At best I think maybe a reveal that Akito is actually kind of pathetic, more pitiful than someone powerful.

Very old post but Akito is one of my all time favorite characters so i had to chime in. I agree she is a horrible person and her "redemption" was sort of too sudden. Its completely normal to hate her. But i have been always drawn to horrible unlikable characters.

The Last scene where she monologues about there being no guarantee that she will be loved in the real world hit me really hard. I identified with her in a way, being so fearful of your world changing you do everything you can do protect it. She lives in a twisted reality where she is the "God" of the only people that are bound to her by a curse. All she knew of relationships were that, she is underdeveloped in a way. I relate to her in that aspect, feelings wise, not behavior wise of course.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 2:55 pm

I've recently been looking at the anime film Perfect Blue, and... it hits hard. Does anyone else know about this film?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 2:44 am

NaturalEntity wrote:
I've recently been looking at the anime film Perfect Blue, and... it hits hard. Does anyone else know about this film?

I do! I love that director's films, if you enjoyed Perfect Blue i highly recommend Paprika and Millennium Actress too!