Scientists discover link between epilepsy & autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 9:42 am

Wondering how many on this forum have epilepsy & ASD. Here is a link confirming a link :D

Scientists discover a link between epilepsy and autism for the first time

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2TSzWoyIH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2013, 4:58 pm

Me. It was worse when I was younger, though.

The connection doesn't surprise me. I did some reading on that topic when I was first diagnosed and it seemed like many autistic people also suffered from epilepsy. They also had a good hypothesis then why this might be, but I cannot remember what it was.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 5:10 pm

I don't think this is anything new. I had epilepsy as a child, although mine was more than likely to do with another brain condition I have. A relative of mine has Autism and epilepsy. I think epilepsy might be genetic in my dad's family.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 5:20 pm

This is not anything new. When I was first researching autism at 13, they already knew about a link between autism and epilepsy.

When journalists talk about a 'new discovery' in science, you can pretty much guarantee it's been known for 5-10 years at least.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2013, 6:16 pm

The headline is misleading, it has been well precedented that autism and epilepsy are genetically linked, but sometimes the manifestation of epilepsy could be attributed to another medical condition (e.g. tuberous sclerosis.) The prevalence of epilepsy amongst individuals with ASD is estimated at 25%, but it is significantly more likely to be of presence in cases of classical autism (low functioning ASD) as clinical features like intellectual disability and receptive/expressive language impairments are construed as denominating factors to the development of epilepsy.
Aspie score: 186 out of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 12 out of 200
AQ: 48/50 EQ: 9/80
Support Neurodiversity

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 6:24 pm

Ettina wrote:
This is not anything new. When I was first researching autism at 13, they already knew about a link between autism and epilepsy.

When journalists talk about a 'new discovery' in science, you can pretty much guarantee it's been known for 5-10 years at least.

I'm pretty sure this one is going to explain why there is a link, not that there is a link. My guess from the shouting heard across the internet about this.

Quazar
Raven
Raven

16 May 2013, 11:00 pm

interesting, apparently I had an epileptic episode when i was young and had to be rushed to the hospital, don't remember any of it though.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:15 pm

So have they released any information on what the link is yet?